Main Menu

Prog 2144 War Crimes and Retribution

Started by Proudhuff, 10 August, 2019, 02:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

Quote from: Woolly on 20 August, 2019, 01:31:19 PM
Quote from: metcalfecarr on 20 August, 2019, 12:03:26 PM
This is the first time in many progs where the cover hasn't worked for me.  Yes it's technically great, and Cliff is a master of the cover but for me it's too clean.  Cliff's bright and shiney style doesn't work for Jaegir.  It's a personal thing, I know, but it's totally misrepresentitive of the strip, and a bad choice of artist by editorial

Nope, not having that.

As Bolt said, the cover is meant to be eye-catching and exciting. As you say, the Robinson droid always manages this in spades. Yes, his style is nothing like that of the Coleby droid (who's is?), but he's evoking the character and the setting perfectly in my eyes. Must admit, I also love to see another artists interpretation on the cover from time to time, especially when the strip itself has one resident art-droid.

Oddly, when I first saw it, I thought it was by PJ, mainly due to how Atalia has been drawn. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Apologies if that all sounds like I'm having a pop! Fully respect anyone's right to not like something  :thumbsup:

metcalfecarr

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 20 August, 2019, 12:52:02 PM
Nah, think it is a cracking cover. The flames are very eye catching which is sometimes all a new reader needs to be attracted. Dylan Teague may well have gone for a darker pallette of colour but the point of a cover is to catch the eye.

Don't think I've ever heard of Cliff Robinson being described as a 'bad' choice of artist before. Sounds wrong.

I didn't say it was bad, I said, in my opinion, it's too clean and shiney.  Jaegir is tonally a dark story as well as the art being dark.  Cliff's art is not tonally dark and that is where I feel it doesn't work.  It's too clean and bright and shiney and nice, the polar opposite of the content it is depicting.  Therfore, for me it's a fail. And dark covers do work, and can attract readers, you only have look at the sucessful Bartman covers of the last 70 years.  That is why I said it was a bad editorial choice.
Dave Metcalfe-Carr

metcalfecarr

Quote from: Woolly on 20 August, 2019, 01:32:39 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 20 August, 2019, 01:31:19 PM
Quote from: metcalfecarr on 20 August, 2019, 12:03:26 PM
This is the first time in many progs where the cover hasn't worked for me.  Yes it's technically great, and Cliff is a master of the cover but for me it's too clean.  Cliff's bright and shiney style doesn't work for Jaegir.  It's a personal thing, I know, but it's totally misrepresentitive of the strip, and a bad choice of artist by editorial

Nope, not having that.

As Bolt said, the cover is meant to be eye-catching and exciting. As you say, the Robinson droid always manages this in spades. Yes, his style is nothing like that of the Coleby droid (who's is?), but he's evoking the character and the setting perfectly in my eyes.

Must admit, I also love to see another artists interpretation on the cover from time to time, especially when the strip itself has one resident art-droid.

Oddly, when I first saw it, I thought it was by PJ, mainly due to how Atalia has been drawn. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

I also love to see other artists renditions of characters, such as Steve Dillon's Zenith covers, but ton the flip I didn't like Clint Langley's covers for LeatherJack (mind you Im not a fan of Langley so that could have something to do with it)

Apologies if that all sounds like I'm having a pop! Fully respect anyone's right to not like something  :thumbsup:
Dave Metcalfe-Carr