Main Menu

A Question For Men

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 25 June, 2020, 06:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I have to say - I'm pretty curious as to the alternative addresses you suggested.  :D

Tjm86

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 25 June, 2020, 02:56:56 PM

Good job I didn't tell you about this that happened just over a year ago at 4pm in the morning...

... er ....  ;)

The Doctor Alt 8

I tried to convince him to go across the road to the multi occupancy house conversion.

But I will be phoning the local plod provided Mother isn't in earshot. I don't want her concerned.

At least you guys didn't give the reply

This didn't happen. And says more about your state of mind. Good trick trying to convince a woman that she wasn't the victim of sexual harassment...

The Enigmatic Dr X

Call the police. If not you, then who?
Lock up your spoons!

Tjm86

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 25 June, 2020, 11:17:47 PM

.... Good trick trying to convince a woman that she wasn't the victim of sexual harassment...

a) there are quite a few fathers of daughters in these parts;
b) sexual assault / abuse is gender blind;
c) we're just weird round here.

BTW - the phrase you are looking for is 'gaslighting' ...

Mardroid

Yes definitely report it.

Something similar happened to one of my colleagues last year, and that was in broad daylight when she was sunbathing during her lunch break at Dartford Central park. In this case the guy offered her money to... join him...  (That's me putting it politely. ) What was particularly scary in her situation is that he got pushy when she (politely) refused. Thankfully, a couple of other ladies came along around then and he left her alone. As it was daylight, and she was physically pretty strong, being an active sports-girl, I'm sure she would have been all right anyway, but I'd hate to think what would have happened to someone else in different circumstances...

She was less worried about herself, but was concerned about other younger girls who might be approached by him. (She was in her early 20s but could easily pass for a teenager,and was often asked for ID, when buying cigarettes.) She spoke to the other ladies too and they said they'd heard of a guy approaching other girls in the park.

After asking our advice, she did the right thing and called the police.

While most of us men are decent enough sorts, it is shocking just how much  ladies and young girls have to put up with.

Also a shame as its quite a nice park otherwise. Its a shame that scumbags spoil the experience of these places somewhat.

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: Tjm86 on 26 June, 2020, 07:58:53 AM
Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 25 June, 2020, 11:17:47 PM

.... Good trick trying to convince a woman that she wasn't the victim of sexual harassment...

a) there are quite a few fathers of daughters in these parts;
b) sexual assault / abuse is gender blind;
c) we're just weird round here.

BTW - the phrase you are looking for is 'gaslighting' ...

Oh I know the phrase... but it's rarely used and I didn't know how familiar others were with it. I had to explain in to my mother a couple of months ago...

Woolly

Your Mum sounds like a good one, a bit like mine - doesn't 'get' anything from about 1980 onwards!

Anyway, just glad you're ok.
Please tell the police though, even if it's just to inform them. The next person he 'approaches' might not be as lucky as you were.

*edit* - appreciate that the use of the word 'luck' here isn't the use that I intended...

The Doctor Alt 8

I will have to wait until mother is out of earshot before I contact the police. Mother has the old fashioned tenancy to blame ME when I get picked on like this.... I don't want to give her any more ammunition.

Tjm86

Quote from: Woolly on 26 June, 2020, 11:50:01 PM
...  doesn't 'get' anything from about 1980 onwards!

So now would not be the best time to mention that "gaslighting" comes from the Patrick Hamilton play of 1938?

::)

The Doctor Alt 8

Nope. Mother is a cultural ignoramus. My families attitude to learning was always "Education is great, but don't believe it will get you anywhere. It's WHO you know... not WHAT you know..."

And they were right. Sigh.

The Doctor Alt 8

OK gentlemen... I have followed your advice and have made an incident report. If and lets face it it's a big if there are any developments I'll let you know.

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 June, 2020, 09:26:34 AM
Appalling predatory behaviour, I'm truly sorry you had this experience. Report the fucker, no question in my mind that he's done it before and he'll do it again, and maybe with someone more vulnerable than you proved to be.

This ^^^
DDT did a job on me

von Boom

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 30 June, 2020, 01:42:37 PM

OK gentlemen... I have followed your advice and have made an incident report. If and lets face it it's a big if there are any developments I'll let you know.

Well done you. If every lady this creep accosts makes a report then hopefully the police can do something to get him off the streets.