Main Menu

DUNE

Started by Tiplodocus, 20 November, 2015, 06:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

von Boom

I looks good, but I have reservations.

dweezil2

Have to say, I felt a little unmoved  by the trailer, then again the whole concept of Dune has always left me a little cold.
Couldn't  get on with the books and I was pretty unimpressed with the David Lynch take on the material.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

von Boom

I've watched it a few times now and it's leaving me rather flat. It's always a bad sign when you start laughing at a trailer that's meant to be serious. Someone should pass Momoa a jar of mustard.

The Enigmatic Dr X

That trailer is a bit incoherent. Not too impressed.
Lock up your spoons!

DrRocka

I don't know anything about Dune, haven't read the books, but that just reminds me of those John Carter/Jonah Hex type films that came out a while ago - something to watch on Netflix while you're doing your ironing that you don't really remember next day when someone asks what you've watched recently.
Never ever bloody anything ever

broodblik

The trailer is fine and I am looking forward for this. What I do think does not work in this trailer is the choice of music ;always an important part of a successful movie/trailer.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

I loved the music, very appropriate, but it does create a worrying resemblance to the awesome-but-ill-fated Valerian trailer (I liked V&TCoaTP, but I may have been alone in that).  It helps that I'm not the biggest fan of the books (I struggled after the first,  despite liking Herbert's shorter stuff), so I'm just looking for some spicy dynastic messianic spectacle.

broodblik

I read the books about 25 years ago. I enjoyed it at the time but it is still Herbert's writing style is for me quite heavy if you compare it to both Asimov and Clarke.

wedgeski

I'm reminded of the 'Shut Up & Sit Down' review of the Dune boardgame where Quinns said: "If you've not read the Dune novels then I fully recommend the first half of the first book."

'Blade Runner 2049' didn't massively connect with the movie-going public, and I have an irrational feeling the same thing will happen here. That said, everything looks solid.

TordelBack

My guess is that the cast will save it at the Box Office/Streaming Service. Chalamet and Zendaya are a winning couple for the Disney Channel generation, and Isaac and Momoa remain a perennial attraction for the ladyfolk (my subset of same anyway).  Plus Bautista, Skarsgard and of course Rampling for the discerning gentleman.

Barrington Boots

I'm looking forward to this. The worm looks brilliant, Paul looks fey, plus Charlotte Rampling. No Feyd Rautha though? I'm assuming they're combining two characters to have Rabban pull double nephew duty.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

TordelBack

The thing I like about the worm is that it's not overdesigned.  It is what it is.

Barrington Boots

Totally agree.
How can any film with a giant worm in it not be worth watching?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

BPP

Just looks like a remastered version of lynchs.

The trailer shows all the same key scenes and then they go a reveal the worm design at the end.... meh.

Still obvs will give it a shot, Lynch's version remains great fun so let's hope this is.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd