Main Menu

2000AD COVER OF THE YEAR VOTE 2014!

Started by Pete Wells, 30 December, 2014, 01:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Some excellent covers this year and a difficult choice, but a choice has to be made:

1st )  1900 Greg Staples Dredd. Just an amazing piece of art.

2nd)  1874 - Edmund Bagwell - jumping on Prog montage. Just because it's the one I found most memorable.

3rd)  1910 - Glenn Fabry Ichabod. Because it's a great pose and because it's Glenn Fabry and he is at number two in my list of all time favourite 2000AD artists.

It was very hard to leave these out: 1908 (Greg Staples Dredd) but I didn't want to vote for the same artist twice (otherwise this would have been number 1), 1889 (Chris Weston Dredd) which has the clean, detailed  line work I love so much, and 1890 (Karl Richardson Aquila) and 1907 (Richard Elson Kingdom)  which are great action shots. I think a mention for Alex Ronald is required as well - I'm no artist but to me his covers seem to be of a very high level technically.

Link Prime

1) 1908- The Stapler
2) 1864- Clint
3) 1897- Alex

james newell

First : Prog 1867 SD mark Harrison, love this super action cover, real mean Alpha

Second : Prog 1895 Dredd Jake Lynch, Brilliant Lynch cover, love the colour choice too

Third :  Prog 1870 Dredd Cliff Robinson/D.Teague, great composition

Actually it was a brilliant year for covers, also loved Henry Flints & Clint Langley covers & TiTan was my favorite story series this year.

Darren Stephens

1: 1889 Chris Weston
2: 1909 Cliff Robinson and Dyan Teague
3: 1900 Greg Staples

So many top covers. It's been a great year!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Woolly

1st Place: Alex Ronald - Prog 1869: Ulysses Sweet.
Faultless, sublime piece of work. He really leans out of the cover. Truly zarjaz!

2nd Place: Greg Staples - Prog 1900: Dredd.
Greg's upped his game by an astonishing amount in recent years, and this cover is a stunning achievement. Thrill-power levels critical!

3rd Place: Nick Percival - Prog 1901: Ichabod Azreal.
I've always had a love/hate relationship with Nick Percival's work, but this cover is a beauty. So much going on, when you examine the detail, and a brilliantly dark atmosphere.

I think my Thrill-buffers have just gone again...

Definitely Not Mister Pops

1) 1892- Colin Macneil is fantastic and this put a massive smile on my face as I lifted it off the shelf. I immediately wanted to show it to everyone. A Facist, a Robot and an Aul' Woman. No other comic would put that on their cover. Splendid.

2) 1895- Dredd covers are prolific. There have been so many good ones, it's a competitive and intimidating field for a rookie to stroll out upon. Jake Lynch strutted out on that field like he fuckkin' owned the place. It speaks volumes that I chose this cover over Cliff Robinson's.

3) 1911- D'Israeli's other Stickleback cover (1903) was a major placeholder this year, but this one stole the show at the last minute. The man's a master of B&W, chiaruscuro and using those things to elevate the medium. Stunning chessboard motif. And the the way the spinal ridges vaguely resemble chess piece's, am I reading too much into it?

Honourable mentions are couched in my choices.
You may quote me on that.

Steven Sterlacchini

1. Prog 1908 Greg Staples
2. Prog 1900 Greg Staples
3. Prog 1889 Chris Weston

Wow, it was very hard to choose this year. A LOT of talent on show. Definitely a golden year for prog covers.

Loved 1908 great to see Dredd all hunched up and intense.

Martintds

1: 1889 Chris Weston
2: 1900 Greg Staples
3. 1909 Greg Staples

Colin YNWA

Found this very tricky this year, while the standard was high I don't think there's been quite the standouts of previous years, lots of really good covers, not so many great covers. Anyway my choices are...

1. 1876 - Alex Ronald, Sinister Dexter and it fair pops out the Prog at you, what's not to love!
2. 1867 - Not as big a fan of Mark Harrison as many here but love this striking cover, the intriguing design really makes it stand out from the herd... even if it does commit the very worst of the logo covering!
3. 1870 - A great design and a perfect example of however great the work Pete does giving us the raw art sometimes the design work that goes around it is what makes the cover something a bit special. Nice smart idea.

CrazyFoxMachine

Good coversyear - definitely erring more towards painted/digitally painted stuff and some real blinders - even if I'm so behind I've not really investigated inside any of them  :-[

1 - Prog 1891 (Black Shuck, Alex Ronald)

All of Ronald's covers this year have been phenomenal without exception - but this for me took the cake. It's just mysterious and glorious. Evocative of something I can't quite put my finger on.

2 - Prog 1889 (Dredd, Chris Weston)

Chris Weston's sensitive Klegg is blindingly detailed, fantablously awesome. Utterly iconic.

3 - Prog 1905 (Ichabod Azrael, Dave Kendall)

Love Kendall's art - there really needs to be more of him on the covers!

Pete Wells

I adore Alex's work but I couldn't get past the huge, phallic sword hilt at the bottom of the image!

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 31 December, 2014, 10:44:46 AMEvocative of something I can't quite put my finger on.

Quote from: Pete Wells on 31 December, 2014, 11:43:39 AM
I adore Alex's work but I couldn't get past the huge, phallic sword hilt at the bottom of the image!

Phwwwoooar

von Boom

8-Ball

I've waited all year for this...

1st place - Prog 1900 Greg Staples (A modern classic - whets the appetite for Dark Justice)
2nd place - Prog 1873 Clint Langley (This image got me interested in A.B.C. Warriors/ Ro-Busters and Savage.)
3rd place - Prog 1903 D'Israeli (just a great composition.)

Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Skullmo

Frist - 1864 - Mongrol vs Mek Quake - Clint Langley
Absolutely love this. If I saw this on the shelf I would grab it straight away. I think Clint's ABC Warriors are amazing.

Second - 1868 - Tubal and the ABC Warriors - Clint Langley
Another ABC cover. This one is just lovely.

1901 - Ichabod - Nick Percival
This series spawned some great cover and this has to be the best of them for me. Love Nick's work and this cover is just gorgeous.

HM goes to all the rest as it has been a great year for covers.
It's a joke. I was joking.