Main Menu

Prog 2193 - Nothing To See Here?

Started by NapalmKev, 01 August, 2020, 11:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Epic cover by Mark Harrison.

Thrill of the future - What is Department K?

Dredd - End Of Days, Part 10. Judge Patrick sacrifices herself for the greater good and instantly regrets it. Grim end indeed! Dredd hands himself into the Sovs. Yeah, you heard me. I'm enjoying this tale a lot.

Full Tilt Boogie continues.

Diaboliks - Profondo Rosso. The sixth and final part of this strip. Decent ending to this run and also lays a little ground for future tales. Set to return in Prog 2197.

The Oder - Land Of The Free, Part 10. Antoine Berg goes full mental with a Steampunk Mini-Gun thing and goads Bacon into the Frying pan. Or in front of a Train rather. Chin up Bacon... and arms... and legs.

The Out. Kej Daddy-Warbucks steals the show in this episode as he tries to keep Cyd from being too much of a Human. By which I mean causing unnecessary hassle. Oh, and there's a glimpse of the Tankinar! Great episode.

There's a letters page.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Richard

Full Tilt Boogie was brilliant this week. This story just gets better and better!

Bolt-01

Yup - really enjoying FTB. A superb new strip. However, how good is the Out? I'm absolutely loving it. Thanks Tharg -- the prog is just sublimely fun right now.

The Monarch

not a single clunker in the current lineup

JimmyNailz

Another great prog.

Dredd - I started out as a naysayer, but am now 100% onboard with this summer blockbuster.

FTB - Not my favourite episode, but still enjoying it. Tje black orb bit confused me, but enjoyed Ifans arc this week. Still don't know if he'll see the error of his way and become a part of the team, or if he's about to become the big bad.

Diaboliks - didn't feel like a finale, but only 4 weeks till it's back, so no problems with a "mid season break" as its been a great series thus far.

The Order - I feel like I'm following this now and really enjoying it and it's breakneck pace.

The Out - best thing in the prog again. Love it to bits.

Letters - I agree with all the kissing of the green ring.

Top progging!

Colin YNWA

I kiss the green ring too. This is a belting Prog.

The best episode of the new Dredd epic. An absolute blinder as Anderson makes a great scarifice by making some make a great scarifice. I hope this is reflected on down the road. Wonderful use of Dredd himself, as icon rather than rock. Titan-ic suff.

But all all that its still far from the best thing in the Prog. Full Tilt Boogie is better, its an astonishing episode as action breaks out, greed and consequence felt and this is ramping up. Wonderful mix of action and character. Still this isn't the best thing in the Prog.

Nor is Diaboliks which has a strong if not quite brilliant ending, perfectly happy that this one is coming back though.

The Order also runs close to the best thing in the Prog. Its another blinding episode as a knight(ish) gallops in on a white (well not) charger to get all squigy to save the day. This is so much better than I made it sound. In the end another armoured wonder speeds in to further save the day. Can't wait to see how this wraps up. But good as this is Its still not meaning

The Out - with an episode so good it can only be described Adnettesque (or Brinkish, or Lawless-like) everything about this is pitch perfect, dialogue and word craft, emotional twists and turns and an ending that somehow beats The Orders. Just stunning comics.

There will be folks who decry the joyous salute in the letters page this week. I am not one of them. When Tharg is producing comics this good its hard to know what more else he can do.

Well actually another great teaser for the upcoming All ages issue. Two interesting looking stories teased, its not much to go on but I hope this is heading back to the quality of the first FCBD issue. Tharg is giving me hope.

Thanks Droids, thanks Tharg you all played a belter.

Richard

QuoteStill don't know if he'll see the error of his way and become a part of the team, or if he's about to become the big bad.

Neither, [spoiler]he's dead.[/spoiler]

JimmyNailz

QuoteNeither, [spoiler]he's dead[/spoiler]

Ohhh, yes, maybe. [spoiler]A Major Tom-esque demise[/spoiler]. But I personally don't think it's the last we'll see of him....but I could be wrong.

TordelBack

Ignoring all the above posts until Wednesday, but just wanted to give notice of a primer thread for The Order wot I have just started. Only scratching the surface for now, but hope to dig deeper as time allows. Doing a full re-read for this purpose confirmed my feeling that it's one of the modern Prog's true greats.

Leigh S

Diaboliks and The Out keep me thrlled - FTB did a bit of a drop this week due to not really following everyones motives here - Black Dog would want to destry that torc rather than let it fall back to the Knights? The Knights would really need to help Ifan get it? 

I await the Order Primer with baitededness TB!

Dredd, well lovely art and all that, but more silly that isnt endearing me to this any - shame Anderson didn't telekinetically do for the Chaos Bug, or Block Mania for that matter - the answer I am presuming is this is a "magical" disease... OK then.... :/

broodblik

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 August, 2020, 01:39:52 PM
Ignoring all the above posts until Wednesday, but just wanted to give notice of a primer thread for The Order wot I have just started. Only scratching the surface for now, but hope to dig deeper as time allows. Doing a full re-read for this purpose confirmed my feeling that it's one of the modern Prog's true greats.

I love your first "draft". I agree with your statement that The Order is one of the modern prog's true greats.

I think one off the "problems" with a lot of the current strips is that the frequency that we getting them are too far apart. The golden age greats benefited by having the frequency of appearances much closer together.

Both have their benefits. The golden age we only had about 5 strips rotating every now and then. It was great when you loved these thrills but it maybe created the prog too lose its freshness. With the current setup we have a lot more strips getting some running time. This creates a freshness and something new but then you can loose readers by having to wait to long for a return. I still think it is good thing to have a 2-3 pager doing a summary of what happened before when such a scenario occurs.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Woolly

Quote from: Leigh S on 02 August, 2020, 01:44:01 PM
Dredd, well lovely art and all that, but more silly that isnt endearing me to this any - shame Anderson didn't telekinetically do for the Chaos Bug, or Block Mania for that matter - the answer I am presuming is this is a "magical" disease... OK then.... :/

She's channelling the powers of the severed 'Angel' head that appeared from nowhere.
In defence of this Dredd story, I think I get it now - it's just some daft Dredd fun, using an out-there idea and running with it. And in that respect it is fantastic! I'm just rolling with it now, and awaiting the next slice of impeccably drawn madness  :thumbsup:

I think the reason why it's taken me a while to gel with this one is simply because it's written by Rob Williams, who has earned his reputation as a writer of 'serious' Dredds, and because we haven't had a good old one-off summer epic for a while. My expectations were off, thats all.

JimmyNailz

Did anyone else get [spoiler]Watership Down[/spoiler] flashbacks from [spoiler]Patricks demise[/spoiler]?

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.