Main Menu

Is this It For Ghostbusters Two....

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 19 February, 2016, 10:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Modern Panther on 31 July, 2016, 09:39:10 PM
... a loveable hunk of meat.  Imagine if the original, rather than a strong willed Sigourney Weaver, featured an idiotic bimbo who Bill Murray kept trying to molest.  It's that level of unpleasant.

Our party all assumed that was pretty much the point/joke about the character.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

Men's feelings bedamned, the original still works for me because it's completely irreverent so the new one could populate itself with as many stupid characters as it wants as long as it's still entertaining. I don't expect a film about ghost exterminators to be a P.K.E. Meter of gender politics even if it was a conscious decision to make the team female.

The only thing that came close to perturbing me in GB was that it needed to go through the motions, moving from scene to scene like a stylus crossing empty, crackly vinyl to the next track, which got in the way of the stuff that approached originality - like Ronan, the Metal gig and the obvious excising of some other threads - but it's still a funnier, better film than Ghostbusters II by a long mile.

futureimperfect

I posted a quick bit in the last movie watched thread, but now that it's the next day and I've had time to process my feelings about the film, I thought I'd put them here.

Firstly, I thought the film was great. Nothing wrong with it at all. I loved all the various cameos throughout the film. And there were a lot of great gags too. One of the biggest complaints I've read is that the ghosts look too fake...I actually heard them referred to as "Haunted Mansion Ghosts". I thought this was meant to be a childrens film. Just like how the haunted mansion is a childrens film. I did not go in expecting s#!7 your pants scary ghosts. The ghosts were perfectly fine.

Another common complaint I've read is that it's sexist because Chris Hemsworth is playing an idiot. Even though he is Australian. And how he acts on screen is how the majority of aussies are in real life. People say that he is objectified throughout the film...really? Women have been objectified in cinema since the beginning, and now finally they have switched it up and men are screaming that it's not fair? I had no problem with the way his character was portrayed.

The biggest complaint though is that all of these middle age fat balding nerds crying that their beloved franchise has been raped by Hollywood. Boo-f%$&%#-hoo. This isn't the first film to be remade. I'm a fan of the original The Day The Earth Stood Still. Was I upset when they made a modern version of it? No. Guess what. My copy of the original is still exactly the same as it was the day I got it. The creation of a newer version did not devalue the original one bit. If you really don't want to see your favorite childhood film ruined in a remake, then don't go. But don't cry like it's the worst thing that has ever happened. Because other people still want to see it.

If you haven't seen it, and you have kids, go and see it. If you haven't seen it and you don't have kids, go and see it all the same. It might be the last time you get to see [spoiler]Dan Aykroyd[/spoiler] on the big screen!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: GordonR on 01 August, 2016, 12:17:53 PM
Yeah, we watched the original Ghostbusters very recently, and Bill Murray's intro scene is well creepy - misusing the authority of his job to try and seduce a female student about half his age.  And this is the scene that's supposed to make us like and sympathise with our deadpan hero.

How times change.

It was creepy, definitely, and I'm pretty sure it was intended to be creepy, and designed for us to not like Venkman from the outset.  However, as we follow through the film and we follow his journey he does eventually redeem himself, and become the hero - almost.  He's still pretty creepy when he's trying to kiss Dana in the closing credits.

Modern Panther

This was my problem with it.  It's a perfectly adequate comedy, and I certainly don't think that its existence has any damaging effect on the original, or that my childhood is now ruined.

Venkman's behaviour in the early scenes sets him up as a manipulative and morally weak coward.  He is gradually redeemed until he becomes worthy of the attention of Dana.

In this version, the only character development around Hemsworth's character is that Gilbert starts unpleasantly leering at him and suddenly realises that he is beneath her. 

Every male character in the film is portrayed as a useless buffoon.  This may well have been a "I'm drinking a mug of man tears" type attempt at humour/revenge, but I thought that having a character who was such an extreme caricature really slowed down the scenes he was in.  Someone actually wrote a whole exchange where he talks about his dog, Mike Hat. 

Goaty