Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Hap Hazzard vs. Simping Detective Round 2 Heat 77

Started by Colin YNWA, 23 March, 2022, 06:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week 10 is quietly fascinating. No really BIG hitters, but some fascinating ties. What looks like some tough choices, some great stories, a local derby and a prime example of how a lesser thrill could just slip quietly through to later rounds by the luck of the draw. Good, interesting mixing coming this week.

Hap Hazzard is certainly a curious beast, I guess the question is it an intriguing interlude that shows the prog testing and stretching the types of story it could contain. Or is it an irritating side note? Simping Detective on the other hand is a wonderfully written dark noir, supported by brooding art that in Trifecta got a fantastic send-off:

Hap Hazzard - more info

Vs

Simping Detective - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday March 26th  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

Huey2

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Hap Hazzard was a genuine delight, great charcater designs from S. Dillon, to boot.
Simping Detective is too clever by half, but also rather wonderful. Quite probably it was the best thing in the Megazine at the time it ran. It dereves to win this tie, but I can imagine it'll be close, there;s a hankering for the slice of life type stuff...

Still, Simping Detective.

rogue69

abelardsnazz

The Simping Detective certainly had its moments but Steve Dillon had some fun creating Hap and co - there was me hoping it would appear in the Ultimate Collection with Hewligan and Swifty. Maybe it still might turn up.

Hap Hazzard.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 March, 2022, 06:26:14 AM
Hap Hazzard.... Or is it an irritating side note?

Yes

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 March, 2022, 06:26:14 AM
Simping Detective on the other hand is a wonderfully written dark noir, supported by brooding art

Yes

Simping Detective
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

Difficult choice, but I'll have to go for Tales from Fred's Planet*.

*(Hap Hazzard)

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I'll have to go Simping Detective, if only because I feel I should reread it sometime.

SBT

Magnetica

Simping Detective.

It's just about my favourite ever Megazine strip.

Funt Solo

Hap Hazzard was a bit ... how would you say ... hit and miss? Disorderly? Irregular?

My vote goes to Mega-City Noir*

*The Simping Detective
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

Colin YNWA

Last day on this one and while Hap Hazzard has put up a fight the rest looks clear. Its quiet though so it won't take much of a turn around on this final day to turn that around.

Link Prime