Main Menu

Bring back Universal Soldier

Started by WoD, 28 April, 2003, 09:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

I'm not sure if it's a case of rose coloured specs, but I always thought that this series had longer legs than it was given credit for.

I'm not sure if there were two or more series with this name, but the one I mean is where the 'hero's' perceptions altered according to his circumstances and this gave him enhanced fighting abilities.  E.g. surrounded by people with sticks, his perception altered so that he 'became' a samuri warrior, with all the abilities that this would entail.

I also think that this could make a nice game for Rebellion.  Different mode changes dependant on the circumstances.

Does anyone else think this is worth another run?  And does anyone remember if it changed format (something about a guy with a gem in his chest rings a bell).

WoD

Oddboy

I really love the first story of Universal Soldier, but the sequal was fairly lame.
Then the 3rd one with Kelly's magic gem-chest was somewhere between lame & rubbish.

Which is a real shame, after the brilliant start.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Trout

Is this some sort of wind-up?

- Trout

Jared Katooie

Oh I get it...

It's an all sarcasm thread! Lets try... Space girls never once made me want to vomit and the humour changed the way I think about comedy!

Everyone join in!

J.

WoD

Oddboy

My comments were true & heartfelt. Ignore these awkward sods.

Trout

"I feel hurt (and abused)"

Sorry, but it was a genuine question.

Apart from occasional moments of reasonable Will Simpson art, Universal Soldier was, IMO, absolute garbage.

I suspect your specs are indeed slightly pink, WoD.

- Trout

WoD

I'm not offended, I just think that I should have re-read them before posting.  It's been a (very) long time since I last looked at them.

WoD.

Oddboy

The premise of the story is really good - and the first story itself sets up for a brilliant series - which was then never delivered.

As a kid, Universal Soldier was something I'd play (when not riding round the neighbourhood on my Chopper Lawmaster (o the irony!!) or searching & destroying criminals around the galazy.)

karne

"the 3rd one with Kelly's magic gem-chest"

Yeah, but how many people noticed Sylvester De Tourville A.K.A. the Spellbinder in that story? Er, does anyone else know what I'm on about or should I stop looking so smug now?

longmanshort

Right on bro! Kelly was one of those classic heroes (like the Iron Claw et al) that never really saw their full potential. Does anyone remember that special which updated the old strips? Had the Claw in it drawn by Sean Philips. classic.
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

karne

Yup, that was the 2000ad Action Special, which strangely enough didn't feature any stories from ACTION, but did feature a story by fan "fave" Mark Millar in which he totally ruined my all time favourite comics character of all time favourite comic characters...er, of all time, THE SPIDER.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/spider1.jpg>

Take that Shatner!.

Link: http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/spider.htm" target="_blank">What? Reprints for the Meg? Alright then.

Buddy

Universal Soldier...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smiley

Universal Soldier's a tricky one. I reckon it could be only be reinvented if it was done like something from Valiant. There's something about a guy who can become a different historical warrior every week that sounds inherently old fashioned and contrived. Yet the potential for variety is a godsend, at least artistically. It would have made a great flagship strip for Tornado, which was loosely themed on warriors throughout history.

The boardroom intrigue stuff jarred badly with the premise, too. Felt too 'eighties' in comparison. Yet the guy being a total coward at the mercy of corporate bastards was a neat and logical twist to the whole thing. If there was potential, it sure got wasted big time. I think most folks have mercifully blanked the one where he organises the defence of a settlement from punky barbarians.

Nah, think we've lost the patient, gentlemen :(

Oddboy

Let's bring back Bix Barton, Master of the Rum and Uncanny instead.