Main Menu

Prog 1998 - A Dredd End

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 10 September, 2016, 10:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Timothy

PJ has never used a pink triceratops as a murder weapon before, but I wouldn't put it past him.

dweezil2

Ooooh!

Nice bit of Boo Cook that!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 16 September, 2016, 03:13:48 PM
PJ has never used a pink triceratops as a murder weapon before, but I wouldn't put it past him.

Maybe he IS the pink triceratops - that black voice was the rage of species wiped out 65 millions years ago and PJ's mushed multilated body has risen in fresh form.

You know it makes sense.

dweezil2

Quote from: Colin_MakingyamindUP on 16 September, 2016, 05:13:56 PM
Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 16 September, 2016, 03:13:48 PM

Maybe he IS the pink triceratops - that black voice was the rage of species wiped out 65 millions years ago and PJ's mushed multilated body has risen in fresh form.

You know it makes sense.

It would explain why he never offed Grunderson during 'Lady Killer' when he had a chance- he can bullseye Dredd and Grunderson at the same time!  :o

Colin YNWA

Well colour me an idiot for my view that PJ is now a pink dinosaur. Thank all that's holy we have the ever charming Gordon Rennie to put us all straight. From Facebook

QuoteGordon Rennie I'm not sure, but I don't think this looks like a postscript to the PJ Maybe story that many idiots seem to be expecting, to explain why he really isn't dead.

So be told, stop reading glorious fiction and speculating on what magic could be around the corner or face a tongue lashing!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Frank on 16 September, 2016, 03:06:21 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 16 September, 2016, 01:29:58 AM
prog 1999 might be a footnote, as suggested

Good news, everyone!

If Satanist says that Dem'Vet on the cover is me... I'll I'll ... I'll tip his boardgame over!
DDT did a job on me

Frank

Quote from: Spikes on 16 September, 2016, 12:37:12 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 16 September, 2016, 01:29:58 AM
Quote from: Starkers on 16 September, 2016, 10:07:35 AM
Quote from: Bogbrush on 15 September, 2016, 03:15:56 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 15 September, 2016, 08:51:05 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 15 September, 2016, 02:35:08 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 15 September, 2016, 01:23:27 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 14 September, 2016, 04:22:07 PM
Quote from: Tordelback on 14 September, 2016, 03:39:46 PM
Quote from: drsmuts on 14 September, 2016, 02:55:27 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 14 September, 2016, 01:46:10 PM
Quote from: SIP on 13 September, 2016, 12:23:26 PM
Quote from: Trent on 13 September, 2016, 08:32:28 AM
Quote from: A.Cow on 12 September, 2016, 07:14:41 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 12 September, 2016, 08:49:45 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 12 September, 2016, 07:03:02 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 September, 2016, 10:17:13 AM
A fitting end, I thought, if a slightly anti-climatic one

Yes was a bit anti-climatic for me too

Dredd wasn't anti-climatic for me at all

Dredd: As some have stated, a trifle anti-climactic

If Wagner has actually killed off PJ and there are no more stories then it's a pigging mess as far as I'm concerned and the character deserved better.

If this was the end of PJ then it would be an incredibly unsatisfying conclusion of a previously formidable and intelligent adversary.

if Wagner wanted to show that uncharacteristic behaviour and a voice in the head where signs that PJ was making mistakes and losing it, I'm afraid he didn't do a very good job

Lady killer started off great but fizzled out for me. I wonder if there's still an epilogue next prog?

Ah lads, surely it's the most perfectly crafted open-ended open-ending ever?

Aye, an absolutely superb ending to a superb outing

Not quite sure what to make of the ending myself but it's been a really solid story

if that really was the end then it was a bit of a damp squib IMO

Quite liked Dredd

Dredd was a weird one for me. It seems like an anti-climactic death for a long-running character

Dredd was a bit of a damp squib. I'm not so bothered about how the death itself was handled ...

Dredd, the straightforward outcome was a damp squib to an excellent story deserving of better

I enjoyed this tale

I don't think we've seen the last of Maybe, but leaving him with literally nowhere left to run worked well thematically. That's been the nature of every Maybe story since he first escaped the cubes, so it was the only satisfactory way this phase [1] of his story could end.

I agree Maybe's brutal execution wasn't appropriate to his taste for the grandiloquent, but it spoke volumes about the character pulling the trigger - who was created to shoot people for dropping litter.  A simple, legal execution was the Dredd way to end it [2].

Like every other villain, PJ Maybe's story has been one where he made all the running and provided all the entertainment, then Dredd comes in at the last panel and spoils the fun with a bullet. PJ Maybe's story was just 35,000 panels and 15,000 weeks longer than The Vark's.

I'm not calling anyone out or using the LET'S SEE YOU DO BETTER line, but - given the sentiments expressed above - how else would y'all have liked this to turn out?

[1] If the last quarter of a century can be described as 'a phase'

[2] It's not the end

Trout

Yeah, I'm not sure the point if the "quote" function is to create a kaleidoscope effect that causes readers to collapse and see visions of demons.

dweezil2

Quote from: Trout on 16 September, 2016, 07:06:44 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure the point if the "quote" function is to create a kaleidoscope effect that causes readers to collapse and see visions of demons.

I'm sure we had some wallpaper like that back in the 70's!!!!!  :o

Proudhuff

Nice pattern...

but I've told you boys: PJ's dead, Baby, PJ's dead.
DDT did a job on me

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 September, 2016, 07:54:18 PM
I've told you ...

Let's agree John Wagner probably doesn't have any plans to use him again and nobody else will stray onto the big dog's territory while he's still growling.

So, given the sentiments expressed (in strobe effect) above, how else would y'all* have liked this to end?

* Not you, Tom, obviously

Dandontdare

I like the psychadelics, but I'm offended that my own comments weren't worthy of quoting

Tiplodocus

I genuinely don't get the "so no body!" kids people are saying. You saw him executed at point blank range, sploded to smithereens and his remains made a pavement pizza. And no chance of a switcheroo from the panels with him narrating to his blam/aaaaiiieee/kaboom/splat. He's dead.

And I quite liked it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Magnetica

Yes there is absolutely no doubt that Dredd executed the perp in front of him.

The only room for doubt is that it wasn't PJ.