Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrill-Coma 2010  (Read 17787 times)

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
Re: Thrill-Coma 2010
« Reply #135 on: 14 October, 2019, 09:03:34 am »
I've never understood the Stix Fix. This is a post-apocalyptic world where there are tropical jungles in Antarctica, a mutant free-state in Africa, an Intergalactic Crime Commission, time-travel, routine FTL and actual magic, and this story uses a parodic contemporary North Korea. Why?

Why isn't this some sort of made-up futuro-place where Wagner can cut loose with the silly names and cannibalistic royalty? Its not like it works as satire. A very, very odd misstep.

Tiplodocus

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 15 October, 2019, 07:53:44 am »
Reading back on the prog review threads of all those years ago,  a few people call out accusations of casual racism in Stix Fix and some let it slide with "Get a sense of humour you nanny-state, pc-gone-mad, do-gooders!"
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 15 October, 2019, 09:52:47 am »
2015, eh? Like messages from a lost world.

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.craiggrannell.com
« Reply #138 on: 15 October, 2019, 10:39:44 am »
I don’t recall the responses from the time, but I wonder how much acceptance on a curve there is because Wagner.

Funt Solo

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 15 October, 2019, 03:26:33 pm »
Reading back on the prog review threads of all those years ago,  a few people call out accusations of casual racism in Stix Fix and some let it slide with "Get a sense of humour you nanny-state, pc-gone-mad, do-gooders!"

Putting gently aside obvious defensive reactions about the attack-dog nature of that kind of response: my litmus test for whether something's OK is whether or not I could show it to my high school class and feel safe that I wouldn't find it difficult to defend that decision.

I really loved a lot of the Bill Hicks material I saw: but he was terribly homophobic. Should I just not mention that? Does noticing his homophobia mean I'm someone who needs a sense of humour upgrade? Or that I want to nanny people? Or that I'm insanely driven by political correctness? I don't believe so.

Likewise, I find the creators of The Stix Fix to have done tons of great work over their careers. I could wax lyrical about their stupendous achievements. But drawing Koreans with big buck teeth sneering evilly at us and talking about eating dog? Hey: everyone's free to make their own minds up about how that makes them feel. I know how it makes me feel.

"And you will stop us if you think it's getting even the teeniest bit racist?" (Remember: no laughing!)
fate amenable to change