Main Menu

Parental discretion (or: When can a 10 year old watch Alien?)

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 17 November, 2015, 08:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 November, 2015, 11:10:26 AM
Quote from: HdE on 19 November, 2015, 10:47:08 AM
But it still properly terrifies me. Even now.

There's something fundamentally, primally scary in Giger's design. I was at the Bristol con a few years ago, and there was a guy in a really good Alien costume* — the first time I saw it was in my peripheral vision, coming up a corridor from behind me. All the hairs on my neck stood up and I felt a clench in my stomach before I even properly registered what the costume was.

Cheers

Jim

*Clever design. I'm pretty sure he** was wearing its head like a hat, and the tail was articulated and (I think) the tip was attached to the shoulder 'fins' with fishing line, so that it snaked out horizontally behind him.

**Or she, now that I think about it.

Strue!
I went to the Aliens 'ride'/walk/run thro' thingy at the Arches in Glasgow many years ago. There was a great bit of theatre set within a Lift, where the doors open and a huge Alien grabs a (planted actor!) occupant of the lift. Strangely, one of the lifts at work is very very similar and its always there in the back of my mind just as the doors start to slide open.
DDT did a job on me

HdE

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 November, 2015, 11:10:26 AM
There's something fundamentally, primally scary in Giger's design. I was at the Bristol con a few years ago, and there was a guy in a really good Alien costume* — the first time I saw it was in my peripheral vision, coming up a corridor from behind me. All the hairs on my neck stood up and I felt a clench in my stomach before I even properly registered what the costume was.

Oddly enough, I never found the Alien itself scary. I mean, yeah, it has the kind of presence in the movies that makes you go 'oh SHIT!' whenever it appears. It was always the Facehugger that properly brought me out in a cold sweat.

BUT - did you see that post I made on Facebook a while back, Jim? Funny story:

I'd been working all through the night to get a big (and top secret) project done. About 6:00AM, I went into the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea so I could wind down and finally relax before getting a few hours decent kip.

I fished the milk out of the fridge and turned around, only to see THE ALIEN ITSELF standing at the upstairs window of the house opposite. And it full on reared back and made menacing motions as I saw it. My brain misfired, and forgetting for a moment that it could not POSSIBLY be real, I ended up wearing half a carton of milk.

The rational explanation?

The guy in the house opposite works crazy hours. He was putting in an early morning gaming session on Alien Isolation, on his MASSIVE TV, which literally fills the visible space though his window. So that's how I saw a moving, conceivably 'life sized' alien in my sleepy little Devon village.

I have never felt like such a prize chump.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

blackmocco

Just like to point out that a ten year old in this day and age is going to be bored shitless watching Alien. One of my favorite movies, but it requires some concentration for the full effect and as nothing of any great excitement happens until a third of the way in, I would think my daughter would never speak to me again if I made her sit through it. While we might marvel at Ridley Scott's ability to create atmosphere with endless shots of an empty, cavernous spacecraft, little people just get bored with that shit. There are a LOT of scenes with people just sitting around talking. Look, I thought I was going to have a great father-daughter bonding night when she agreed to watch Predator with me last year and she couldn't take it. Thought it was boring and stupid. The cheek! Anyway, I've thought about showing her Alien myself but figure I'll wait so she can properly appreciate it for all that it is.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Devons Daddy

TEN YEARS OLD

i would suggest when the female care giver of the household is away! then its good DAD parenting.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

milstar

I stumbled across thread and plenty of interesting comments are found here. I suppose parent censorship goes from parent to parent. In my case, well, at the risk of being called hypocrite, I'll definitely be wary of showing such "risky" film(s) to my kids. I am childless, btw, but I know exactly that I definitely wouldn't allow my kids watch several movies that I did in my youth. In that regard, I am perhaps a bit more strict than my parents, who were somewhat loose, but not full-on loose. Although, my memory is shaky and I really can't remember what movies were on the telly, that my folks had to switch the channel. Maybe they personally didn't like it, anyway. But like I say, they weren't so much restrictive. Predator is one of the first films I remember, I was perhaps 9 and was blown away by the film. I remember that I stayed pretty late to see it (well, perhaps 10, 11pm was then pretty late for me at that age). When Arnie was covered in mud and Predator creeping in front of him. Alien I saw a bit later, I think I was 11 or 12 and loved that too. Not so much the characters, but I liked the visual. And the third act was mind-blowing, when Ripley is running down the ship's corridors to escape the beast. Just wow. Also, it looked as pretty much a fresh movie to me and that was in the early 2000s.
In retrospect, I say that I probably watched the movies that in majority were the ones I should watch, during my growing up. Schwarzenegger, a bit of Bruce Willis and other sundry actioneers. With a bit of touch of sf and horrors/thrillers. Although I can't say I was a big movie buff them well, not until I was around 14. Movies that I remember as disturbing or freakish from that period were The Last Boy Scout (whose language stunned me), for similar reasons Internal Affairs (also, it was my first experience of what means to be an actor as I saw Richard Gere in some movie previously where he was so totally different than his heartless character in Internal Affairs); Fire on the Sky is the first movie that I wanted to escape screaming. I am talking about the alien experiment part at the end. When I was a bit older (perhaps 16-17), I saw Cronenberg's Videodrome and also wanted to run away when the corpse started disintegrating in very gory fashion. Oh, and Darkman creeped me out too. Shot as it is a living nightmare.

Quote from: Satanist on 17 November, 2015, 06:04:25 PM
Next ups A Serbian Film  :) Only joking next ups Dog Soldiers.

Lol. This post reminds me on a thread on IMDB, back when IMDB had forum too. In which someone asked if ASF is the perfect film for a father and son to watch together. Perhaps the best case of trolling I've ever seen :)
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Food for thought, Milstar. But your serious tone is hamstrung by this beauty of a comment.

Quote from: milstar on 04 May, 2021, 07:08:03 PM

Lol. This post reminds me on a thread on IMDB, back when IMDB had forum too. In which someone asked if ASF is the perfect film for a father and son to watch together. Perhaps the best case of trolling I've ever seen :)
Lock up your spoons!

milstar

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 04 May, 2021, 07:23:42 PM
Food for thought, Milstar. But your serious tone is hamstrung by this beauty of a comment.

I do my best.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.