Main Menu

The Dredd Question...

Started by Jacqusie, 01 March, 2015, 03:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Oh my God. Again?! Didn't we have the (most recent) rejuve/stookie/clone/people living longer debate only a week or so ago?!
@jamesfeistdraws

ZenArcade

Ah the joy of endless debates about the colour of Justice Department regulation U's Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richard on 01 March, 2015, 12:54:37 PM
I agree with ZenArcade, it's one thing to live that long, but quite another to still be fighting fit.

As previously mentioned, 70 is the new 40. Dredd could travel back in time 100 years and kick the shit out of any 40 year-old at peak physical condition. Whether he'd now think twice about doing it is another matter.

TordelBack

Dredd's world has hyperspace, teleportation, psychic powers, antigravity, sorcerers, time travel, aliens, primate uplift, dimension warps, fkying bikes, human genetic hybrids, limb regrowth, full-body prostheses, people that live to 130+, zombies, werewolves, dinosaurs, vampires, free robots, talking mules and weather control. But Dredd (an accelerated-growth clone created by a mad scientist, with bionic eyes and total skin regeneration) still being fit at 70 stretches credibility.

ZenArcade

It does doesn't it Tordel. Z

Jacqusie

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

One of the main factors I forsee is that Dredd himself is showing signs of discomfort in his advancing years and whilst is ok with the ethics of cloning, I doubt he would be with stookie etc, and would want to go down some path with some dignity.

Someone mentioned credibility, that's quite a big thing for the character to maintain when they are knocking on the door of their 80s innit?

flesario

Not in the broader context of all the points raised in this thread.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jacqusie on 02 March, 2015, 03:25:58 AM
Someone mentioned credibility, that's quite a big thing for the character to maintain when they are knocking on the door of their 80s innit?

Have you actually read anything anyone has posted on the last two pages of this thread? If you have, then try engaging with some of those points rather than just reiterating your initial position.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

James Stacey

Quote from: Recrewt on 01 March, 2015, 01:05:20 PM
  Perhaps it's just the post DoC thing but there has been a lot of stories where Dredd has seemed old and tired which can confuse things - is he a fit 40 year old or an older man?
Hes a fit 40 year old physique with a 70 year old brain

Fungus

Quote from: James Stacey on 02 March, 2015, 09:52:03 AM
  Perhaps it's just the post DoC thing but there has been a lot of stories where Dredd has seemed old and tired which can confuse things - is he a fit 40 year old or an older man?

Yup.
He can beat up any perp with ease, just can't remember why.

Recrewt

Quote from: Fungus on 02 March, 2015, 10:08:14 AM

Yup.

:lol: :lol: I look forward to the upcoming story where Dredd has to retrace his steps to find the keys for the Lawmaster!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Recrewt on 02 March, 2015, 12:42:28 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 02 March, 2015, 10:08:14 AM

Yup.

:lol: :lol: I look forward to the upcoming story where Dredd has to retrace his steps to find the keys for the Lawmaster!

After forgetting to say 'Bike - to me!!'

Steve Green

ZenArcade

Jacqusie

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 March, 2015, 09:16:28 AM
Quote from: Jacqusie on 02 March, 2015, 03:25:58 AM

Have you actually read anything anyone has posted on the last two pages of this thread? If you have, then try engaging with some of those points rather than just reiterating your initial position.

Yes I have actually read the posts. If you mean have I read your theory, then yes I read that too and still feel that an 80 year old Judge is an 80 year old man no matter how far into the future we go. True there are more modern methods of medicine and advances in technology which will see the average life span rise (and if we believe it, our IQ).

They can refit his eyes, grow new limbs and give him as many shots of adrenaline as they want (which always makes me smile) and even give him a talking horse to ride, but I'm sure one day I don't really want to be reading about an 80-90 year old Dredd as some kind of infallible mandroid style Judge.

Therefore when I talk about credibility Jim, I suppose that it's probably from a biased view that I have formed of Dredd in the last 10 years as becoming more human and aware of his mortality. I think the work Wagner has done on his most celebrated character in those years, is nothing short of outstanding. Since Bloodline, he's taken the Dredd concept to a more accessible place for us to understand the character and his inner thoughts (remember those blue eyes in Tale of the Deadman?) I know they were bionics, but you get my point - we saw Joseph then and followed his internal monologues since...

That's my point... Dredd has become more human, more self-effacing and less a machine and, in my opinion, therefore more credible a character than some of his contemporaries.

Thanks for letting me reply to your points,

Cheers

Si