Main Menu

Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney - Qualifying Round 2

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 May, 2020, 06:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So there we have it. Thanks to all who have voted in any of the face offs so far. I'll start Qualifying Round 2 tomorrow morning and to keep things moving these votes will last only 3 days. Full list of folks who have made it to the draw are:

Andy Diggle
Alec Worley
Steve McManus
Peter Hogan
Guy Adams
Arthur Wyatt
Rory McConville
David Bishop
Kelvin Gosnell
Tony Lee

And a quick reminder as to what the heck all this nonsense is about.

QuoteSo soon to start (hopefully if this gets traction) will be a tourney with 32 writers to see who will face off against Wagner [for our favourite writer] - but first we will need to get our 32 competitors. 27 slots have gone already determined by nicking the hard work of our own AlexF** and 'Heroes of 2000ad Blogspot' and using his data (un-updated as I'm far to lazy) to find the 27 writers whose work has appeared most often. To determine the remaining five places I've decided to run qualifiers of 20 others who missed out either just, as they are 'rookies' - well just started working for Tharg at least (and just can be a number of years now!) or might be known more as an artist etc. We'll start with those and see how they go.

If you have gone this far you'll properly be willing to bear with me while I explain:

RULES

1. MOST IMPORTANTLY - any writer who has got this far is a better writer than we will ever be and so even if you really don't like someones work (which is fine) keep it lovely like I know you can.

2. Each day I will start a new thread with a vote between two writers - the writer to get the most votes after 3 days will progress to the next round.

2. For each vote I will have a thread to collect votes (and comments about the writers involved work) simply write the name of the writer you want to win that 'face-off' at the top of a post - feel free to say what you will after that, but it will help me (see being lazy above) if you write the name of your vote at the top of the comment.

3. I will count up votes in each round after 3 days of starting it and annouce the winner in that thread - once I've done that feel free to add but your vote won't count and you might be charged (if I can work out how to charge you (?!))

4. In the event of a tie I will have the casting vote - cos ya know I'm self absorbed

5. We are voting for favourite, not best - so how much you like their body of work WRITING, not editing etc - that will be important, particularly in qualifying as you'll see - You can do that anyway you want. I'm going with quality of their work first, with quantity as a secondary factor. You can do it based on how lovely their hair is if you wish!

5a Addendum - When I say writing for Tharg my advice (as I say do what you like I'll not know!) is to include any Tharg related prose work so text stories in annuals and special (yeah right!), 2000ad related novels and yes importantly this round things like Thrillpower Overload will go into my consideration. Writing for other comics will not.

6. For the qualifying we'll have the following format:

a. The twenty qualifies (picked by me if I missed anyone blah bad luck them - sorry!) have been drawn a random using a random name picker thingie I found online. 5 qualifiers will take five slots against the current 27 automatic qualifiers
b. The qualifiers will therefore need to get through two rounds - first 10 'face-offs' to get us down to 10 - these ten will get another random draw for another qualifiying round to get us down to 5 to go to the main event.

6. Anything thing I've forgotten I'll make up as we go along.

** AlexF's glorious work http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.com/ [and I will note he saved me by updating this and updating my wrongness so double thank you to AlexF]

broodblik

Thanks again for the effort you put into this.

Round 1 for me 9/10 with Skip Tracer missing out
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Yes, many thanks Colin. Keeping threads going every day takes proper dedication!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 20 May, 2020, 04:39:37 PM
Yes, many thanks Colin. Keeping threads going every day takes proper dedication!

Thanks but plenty of time for me to drift off target! I'm no Sheridan, now that chaps a dedication machine.

Bolt-01

Nah, sterling work that squaxx. Looking forward to round two.

maryanddavid