Main Menu

UNDT FINAL!!!: Johnny Alpha vs Torquemada

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 October, 2020, 06:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Now, I'm a sweetheart who believes that good should always triumph so I really should vote for Mr. S. Dog.

However- other than the obvious fact that he's an absolute bastard and *probably* comics' most evil villain- as well as an allegory for Hitler, Stalin, Trump, as well as his namesake, and is therefore a leeetle too close to the bone for me to vote for him with a clear conscience- I do greatly love the Ruler of Termight. Has he got any redeeming features to allow me to not feel like a complete shit if next week's headline in The Sun is "sick comic book geeks vote deranged mass murderer and fascist their favourite character of the last 43 years"?

No, he has not.

So Alpha it is.

Take that, you pointy headed nightmare.

Credo!

SBT

Magnetica

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 05 October, 2020, 03:31:44 PM
Now, I'm a sweetheart who believes that good should always triumph so I really should vote for Mr. S. Dog.

However- other than the obvious fact that he's an absolute bastard and *probably* comics' most evil villain- as well as an allegory for Hitler, Stalin, Trump, as well as his namesake, and is therefore a leeetle too close to the bone for me to vote for him with a clear conscience- I do greatly love the Ruler of Termight. Has he got any redeeming features to allow me to not feel like a complete shit if next week's headline in The Sun is "sick comic book geeks vote deranged mass murderer and fascist their favourite character of the last 43 years"?

No, he has not.

So Alpha it is.

Take that, you pointy headed nightmare.

Credo!

SBT

Don't forget this is the "not Dredd" tournament - so if there was such a headline it would be wrong, as it's only  the 2nd favourite character. Behind Dredd, who least we forget is a mass murdering fascist. 😉

Greg M.

Does Torquemada have any redeeming features? Well, he seems to love his children. We're even told he genuinely loves Candida, despite virtually destroying her. As such, I don't really buy the idea that Torque's a one-note character - it's just that most of his notes are equally discordant. He has depth - beneath his strident and direct exterior is a very underhanded and manipulative interior. He even has a few oddly admirable qualities, though they're dwarfed by his monstrous ones.

Funt Solo

Torquemada doesn't have only two backstories, like Alpha, but he has a multitude, stretching through time with his many incarnations.

As such, he's over-boiled. Also, he's pointy-hatted and, therefore, a clear and present danger to tumbling squirrels. Therefore, as a friend to squirrels, my vote must go to...

Johnny Alpha

(This, despite his tendency to upset grieving mothers, commit war crimes, get his partner killed and lose multiple wars.)
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

Magnetica

I'm going for Johnny Alpha because it was his poster I had on my wall as a kid and he has the coolest gun in 2000AD.

paddykafka

DrRocka

Johnny Alpha. Hands down my favourite comic book character of all time.
Nobody else even comes close.
Except, maybe, Groo The Wanderer.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Colin YNWA

So here the are the last 24 hours of UNDT - and while I've not done a count it looks fairly close and a final burst from either might see them across the line. I'll be closing voting, counting up and announcing the winner in the morning (Friday 9th) so get any last votes in now.

Colin YNWA

VOTING AND TOURNEY CLOSED - that's all folks BUT I'm sure there's much to say.

It opened with a villainous bang. Nemesis' nemesis struck the early blows and opened up a (un)healthy lead. But then when has Johnny Alpha ever let adversity keep him down. Since when have heroes ever known when to quit. It time honoured storytelling fashion the hero might have taken the lumps to start, but they picked themselves up, rallied the votes and before you know it a Westinghouse Blaster was pointing in Tomas' face and Johnny uttered the immortal words

"Because Nemesis hates you"

and the final shot was fired.

Winner of the 2020 Ultimate Not Dredd Tourney is

JOHNNY ALPHA

[Tinselexplosioneffect] BOOM! [\Tinselexplosioneffect]

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

JayzusB.Christ

I guessed from the start it would be the Dog.  He wasn't my vote, but feck it; he's a worthy winner.  I always preferred his more political earthbound adventures to the bizarre space ones, personally, but he's a brilliant character - you just don't get English sci-fi cowboys with a Nazi dads and Viking mates in other publications.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

credo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 October, 2020, 10:22:15 AM
you just don't get English sci-fi cowboys with a Nazi dads and Viking mates in other publications.

Well there's a tag line for the xmas prog!

sheridan

Quote from: Greg M. on 05 October, 2020, 09:05:05 PM
Does Torquemada have any redeeming features? Well, he seems to love his children. We're even told he genuinely loves Candida, despite virtually destroying her. As such, I don't really buy the idea that Torque's a one-note character - it's just that most of his notes are equally discordant. He has depth - beneath his strident and direct exterior is a very underhanded and manipulative interior. He even has a few oddly admirable qualities, though they're dwarfed by his monstrous ones.

His love for Candida is a bit too abusive partner for me to count that as a positive, but I can think of another...

He might* have a pretty warped outlook on politics, but he does have the conviction of his beliefs.  Rather than have his fascist empire collapse he committed suicide (and despite previous deaths, this one did stick - any posthumous appearances were by a time-travelling former self).

* does