Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread  (Read 104250 times)

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
Re: The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread
« Reply #825 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:49:23 pm »

Prog 2001ad

Well this bodes well doesn't it.

Okay so lets say it Bad Company doesn't start great (things won't improve as I recall). That aside end of year Prog that really marks the start of 2002. One great Dredd - Wagner and Staples return Slick Dickens, one okay one by Rennie and Kennedy. This will be kinda emblematic of Dredd this year I susepct as the new breed start to find their feet.

Bryan Talbot proves how wonderfully his art can convey story and the story he conveys wordlessly is decent. Sinister Dexter provide a Christmas bullseye.

We then get three stories that will join Dredd and Bad Company onto 2002 and this is where all the optimism comes in. I really enjoy the drug fuelled psychedelic trip that is Storming Heaven, well I did last time I read it and this opener by Gordon R with just sublime art from Fraser Irving shows that should hold. Dante is in sooner than expected and what a delight... well okay so Dante is crushed and broken, lost and without hope. Its dark and brilliant.

But star of the show is the Earth shattering, mankind dismissing violence fest that is SHAKARA! If for no other reason than

1) There a lot more red in it than I remember
2) I'd also forgotten I'd got the splash page in this issue signed by Henry Flint and Robbie Morrison so that was a very nice surprise.

Of course there's not 'no other reason'  as the other reason is its bloomin' a mindless delight and utterly wonderful.

So yeah they may be keeping bad company but with these and Dredd we'll be okay - right?

broodblik

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: 12 September, 2019, 03:39:41 am »
With me re-read of Shakara recently (I never read the first arc) I can concur, Shakara is just brilliant. Red is later joined by Green ending with Blue.

AlexF

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
    • Heroes of 2000AD blog
« Reply #827 on: 12 September, 2019, 03:02:39 pm »
I very distinctly remember that first series of Shakara running in the Prog. It coincided with me first taking out a subscription to 2000AD and getting it delivered to my own flat, as opposed to picking up stacks of Progs from my parents' house in University holidays. And it was so effin' good.

The Smith era neatly marks out the point when I became an 'adult' 2000AD fan, not just someone still reading what I thought of as my big brother's comics. (although he'd basically stopped reading 2000AD around Prog 1000, when he left the country. I don't think it was because of the state of the Prog at the time, but you never know.)

My recollection going forward is that you're about to climb a giant hill of awesomeness, with a few stumbles on the way but basically reaching a thrill plateau in 1-2 years. I look forward to reading your thoughts!

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: 12 September, 2019, 09:20:26 pm »
With me re-read of Shakara recently (I never read the first arc) I can concur, Shakara is just brilliant. Red is later joined by Green ending with Blue.

I'd forgotten the green - have to be honest can't wait to get to the later Shakara - as I recall the series just goes from strenght to strenght.

My recollection going forward is that you're about to climb a giant hill of awesomeness, with a few stumbles on the way but basically reaching a thrill plateau in 1-2 years. I look forward to reading your thoughts!

That pretty much nails my expectation and the stumbles are individual stories rather than periods of any significence. Looking forward to finding out.

Just a quick fly by to preclaim another BRILLIANT thing about Shakara. The recap box, which for other gives us a 100(ish) word summary of a series for Shakara just says

Unknown life form Unknown life form unknown life form Unknown life form Unknown life form unknown life form Unknown life form Unknown life form unknown life form Unknown life form Unknown life form unknown life form Unknown life form Unknown life form unknown life form Unknown life form Unknown life form unknown life form Unknown life form Unknown life form unknown life form Unknown life form Unknown life form unknown life form Unknown life form Unknown life form unknown life form

Genius.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: 14 September, 2019, 09:23:36 pm »

The first relaunch Prog of 2002 comes after only 7 issues (8 if you count Prog 2002 ad). Its a Diggle-era-esque thrill sized set of stories. The irony being that the begining of Matt Smith's time as Tharg's Little Helper delivers 'the rocket fuel shot of thrillpower*' better than anything from Diggle's actual time in charge. Of course in times of transition such as these you have to assume the predecessor has much to do with the early material in their successors time, but we'll never know how much and how much a hand Matt Smith as Assistant Tharg's Little Helper at the end of Andy D's term.

Anyway enough blatter, its a time of perfect tight short sharp thrills. The Zenith of Diggle's time, out of time.

There's some solid done in one Dredd's from ensemble writing cast of non-Wagers. Then we get two belters.

Storming Heaven an 8 parter in essense covers a LOT of ground. A tale of the raise of heroes fresh from the summer of love. The twisting of that by evil and self interest. The destruction that brings and the dawning of the age of aqurious to wrap it all up. Its just like Love like Blood in that sense. Its covering so much its episode's at times feel like plot summaries more than parts of a story. The drug fueled theme of this story makes this work in this case however and its blistering, ugly fun exquisitly rendered by Fraser Irving. This thrill just works.

Shakara goes a different route to make the compacted space it has work. It keeps things simple and enigmatic. An everyday tale of interstella revenge as the surviving member of ??? finds increasing Kirbyesque ways of tearing through those that lead their race ??? to its bitter end. What it doesn't have space for it leaves aside to keep to this wonderfully basic formula. In doing this the rocket fuelled designs of Henry Flint reign supreme and its an absolute delight.

Of course it couldn't sustain that format and this one develops into a firm favourite and I can't wait - but seem to recall I'll have to - for this to come back.

There's some nice bits and bobs backing two up, and some average and then there's Bad Company 2002 which sadly is the only shortcoming in this otherwise consistantly great series. This one seems to want to set something else up and might have worked if it had. As it stands however it has no reason. The ideas have been covered, Kano gains nothing and the release of Danny from the Krool Heart has no purpose, reason or meaning. Its a real let down.

Overall though this is a great start to 2002.

A nice aside is in Prog 1277 we get Alan Grant set up a cool looking Crystal Skull hooded assasin type. Taking Dredd down and threatening to finish it off at some unstated time ... my shoddy memory means I genuinely can't remember if this gets fulfilled or if this thread is left hanging. So I get to enjoy this all over again... maybe...

*[normalfontsize] Accepting the reason for the size of thrills wasn't the above misquoted editoral edict - but the desire for short sharp punches of thrillpower was still in that manifesto.[\normalfontsize]