Main Menu

Prog 1918 - Close Encounters of the Nerd Kind

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 14 February, 2015, 11:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

I think the steampunk isnt being praised.dont know what you mean by the on the nose comment?
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

That Rufus cover is just brilliant - jumps right out at you, and a very refreshing contrast with the recent run of (gorgeous) heavily painted and/or muted colour covers. Like Hewlett crossed with B. McCarthy, but all Dayglo.  Great to see him back- now get him on Dredd again!

Hawkmumbler

Hell, get him on anything! Rufus is one of the best artists in the industry and it's a joy to see him back again.

Judge Brian

It will be at least 6 weeks before I get this Prog, but I just wanted to say that I love Tharg's 3rillers. So far the ones that I've read have been pretty great.

ZenArcade

6 weeks!! Jesus I could swim over with the prog quicker than that* Z

*I couldn't, but you know what I mean.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Prodigal2

Superlatives fail me with the Order-I really love it that much. Strong affection for Savage continuing and I am very fond of Survival Geeks-it has an endearing quality reminiscent of yesteryear somehow with me.

TordelBack

Prog sold out in my local Easons!  And only one copy each left of both the Megazine and Mega Collection No. 3.  Either they've cut back on their order or there's been a decent upswing in demand, usually at least 4 progs and 6 Megs on a Thursday (I know, since I always move them in front of the movie mags).  Hopefully its due to good sales, although for me it means the search goes on... 

Goaty

Love the prog!

And Dredd, what an awesome this week! Love this image, sorry people for spoiler,

And does it use head model of John?

James Stacey

That was one of the frames I assumed had been modeld by Mr Burdis.

Steve Green

ZenArcade

Tordel, if you can't get one I'll get you one in Belfast and post it down. Z

TordelBack

Quote from: ZenArcade on 19 February, 2015, 07:01:18 PM
Tordel, if you can't get one I'll get you one in Belfast and post it down. Z

Cheers Zen, I'm sure I'll track one down, only tried the one place so far!

Magnetica

Now sorry if this is a bit nerdy...but way to go...Central Line dot matrix display at Oxford Circus showing trains to Ealing Broadway (my usual stop) and West Ruislip (which I get sometimes). Wow!

(I do n't actual get on at Oxford Circus now, but did last year during the work at Bond Street).

Oh and the Prog was ok this week. Dredd and Savage were more of the same quality as the last few weeks. Will have to re-read The Order to make sense of it at this point I think.

ZenArcade

I lived in Ealing back in the early 90's also. anyway the Meg read and satisfying it was too; now for the Prog. Z

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 14 February, 2015, 12:03:28 PM
I'd say Station to Station is the best opening episode of any Norwichmas to date. Really liked this. A nice blend of vague social satire and weird sci-fi gubbins and good to see Darren Douglas getting something slightly longer to show us what he's made of

It takes a really great artist to make an ordinary looking woman in a hijab and puffa jacket as interesting as a UKIP-voter deity made of lightning. Darren Douglas pulls off that one as well as anybody since Bill Sienkiewicz phoned Alan Moore to ask whether Big Numbers was all just going to be folk using public transport and drinking coffee.

I was really impressed by his use of architecture and light in the episode of Tales From Megacity One he painted recently (Wendell Says, Meg 354), but I think his facility with characters escaped me amid the (enjoyable) gore and wackiness of that tale. This strip is evidence that there's even more to him than his genre work might suggest.

Quote from: Proudhuff on 14 February, 2015, 10:58:19 PM
dont know what you mean by the on the nose comment?

One man's on-the-nose is another's baffling cryptic allusion. "99% of Sun readers say you and Farage should send the benefits-swindling Syrian Gypo 'asylum seekers' back where they came from, Big Dave!":