Main Menu

Blade Runner 2

Started by Goaty, 27 February, 2015, 09:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyl

Yeah, I didn't mind the pacing, would have actually liked more mooching about and less talking!

SuperSurfer

Let me retract my earlier keenness to see this. No chance am I sitting in a cinema for almost three hours.

radiator

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 09 October, 2017, 05:45:13 PM
Let me retract my earlier keenness to see this. No chance am I sitting in a cinema for almost three hours.

Had I known beforehand, I probably wouldn't have gone to see it either.

Rara Avis

Issues with the script / pacing /  time it's still well worth going to see on the big screen.

darnmarr

Quote from: Rara Avis on 09 October, 2017, 07:46:18 PM
Issues with the script / pacing /  time it's still well worth going to see on the big screen.
this can be said of both the old and the new; and  I agree in both instances.

darnmarr

QuoteI also found the occasional line of dialogue a little ropey, and that it veered uncomfortably into hack cliches from time to time - such as the Dr Evil villain

well.......whaddta think of this dialogue?
ahem!
"You could learn from this guy Gaff, he's a god-damn one man slaughterhouse".
or my personal favourite
"Talk about beauty and the beast

— she's both."
(point being; BR was many things, but often not exactly Shakespeare)

The Legendary Shark

Bryant obviously didn't fully understand English because he was a replicant...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Rara Avis

I wasn't sure who directed it but half way through I realised it couldn't be Ridley Scott because it was too good.

Just realised that Denis Villeneuve also directed 'Enemy' which is well worth a watch if you haven't seen it already.

I'm seriously considering going to see BR2049 again ...

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: darnmarr on 09 October, 2017, 09:20:17 PM
QuoteI also found the occasional line of dialogue a little ropey, and that it veered uncomfortably into hack cliches from time to time - such as the Dr Evil villain

well.......whaddta think of this dialogue?
ahem!
or my personal favourite

— she's both."

Fair point, though the original had some truly beautiful dialogue too - 'time to die' may have been a throwaway macho line from Leon, but Roy's callback to it was truly moving and haunting (even if Rutger Hauer did just make it up himself).  I couldn't help feeling that the new one lacked some of that.

Also, I loved the revelation of what Roy's mission was in the original one - [spoiler]he was never going to kill Deckard at all; he just wanted him to share a replicant's sense of imminent mortality[/spoiler].  The new one was far less original plotwise; in fact something similar happened in a story set 2017 years ago.

And, like Jim said, it's not as fresh as the first one - we know this rainy, smoggy world already (and I've owned at least three see-through umbrellas in my time). 

But I liked 2049, all in all, the visuals and soundtrack alone were worth the asking price; and the storyline did justice to the old film. The radioactive zone where [spoiler]Deckard now lives[/spoiler] is a thing of beauty, as is the giant dam. Though I'll still take the first one, every time.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

radiator

Quotewell.......whaddta think of this dialogue?
ahem!
or my personal favourite

— she's both."

Where did I say that I was comparing it unfavourably to the first movie? I don't even like the first movie.

darnmarr

My apologies, I just saw the comment about dialogue and instantly some of Bryant's cheesier lines popped into my head.

Leigh S

I'd watch it but I havent seen the other 2,047 films yet....

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

dyl

Went to see it again and enjoyed it a lot more. There's still bits I'm not keen on but I was able to filter them out and enjoy all the good stuff.

SIP

It was just so good.....not sure where people are finding fault. The original is a masterpiece of design, visuals, atmosphere and sound, but completely lacks in emotional connection and dialogue (for the most part). I feel like 2049 manages to tick those same positives but largely avoids the negatives.

Incredible film in my opinion.