Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Thistlebone vs. Tempest Round 2 Heat 83

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 March, 2022, 06:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Big week this one, not just as we have some interesting ties and a couple of big name thrills, well at least in my eyes. Mainly though as we hit a very significant milestone, one I'll talk (or have talked about... copy and paste a lot here!) more about Tuesday...

Okay so it's becoming a little cliche for me to say a thrill in the tourney is one that carries the torch for modern thrills. I guess it's testament I love the modern thrills and believe they are taking the Prog to better places than it's possibly ever been. When you look at Broodbilks Sideshow vote for best post Prog 2000 thrill you can see why! Thistlebone is another such thrill and I'm intrigued to see how far it can go as it battles excellent thrills from the past shielded in nostalgia armour. Having said that, I'm not sure how much nostalgia armour Tempest has!

Thistlebone - more info

Vs

Tempest - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday April 1st  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Tempest was good but for its atmosphere and tremendous art Thistlebone gets this one for me.

sheridan

sintec

Has to be Thistlebone. Do we know if there's a book 3 coming?

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

Link Prime

Thistlebone is not without flaw, but damn if it ain't one of the best modern day Thrills in the Prog.
Effective Horror + Simon Davis will push this through a few more rounds I think.

Quote from: broodblik on 29 March, 2022, 09:29:38 AM
Quote from: sintec on 29 March, 2022, 08:28:50 AM
Has to be Thistlebone. Do we know if there's a book 3 coming?

Yes book 3 is coming

Great.
Eagerly awaiting some imaginative covers from SB Davis.

Blue Cactus

I can't remember exactly why but I found Tempest really irritating. Was it that the main character was really smug? I dunno, I just really didn't like it for some reason!

Thistlebone is a very original series and I'll be happy to see more of it. Davis is always fantastic and suits this strip to a tee, and it's by far my favourite thing from the Eglington droid so far.

IndigoPrime

Barrington Boots

Thistlebone felt like a modern classic almost from the start. Gets my vote here.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

AlexF

Yeah, Temnpest was a bit pleased with itself for being like 'Hey kids, do you like ninjas? How about badgers? How about ninja badgers!', and although it was doing this pretty knowingly, the sort-of serious crime story stuff underneath it all never meshed for me.

Thistlebone is just pure class, and genuinely creepy.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

thistlebone

superb characterisation, brilliantly plotting that understands the gothic need for constantly deferred terror, real chills, and an artist who became definitive and irreplaceable from the very first page.

Huey2

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Thistlebone has always been better in principle than in actuality for me- I'm not a fan of the modern trend for folk horror or Simon Davis' art I'm afraid. Tempest, I remember little about- except that I quite liked it. So Tempest.

SBT