Main Menu

Zenith Phase One

Started by jabish, 22 October, 2014, 01:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunk!

Ulp, one little gripe/query: A number of the images on the 5 pages of Brendan McCarthy sketches - Voltage, Lux, Task Force UK, Red Dragon and the portraits next to him -just doesn't look like Mr McCarthy's work.

Wonder what others think.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Satanist

Santa is bringing me this and maybe Phase 2  :) Result!

I had a look in FP at it and it does look very nicely collected.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

ming

Quote from: Dunk! on 27 October, 2014, 08:08:47 PM
Ulp, one little gripe/query: A number of the images on the 5 pages of Brendan McCarthy sketches - Voltage, Lux, Task Force UK, Red Dragon and the portraits next to him -just doesn't look like Mr McCarthy's work.

Wonder what others think.

Dunk!

Not seen this in person so I can't comment other than to point you in the direction of Steve Cook's excellent blog...

http://secret-oranges.blogspot.no/search/label/Zenith

-Dunk!-

Yup, those are all the Brendan concept images present in the volume, and it makes me even more convinced the remaining images mentioned above are by a different uncredited artist.

I'd bet my bottom dollar on it.

Great volume nevertheless.

Dunk!

Steve Green

I can't see it myself, they all look like Brendan's designs to me.

Fungus

Look like Brendan to me as well. You might well consider some quick concept art to be rougher and not exactly progworthy, it was never intended for publication after all.

In FP the other day I was in several minds about Phase One. Utter bargain at the knock-down price of 15 quid and looks beautiful. Can't quite justify buying a story I already have. But those Rebellion pushers are turning the screw these days..... as TB said somewhere, this will sell by the bucketload.

I, Cosh

Bah! Just crumbled and bought a copy of this in FP. It really is a gorgeous book.
We never really die.

Steve Green

Yeah,

I have the first couple of Titan collections but it's great to have in a hardback this nicely put together.

dstransmissions

Quote from: -Dunk!- on 28 October, 2014, 02:13:24 PM
Yup, those are all the Brendan concept images present in the volume, and it makes me even more convinced the remaining images mentioned above are by a different uncredited artist.

I'd bet my bottom dollar on it.

Great volume nevertheless.

Dunk!

The sketches you mention are all Grant Morrison's own (uncredited) work, as is the Warhead sketch that appeared in the Complete book (and might make it's way into the new Phase II hardcover).  Apparently there was £200 in the kitty to pay Brendan McCarthy for his design work and once that ran out, Grant and Steve were on their own.  I don't think they did too badly for £200 though :)