Main Menu

What should be collected?

Started by broodblik, 06 March, 2022, 12:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

The Dead has been reprinted twice, in Best of 2000AD and an Extreme Edition. (But it would be good if it was in the Ultimate Collection.)

The Wildcat collections were good, it's a shame there weren't more of them, but I assume they didn't sell enough.

Tjm86

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 06 March, 2022, 02:56:14 PM
Personally I'd quite like a collected Night Zero / Beyond Zero / Below Zero.

... what about the spin off?  Below the Night Zero ...

broodblik

Quote from: Tjm86 on 07 March, 2022, 06:29:26 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 06 March, 2022, 02:56:14 PM
Personally I'd quite like a collected Night Zero / Beyond Zero / Below Zero.

... what about the spin off?  Below the Night Zero ...

I think he wants the full Monty but I will also go for such a collection
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

moly

Diceman as a nice hard back collection

Michael Knight

I would love to see 'Brigand Doom', 'Vector 13' from 2000ad, and 'Doomlord' and 'Dan Dare' from the New Eagle.
Does anyone know why the owners of the rights to the latter two have not made any effort to re-release any of these classics. Time and time again over the last few years on different forums I've seen a real demand for these?

IndigoPrime

The Dan Dare Corp. are a mystery. When I first started trying to get a piece into Retro Gamer about the series and asked for fair-use reprint rights, I was initially rebuffed. It took some time before I then got the go-ahead. (Sadly, the actual article never came to anything at the time, even though I have an Alan Grant interview about the series in my inbox of doom.)

sintec

Huey2

Anything and everything Grant/Wagner and Mills have done outside of 2000A.D. as I would have missed it the first time around.

The Thirteenth Floor collections have been some of my favourite comics from the last few years.

Rogue Judge

Message received, sounds like Rogue Friday might not be worth collecting. However, I had no idea that Rogue and Friday had a shared continuity, I thought they were their own thing.

I've not read Tor Cyan but would now like to.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 07 March, 2022, 11:54:41 PM
I thought they were their own thing.

They were, to begin with. Then someone in editorial got the ill-conceived notion that readers were 'confused' by the two versions* and expended a lot of story trying to shoehorn the two, clearly separate, continuities together... to the benefit of neither version of Rogue, or the readers.

QuoteI've not read Tor Cyan but would now like to.

He starts out as just one of a large cast in the ER-in-Space series Mercy Heights before spinning off into his own solo series. The solo stuff started off very strongly, with Kev Walker and Colin Wilson alternating on art duties. However, the story quickly lost momentum and really kinda fizzled out, which was a shame.**

*I have literally never met someone who was reading the prog during that period who was clamouring for an explanation as to how two different versions of Rogue could exist.

**I was writing stuff with Kev around the time he was working on this. He never told me the specifics, but I do recall there was meant to be an over-arching storyline (which included plans for a sidebar series that Kev would draw in a different style under a pseudonym that would lead into a Dead-Man-style shock reveal for Rogue continuity and tie back into the main series).

Unfortunately, I believe series writer John Tomlinson got a 'proper' job around this time and couldn't commit to the scripting schedule, so Tor Cyan ran for about ten episodes in 2001 with the Walker/Wilson art team, before returning in '02 for six Jock-illustrated episodes that wrapped the whole thing up.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 March, 2022, 07:39:43 AM

I was writing stuff with Kev around the time he was working on this. He never told me the specifics, but I do recall there was meant to be an over-arching storyline (which included plans for a sidebar series that Kev would draw in a different style under a pseudonym that would lead into a Dead-Man-style shock reveal for Rogue continuity and tie back into the main series).

That sounds like something I would have very much enjoyed.

I suppose Tomlinson wrote a condensed / rehashed version of this when he revealed that Tor Cyan was a biologically regened (original) Rogue Trooper during that final series with Jock.
It definitely would have been a better story with more room to breathe.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 March, 2022, 07:39:43 AMThey were, to begin with. Then someone in editorial got the ill-conceived notion that readers were 'confused' by the two versions
Prior to which there was the equally ill-conceived notion that we needed the biochips back. About the only smart thing about this version was that the folks the lead found weren't conveniently named after the kit they got attached to. (The IDW version dealt with this smartly as well.)

QuoteThe solo stuff started off very strongly, with Kev Walker and Colin Wilson alternating on art duties. However, the story quickly lost momentum and really kinda fizzled out, which was a shame.
I'll have to re-read, but I never got the impression it fizzled – more that it just kind of stopped. Either way, it was a very rare thing with a blue bloke in the lead that I fully enjoyed. (Other exceptions: Cinnabar; The War Machine; some of Rennie's flashbacks.)

AlexF

Another call, please for Sinister Dexter: the Complete Whack Files

Second on my wishlist - a collected version of Bad Company: Terrorists (the most recent, full-colour story)

And yeah, a proper bound-up version of all three Zero City/Tanner stories would be ace.

Are they contuning those Complete Future Shocks collections? The two we have are kind of great, no matter that as many as half of the stories within are not so great. Reckon I'd be up for at least another 3 of those, getting up to the 90s. I can see that the 'Best of' collections make more sense, but speaking purely from a fan wish perspective, I'm not into that, I want the pure unfiltered everything!

Blue Cactus

Anyone care to calculate/speculate how many volumes of Sin/Dex we'd be looking at if they collected the whole thing, let's say in modern Dredd Case Files size? I'd be well up for collecting them.

I'm another of the hundreds of folk who would definitely buy Doomlord. And if they fancied reprinting Shadows in a Meg floppy or elsewhere that would be nice please.

broodblik

Quote from: AlexF on 08 March, 2022, 11:30:38 AM
Are they contuning those Complete Future Shocks collections? The two we have are kind of great, no matter that as many as half of the stories within are not so great. Reckon I'd be up for at least another 3 of those, getting up to the 90s. I can see that the 'Best of' collections make more sense, but speaking purely from a fan wish perspective, I'm not into that, I want the pure unfiltered everything!

Second, it has been awhile since the last volume was released

I also would like Armoured Gideon Book 2 as well
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.