Main Menu

The Death Of Dredd

Started by dazza1008, 27 August, 2014, 12:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

I thought Fargo's speech at the end of Origins was as much John speaking to the readers as it was Fargo talking to Dredd.

As for a Dredd death - I don't know - there's a whole 20 year gap that's barely been covered, but creatively difficult since you know the fates of established characters.

DrRocka

I'm all for Rico II taking up the mantle when Joe shuffles off - haven't most of the the last ten years' storylines hinted at his eventually doing just that? Plus, there's the whole "is evil inherent in the bloodline?" topic - would find himself going the same way as Rico I or Kraken once he's got the weight of Dredd's reputation on his shoulders? Would he carve his own niche as Dredd, or continue to think himself as Rico?

So long as it doesn't tread the path worn by Necropolis, I'd be happy for an established clone with established backstory to step into Dredd's boots.

Gotta be a Carlos/Wager production though, or it doesn't count. I've always refused to beleive that the Final Solution exists, even though it's not a terrible read. Just not the same Stront strip I knew and loved for years.
Never ever bloody anything ever

TordelBack

The more I think about all this, the more I fancy an ending where Dredd goes off the rails (from senility, advanced liberalism, whatever) and forces Rico to shoot him, passing the badge in a final moment of lucidity.  Given the prodigious number of his clone kin (and Chief Judges) that Joe has treated in this fashion, it seems only right.

On another note, when do we get to see the Fargos again?

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 27 August, 2014, 12:00:15 PM
I thought Fargo's speech at the end of Origins was as much John speaking to the readers as it was Fargo talking to Dredd.

I'm more interested in that than how Dredd's life comes to an end. Once he'd succeeded in changing the system which defined him, I'm not sure Dredd would see a place for himself in whatever order had replaced it. That would be the end of the Dredd story, for me.

Krakajac

Can't remember the exact prog...but the story 'The Forever Crimes' - written by one 'John Howard' and drawn by Mr Bolland - made mention of a department known as 'The Vaults' (located in the cellars beneath the Justice Building).  Inside, was a suspended animation chamber - used for 'a very special category of prisoner'.

Maybe Dredd could go out in a blaze of glory...with life-threatening injuries...and then get placed in suspended animation for a future generation to fix up.

As Dredd said;

"Even death is no escape from the law!"

Then he can be re-animated for that Red Razors storyline.  ;)

I second DrRocka's suggestion.  Rico II should be given a go.

atp

As this thread shows old stony face's mortality  is on a lot of fans minds.

My take would be to see Joe an Rico gunned down while on patrol together. Rico takes a head shot, while Dredd gets his body blasted.

Justice department could transplant Joe's head  onto Rico's body, thus retaining a true Dredd personality. Remember this has already been established as doable by Bennett Beeny in the aftermath of America.

While Dredd is recuperating the citizens of MC1 could start a vigil. Reporters could move around interviewing randomly, which could take the form of  old stories from early progs retold from a fresh perspective.

This would be a great jumping on point for new readers. Then when Dredd is back on his feet he would have 70+ years of experience in a younger stronger body.

Talk about badass.
The freedom of choice should be compulsory

Skullmo

What about he gets shot up and then they rebuild him as part robot, a kind of Robo-cop
It's a joke. I was joking.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: atp on 27 August, 2014, 02:16:27 PM
While Dredd is recuperating the citizens of MC1 could start a vigil...

Or, more likely, throw a party.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 27 August, 2014, 02:22:06 PM
Quote from: atp on 27 August, 2014, 02:16:27 PM
While Dredd is recuperating the citizens of MC1 could start a vigil...

Or, more likely, throw a party.

Oh that would be the perfect final scene.  Dredd dies, either prosaically or heroically, and Chief Judge Beeny makes the solemn announcement to the citizenry that their greatest hero is dead - only to be greeted with the wildest celebration MC-1 has ever seen.  Magnificent.

NapalmKev

Dredd should finally take the mantle of 'Chief Judge' and then disband the Justice Department and restore Democracy.

Yeah, Crap idea!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Dominic O'Rourke

Ok. Dredds dead. What now?

Would you re-boot and start again?

I'd be happy to see Joe die, but don't think I'd ever want to continue reading about MC1 without Joe.
Member No. 10

Spikes

If we are treated to such a story, would we finally get to see his face?  That would feel like the ultimate full stop to the strip. Be hard to re-boot it after that....

JOE SOAP

Quote from: NapalmKev on 27 August, 2014, 04:40:47 PM
Dredd should finally take the mantle of 'Chief Judge' and then disband the Justice Department and restore Democracy.

There's been no indication that Dredd has lost any of his original contempt for Democracy as a way of running things - Day of Chaos prog#1743 - nor does it seem he's on some sliding scale to old-age liberalism; if anything the 70+ year old has proven in his tenure on the streets it's that he's doesn't wig-out quite the way Rico and Fargo did when the black dog-vulture paid a visit. It seems to be that he believes the Law works best when applied to everyone, equally, and without discrimination - be he mutie..alien...cyborg or human...the Law cannot turn a blind eye - and that the real failings of the Law are down to the flaws of the people who administer it.

There's a growing sense after Origins - and set-up earlier in Necropolis - that Dredd is not so haunted by Rico/Fargo's bloodline ghost as much as he once was but he understands more why they - as people - failed as Judges. Dredd is his own man and whatever Fargo's words are leading towards might be something that's not quite Democracy - or at least maybe democracy with a small 'd'. I don't think any 'ending' would be completely resolute - even if he pops his tight boots.