Main Menu

Some questions about the Judge Dredd universe

Started by Sandman1, 16 November, 2016, 05:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

^Just see the last two pages of this thread,where we go thru this.

PsychoGoatee

I did read them, and indeed there are some people who pointed out Americans can enjoy satire etc. But I did say points and address specific things said that weren't entirely redundant.

I've been posting here for many years and still see the same ignorant stereotypical crap, so apparently it's okay to just repeat that stuff ad nauseam none the less.

I don't think anybody else mentioned IDW for example, I thought your point on that was wrong, so I explained why.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 29 November, 2016, 11:58:36 PM
This is silliness. Plus John Wagner had an American upbringing (for the first 12 years or so anyway), if you weren't aware. You think people in USA can't enjoy satire or partake in writing satire of their country? Strangely divisive and generalized views, everybody is an individual. And of course "American upbringing" is deliberately a vague comment, USA is so vast and diverse it's pretty much a series of smaller countries linked together, culturally. It's a big place, as is the world.

All I said was that I possibly enjoy the satire more than the average American, not that they dont enjoy it. I think its easier to laugh at being an outsider, possibly because its easier to see. Americans enjoy satire, this has been established, but satire about them may, IMO, be more readily enjoyed by an outsider. That was the point I was trying to make - I could be wrong.

On an unrelated note, from the history tab of the 2000AD website
"Imaginative, hard-hitting stories and eye-popping art have made 2000 AD essential reading - from the violent satire of futuristic lawman Judge Dredd and the war-torn world of Rogue Trooper to the robot mayhem of the ABC Warriors and the stone-cold mutant killers of Strontium Dog."

Sounds like Tharg the Mighty thinks Dredd is satire too!

PsychoGoatee

I don't really get that, personally I don't think laughing at other countries is easier than laughing at your own. At least not to the kind of person (who is in every country) who would be reading something like Judge Dredd in the first place.

And of course, even while the setting is geographically in a fictional USA, it's not like Thatcher era stuff from those shores weren't included in the scope of the satire. I really think people are looking at this in an overly specific and divisive way which is to my point of view, strange. Since we're all just people appreciating a common thing, I don't think you being north of me or Wagner being east of me has much effect on that.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 30 November, 2016, 06:33:37 AM
Since we're all just people appreciating a common theme, I don't think you being north of me or Wagner being east of me has much effect on that.

Point taken. I'm not intentionally being divisive, just trying to rationalize why Dredd is so much more popular in the UK than the US. Discussion is an effective way of reaching conclusions, these are just ideas. I know a ton of Americans through work (and go there frequently), they enjoy humor as much as anyone - but for whatever reason, Dredd is just not as popular (I wish the movie had done better too!).

PsychoGoatee

Where are your Canada numbers, huh? What if it sells even worse in your neighborhood?  :P

Rogue Judge

Haha it likely does. I have to buy most 2000 AD books online because local retailers sadly don't carry them! But then again, our population doesn't help any comic publisher much - the manager from my local CBS recently told me Canada makes up less than 10% of marvels comic sales.

Canadians are relatively proud of our history with the UK, I was just trying to draw a line as to why I enjoy Dredd as much as the UK does, maybe it was a stretch.  :)

Smith

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 30 November, 2016, 06:27:00 AM
I did read them, and indeed there are some people who pointed out Americans can enjoy satire etc. But I did say points and address specific things said that weren't entirely redundant.

I've been posting here for many years and still see the same ignorant stereotypical crap, so apparently it's okay to just repeat that stuff ad nauseam none the less.

I don't think anybody else mentioned IDW for example, I thought your point on that was wrong, so I explained why.
Yet you mostly repeated things Frank already said.
You obviously missed the part where I say: Nobody said Americans don't get satire,Im just saying its a different flavor then say Simpsons or Family Guy or South Park.I dont see how that was nationalism or how you extrapolated that I think Im better then anyone.

PsychoGoatee

You said "I lean more towards the theory that Judge Dredd is a satire of American politics and culture as seen thru British eyes;and as such kinda lost on Americans.Which also summarizes why the IDW series doesnt cut it for me."

I replied to that, you posted the ignorant opinion to start with, so it makes sense that the reply is also "kinda lost" on you.

Rogue Judge

Allow me to be the stereotypical (peacekeeping) Canadian here - "Everybody is entitled to their opinions, gentlemen"  :D

Smith

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 30 November, 2016, 06:54:02 AM
You said "I lean more towards the theory that Judge Dredd is a satire of American politics and culture as seen thru British eyes;and as such kinda lost on Americans.Which also summarizes why the IDW series doesnt cut it for me."

I replied to that, you posted the ignorant opinion to start with, so it makes sense that the reply is also "kinda lost" on you.

Maybe you should have read the next two pages where we go in way too details over that before rushing in to post how you dont like the new guys around here and how your opinion is the only right one.Just saying.

And that was Judge Dredds style of humor might be lost on Americans not Satire is lost on Americans.Just for the record.

PsychoGoatee

I explained how your ignorant bigoted views are wrong, not surprising you'd reject it.

There's a wide variety of people in all these countries, all kinds of personalities and tastes.

Smith

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 30 November, 2016, 07:00:46 AM
I explained how your ignorant bigoted views are wrong, not surprising you'd reject it.

Explained?Really?Thats what name-calling is these days?
You also missed the part where I really dont see how you extrapolated "My bigoted views" from anywhere.

PsychoGoatee

I live in America, Dredd is my favorite comic, Wagner is my favorite writer, etc. I pick up what he's putting down, and I feel overall the populace I share this large country with have as decent odds at it as those in Canada or UK.

And really, in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty niche these days in the UK as well. Plus it started in the UK, and the anthology format largely isn't popular in the US. So overall I think the whole generalization that Dredd is "kinda lost" on Americans as you say is yes an ignorant thing, and yes I think it's fair to explain that.

And hey, an American metal band Anthrax wrote "I Am The Law" honoring Dredd back in the 80s.

TordelBack

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 30 November, 2016, 07:00:46 AM
I did read them, as mentioned. You've been posting here for like a couple weeks, maybe lay off on the whole telling people how to post thing, and while you're at it learn that it's silly to generalize huge populaces.

Ahh now PG, go easy: how many times has the 'yanks don't get the satire' theory been put forward here (and elsewhere) over the years? I'd agree with your interpretation entirely, but probably partly because I've seen the argument rehearsed a dozen times already. It's a perfectly normal idea to have about Dredd, and I'm sure Smith isn't the only one here that thinks it either.