Main Menu

Sci-Fi Special 2015

Started by SmallBlueThing, 24 June, 2015, 11:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

they already did a bumper "Best of 2000ad" hardback a few years back, but more in that format would be welcome. I agree that the annuals have had their day and Christmas nostalgia notwithstanding, the contents were often a bit poor.

(wish we had a search function so I could find Mike Carroll's fabulous advent calendar image of the annuals we never had)

Molch-R

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 June, 2015, 11:19:10 AM
they already did a bumper "Best of 2000ad" hardback a few years back

Aye, and the fact that we still see it lingering on book shop shelves all these years later and there's never been another volume tells you all you need to know about how that licensed book went :/

Dandontdare

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 June, 2015, 11:19:10 AM
they already did a bumper "Best of 2000ad" hardback a few years back, but more in that format would be welcome. I agree that the annuals have had their day and Christmas nostalgia notwithstanding, the contents were often a bit poor.

(wish we had a search function so I could find Mike Carroll's fabulous advent calendar image of the annuals we never had)

It's on his website

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Lovely, but it's Staples, so you'd expect nothing less.

Dredd: Fairly standard stuff, bit of a throwaway tale really, but enjoyable enough both in art and tale.

Robo Hunter:  Nice to see Sam back, but he never really reads like the character of old nowadays.  So while it was decent enough, still not close to the thrill levels of the old days.

Future Shocks:
  Sure I seen an almost identical one years back....maybe more that once, can't recall.  Lovely art from Higgins, a welcome return.

Ace Trucking Co:  While I always enjoyed it in the old days (I suspect more for art and lingo than actual plot!) felt a bit of a filler.  Think it's s strip best left retired. ;)

Survival Geeks: Always a visual treat, and it's no different here.  I know it's not for everyone, but I quite like it.

Rogue Trooper: Pick of the special for me.  Even if Rogue ain't in it much, the art is great, and the script does feel like the old school rogue from the 300's.

Well done all involved. :D

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

DrJomster

Quote from: Molch-R on 24 June, 2015, 02:32:54 PM
Due to circumstances beyond our control (thanks a lot, Apple!) the Sci-Fi Special won't be available to purchase on the 2000 AD Newsstand app.

HOWEVER!

You CAN still get it on the app by logging in to the 2000 AD webshop with your Rebellion ID (the one linked to your app) and purchasing it there, then downloading it onto your app. Fiddly, but it'll do the job.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks, this worked fine. Bit curious as to why they did this though. I'll be scanning the pages for offending material as I read! :)
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Dandontdare

Quote from: DrJomster on 26 June, 2015, 10:59:56 PM
Quote from: Molch-R on 24 June, 2015, 02:32:54 PM
Due to circumstances beyond our control (thanks a lot, Apple!) the Sci-Fi Special won't be available to purchase on the 2000 AD Newsstand app.

HOWEVER!

You CAN still get it on the app by logging in to the 2000 AD webshop with your Rebellion ID (the one linked to your app) and purchasing it there, then downloading it onto your app. Fiddly, but it'll do the job.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks, this worked fine. Bit curious as to why they did this though. I'll be scanning the pages for offending material as I read! :)

Any prog that DOESN'T include something that an image-conscious American corporation may find offensive is a prog that I don't want to read.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 June, 2015, 11:09:00 PM
Any prog that DOESN'T include something that an image-conscious American corporation may find offensive is a prog that I don't want to read.

And so say all of us!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Beaker

No sign of it in W H Smiths or Forbidden Planet in Brum yesterday, one of the Orgrons in FP said he thought they'd had some in earlier in the week but nowt to be seen.

Have ordered online, will be something to look forward too next week.
"I've got 'em.....I just ain't scratching!'

Leigh S

I got mine from Nostalgia

Beaker

Quote from: Leigh S on 28 June, 2015, 10:27:54 PM
I got mine from Nostalgia

I didn't go as far down as Nostalgia...was a bit pushed for time as I was late into town. Glad they had them there, though.
"I've got 'em.....I just ain't scratching!'

Radbacker

:'( I cant get these from my normal newsies, I've missed the Winter and Summer Specials too can I get these from the store?

CU Radbacker

Molch-R

Quote from: DrJomster on 26 June, 2015, 10:59:56 PM

Nowt to do with the contents - we're moving to a stand-alone 2000 AD app on iTunes for comics/GNs/specials, while the Newsstand app will just have the weekly Prog in it. This is due to changes in Apple's T&Cs regarding Newsstand apps. We'll announce more details this week, but don't worry - you'll be able to access all your existing purchases through the new app and we'll have more content coming promptly.

IndigoPrime