Main Menu

New York City, imagine that!

Started by I, Cosh, 15 September, 2014, 09:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

So, I thought I might go to the capital of the world in a couple of weeks time and I thought a load of comics people would be the best ones to ask for advice.

Who's been? Who lives there? What's worth seeing, visiting or eating (paging Buttonman)?

Not terribly fussed about Statue of Liberty type tourist pish but will probably dedicate a day to that anyway. More interested in bars, venues, art happenings, interesting book or record shops and that sort of thing. Is there some sort of Warriors or John Carpenter tour I can go on? Quite fancy pitching up at Coney Island on the first El of the morning

Obviously, this place looks amazing.

Think I'll be there for a week or so. Probably hire a bike and cycle around as it always looks pretty flat. Might go to Detroit for a couple of days while I'm there just for a change of scene.
We never really die.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

I, Cosh

We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Statue of Liberty is a must. Truly fascinating.
Lock up your spoons!

Buttonman

I've been four times but have nothing to beat Barcade.

I went first with the wife and did the sights and then with the pals for boozy weekends. last year we went down to Wall Street and drank our way uptown. We had kilts on so lots of locals stopped to chat and we had memorable meetings with John 'Smeato' Smeaton and the Brand Ambassador for Highland Park whiskey who insisted on buying us lots of their wares.

It is very cold later in the year and this snap nearly caused my nipples to fall off.

Other things to do include looking for the Alice in Wonderland staue in Central Park made famous in Buttonman 2.

We also did the 'Kramer Reality Tour' which was great but meaningless unless you've seen all of Seinfeld.

For eats the Carnegie Deli is hard to beat if sandwich size is your measure - this snap is from 20 odd years ago (please note this pre-dates my celebrated 'food face').

I probably wouldn't plan too much - there is so much going on you'll probably get distracted from your planned route anyway. You've also got multiple NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL teams and you can get tickets relatively cheaply from the teams direct.

If you want a dive bar look up Rudy's in Hell's Kitchen - $10 pitchers and free hot dogs.

http://www.rudysbarnyc.com/

I'll probably be over the first week in December - I'll look you up!

ZenArcade

Well OK, Detroit has a lot of problems, but I'm sure you know that. New York is quite simply cutting edge, a wonderful place. The bike is a good idea. The choices for you are literally limitless plus it was the home city to the mighty Ramones.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Buttonman

I'd say Boston would be a better option than Detroit - Hardcore pawn is terrifying!

Montynero

You wanna go to St Marks, Cosh http://www.stmarkscomics.com/ Great comic shop, and It's the best street in the city too. Loads of interesting bars and shops in a similar style. Tell them we're neighbours or something and they might give you a home baked cake.

Bars all need ID regardless of how old you are. Pain in the arse.

Empire State etc complete waste of time and money.

Always something going on in Central Park: roller disco, cocktails, ballet, boating. Anyone can join in. I was there when Banksy was selling some artwork on a stall for $50. I saw it and thought 'Oh look, Banksy rip offs. Shall I buy one? Nah, hassle to carry round' Gah! Could've taken a year off work with the proceeds from that.

radiator

I've met a few people from Detroit and the impression I get is that it's not a very nice place, but perhaps not as bad/rundown/dangerous as the media makes out. There's always the caveat of 'I wouldn't walk around on my own at night', but then I wouldn't recommend people walk around most British towns and cities at night.

SuperSurfer

Been to New York three times. I did the touristy stuff and loved it.

Views from Empire State amazing, as expected. As an alternative, the Rockefeller Centre ('Top of the Rock') gives an excellent views which include the Empire State Building.

On the same trip to the statue of Liberty we did the Ellis Island Museum. Might not interest everyone but we enjoyed it.

Museum of Modern Art is good if you are into galleries.

Highline is quite interesting for a stroll.

Yes, Carnegie Deli worth a visit. Get there hungry though:

(That member of staff's smiley badge needed a dollop of tomato ketchup.)

Worth checking what is on at the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art, which I think has moved since we were there. We had a spare last half day and I wanted to do something to do with comics. As luck would have it MoCCA had a fantastic 'Will Eisner's New York' exhibition which included an entire episode of The Spirit displayed in original and lettered art. Good timing.

We were in a bar having a (very good) burger and next to us was this guy (him on the left) who was a comic artist and he was showing a woman, who I guess was his editor, his work in progress comic pages and she was critiquing and suggesting amendments. Would've liked to have struck up a conversation but didn't feel it was appropriate.

Lawmaster's were still at the early stages though: 

Proudhuff

I'm (Michelle) Shocked!

I haven't been back since 77, heard its changed a bit.
DDT did a job on me

Mattofthespurs

Only been the once (and this was before the cleaned up 42nd street) but I loved it.
Even the hooker offering me business at 8 am whilst I walked hand in hand with my Wife was great!  :)
The nuclear submarine (if it's still there) on the west side is great as are the helicopter rides from the place next door.

Enjoy!  :D

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Montynero on 15 September, 2014, 10:43:07 PM

How very dare you!  >:( I loved TESB I did it three times in 3 days. Lovely views, great architecture, and where King Kong once walked. I recommend it to anyone.

Rog69

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 16 September, 2014, 06:09:28 PM
Quote from: Montynero on 15 September, 2014, 10:43:07 PM

How very dare you!  >:( I loved TESB I did it three times in 3 days. Lovely views, great architecture, and where King Kong once walked. I recommend it to anyone.

I can second that, I went up the Empire state at dusk and seeing the city light up was incredible.

The statue is worth a visit too but the queues for tickets can be horrendous so pre-book if you can, especially if you want to go up to the crown. You can also hop on the Staten island ferry for free and get close to Liberty island.

Bubba Zebill

EJ's Lunchenette for a great classic diner experience with a killer vanilla shake. The one on Amsterdam seems to have closed, so go here if you like diners...http://www.ejsluncheonette.com

Carnegie's is great but dig up Katz's - there's a reason Meg Ryan got so excited - it's the pastrami on rye!
http://katzsdelicatessen.com/photo-gallery/

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105