Main Menu

Are we in a new golden age of 2000Ad art?

Started by Magnetica, 21 July, 2015, 10:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judda fett

Keeping it golden art-wise I'd like to request way more Cliff Robinson, Dylan Teague and David Roach in the prog to keep the carats up!

Andy B

I think there's an ingredient missing: a new ongoing multiple-artist  series that can run in the Prog for most of the time, not just 10 episodes a year.  The ending of Dante left a big hole that, for me, hasn't been filled.

(Maybe it could be something aimed at a younger audience: kids who are the same age that people like me - and, I suspect, many of you - were during that first golden age)

Also, the endless cycle of jumping-on progs feels a bit tired... I get the marketing behind it (I wonder how successful it is?), but a Prog in which everything is at part 6 is inherently less exciting than more of a mix: I always find myself taking longer to get around to reading it... Then, every 3 months, there's a scrappy period of filler building up to the next cycle. I know there were jumping on progs back in the day (Prog 178!), but fewer of them, so they were a bigger deal. My memory could be false, but my recollection is that there was always something coming to an end, or starting (sometimes unannounced!) to keep things unpredictably exciting.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: awbrown on 28 July, 2015, 02:57:50 PM
I think there's an ingredient missing: a new ongoing multiple-artist  series that can run in the Prog for most of the time, not just 10 episodes a year.  The ending of Dante left a big hole that, for me, hasn't been filled.

Yep, hugely agree with that.

Also, the endless cycle of jumping-on progs feels a bit tired... I get the marketing behind it (I wonder how successful it is?), but a Prog in which everything is at part 6 is inherently less exciting than more of a mix...

Disagree with that, though - and you really can't underestimate the marketing potential of regular jump-ons in the internet age. This isn't the 80s - things have changed hugely for print media (and comics particularly) in thirty years and Rebellion would be fools not to arm themselves with every last arrow in the quiver.
@jamesfeistdraws

Andy B

Fair comment: if it really works, they need to do it.

I totally didn't notice the '...art' at the end of the question at the head of this thread. I'd like to shorten my answer to 'yes'!

The Adventurer

I generally think comics in general are benefitting from better art across the board. So it's not nessisarily exclusive to Tooth.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

ZenArcade

Some good comments there awbrown. Post more. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 July, 2015, 09:24:20 PM
Also, the endless cycle of jumping-on progs feels a bit tired... I get the marketing behind it (I wonder how successful it is?), but a Prog in which everything is at part 6 is inherently less exciting than more of a mix...

Disagree with that, though - and you really can't underestimate the marketing potential of regular jump-ons in the internet age. This isn't the 80s - things have changed hugely for print media (and comics particularly) in thirty years and Rebellion would be fools not to arm themselves with every last arrow in the quiver.

Yeah but the two are mutually exclusive. I completely get the marketing need (and I get the impression awbrown does as well from his post) but that doesn't mean in some ways that necessity is a shame.