Heroin Skateboards & The Dark Judges

Started by Robo-K33F, 07 April, 2015, 01:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robo-K33F

Out now in the US and coming to the UK in May;

Banners

SmallBlueThing

Richmond Clements

I dunno... it's a name that leaves me wanting more...

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Banners

Given the comic's current demographic, shurely they'd be better off marketing co-branded pension schemes and electric blankets.

ZenArcade

Eh, eh....what was that young Banners said nurse? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

shaolin_monkey

Shame about the brand name, or I'd be all over this. I need at least one new deck. I suppose a bit of black paint would sort it though.

Pete Wells

I'd be mad keen on a Dark Judges Zimmer frame!

locustsofdeath!

Are we really all so upset about the brand name?! Ugh. It must suck to be so eaily offended.

I'm going to pick up one of these decks for sure. I've been skateboarding a lot again since last summer.

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Teivion

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 07 April, 2015, 03:24:01 PM
Are we really all so upset about the brand name?! Ugh. It must suck to be so eaily offended.

I'm going to pick up one of these decks for sure. I've been skateboarding a lot again since last summer.

Agreed !
Jeeze, some people....

Used properly, you'd prob grind off the logo in the first week, anyhow.

Well done 2K for getting product out in a new, very lifestyle/ fashion based industry.

Banners

Quote from: locustsofdeath!Are we really all so upset about the brand name?! Ugh. It must suck to be so eaily offended.

I'm not offended, I just don't like it (similar to my feelings on rugby – I don't like it, but it doesn't offend me).

I think it's a shame that a brand I love and care about is allying itself with a brand named after an horrific drug in what I assume is some attempt to appear cool and fearless.

And yes, I know there's an irony that this association involves a character called Death (even more fatal than heroin!), and I know we're all about rebellion and being anti-authoritarian here, and I know it's not just as simple as saying 'drugs are bad', and I know skateboarding is subversive. Yes, I get the counter-arguments to my own.

Edit: And I get that causing such outcry from boring old duffers like me adds to the brand's cachet amongst its target audience.

But we're being presented with something here – something official no less – that literally says "2000 AD x Heroin".

I don't know if the "x" is a kiss, a deformed plus "+" or a multiply "×" symbol, but either way it implies a direct association that I think is tasteless.

shaolin_monkey

Offended isn't the word, but neither would I advocate the drug heroin. While I'm generally liberal about drugs, that one I particularly hate having had a family member die from using it.  I wouldn't wear a similar logo on my shoes, t-shirt or rucksack either.

But like I said, a lick of black paint, and job done.

To be honest, it's only abject laziness on my part that is stopping me buying a plain deck and painting it myself, as I did with this one many moons ago.

Stella Dave

:D I'm all over these!! Two of my favourite things, these will take pride of place on my wall beside my other decks.

If you're offended by a brand name you need to get out more. It's cos it's 'offensive' it's done so well, never heard of 'sex sells'? It's just a name and they're obviously targeting a new audience. Would you have been offended when you were 16? No.

Shaolin, that's awesome. Do you still have it? I did a Suicidal Tendencies Skate or Die one which is hung up in my garage! Bit offensive eh?  :lol: