Main Menu

Anybody good wit PC's and Steam / nexus/ vortex Mods willing to help...?

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 19 August, 2020, 04:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

As you fine folks know I am not any good with computers... Or even games. My PC isn't working some of my games are broken because of the mods I've installed. I don't know what I am doing and I can't understand the advice given ..

Now I can't afford a professional so I am asking for someone (In the London area) to come over and fix my problems and perhaps explain to me how to make sure such issues don't happen again.

I will pay you travel expenses (Petrol money/ travel card)

I will give you tea/ coffee and perhaps a cat! (well Dorian might come and see you and I am searching for homes for some others...) And sandwiches/ cake... ( give advanced preference... or it'll be just cheese/ham/beef) Those who know me will attest to my hospitality.

Obviously I don't mean immediately ( because of we all know what) and mother is in the highest risk group so... please try to be covid free .. But if someone can think about being able to accept my offer I' be grateful.

Just send me a DM.....  Thanks.

The Doctor Alt 8

I take it from the silence that no one can or is able to help me. Mother doesn't smell that bad.... :lol:

Dandontdare

Sorry, I'm a dunce too. but if you have a steam account and you know your login and password, you could simply uninstall the whole thing*, reinstall steam and log back in - you may lose saved games, or even have to download them anew but it should give you a fresh start without your self-inflicted mod-hell, then you can slowly reinstall the mods that you trust to work safely. And beware user generated mods!

* on windows 10: go to settings >>> Apps ... then scroll down to Steam and uninstall

The Doctor Alt 8

Thanks I'll have to try that... fingers crossed I don't blow my PC up...

The Doctor Alt 8

Well uninstalling/ reinstalling didn't work  my copy of Neverwinter nights i f**ed due to me having to hard restart my laptop when mid game the damn thing just froze and wouldn't respond at all (Usually try the old taskmanager to close down but that wouldn't respond either....)

Angry Vince

Hi Doc,
A couple of thoughts:
1. Try uninstalling NWN by itself through the windows 'add or remove programs' screen -
    Type in 'program' in the search bar and then 'add or remove programs' should come up as an option, click on that and then find NWN in the menu and uninstall it.
2. Go to the steam install directory and manually delete the Neverwinter Nights folder (if it is still there) - this is the directory (if you installed to the C: drive)
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\
    If you installed it to another drive e.g. D: use this - D:\Steam\steamapps\common  (change the D for whatever drive you did install it to)
3. Reinstall NWN via steam
4. If it is still not working, uninstall Nexus Mod Manager

Give that a go and let me know. If none of that works, let me know the windows version and what you are seeing when you try to run NWN & I'll see if I can work it out.

Sorry I can't pop over, I am literally on the other side of the world!

Cheers!
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

Professor Bear

Did you run LOOT to check for incompatibility between mods that might be knackering your game?  Your nuclear option is to use your mod manager to uninstall all the mods, and then uninstall and reinstall the game, but even once you've done this, you might not be able to use any saves you made during a modded game, as they might require files from the mods to work.

The Doctor Alt 8

Ah yes ... I did download Loot. I received a message as to what I should do. But I didn't understand it and couldn't find a explanation....