Main Menu

Comic Crossovers that worked, but you think they wouldn't?

Started by RookieNerd, 06 March, 2023, 04:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RookieNerd

JohnW

From Prog 313:
'The Avenging Kong Meets Laurel and Hardy'

But that's probably not what you were thinking of.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Colin YNWA

There are any number of Boom! era Planet of the Apes crossovers that really worked, but sounded like they were there just to mush similar sounding characters (or not) together:

Kong on The Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes / Green Lantern
Tarzan on the Planet of the Apes

All being favs.

Speaking of Superman the Superman Madman crossover really worked - but given that Mike Allred not sure that was too much of a suprise.

Hawkmumbler

I have a soft spot for the incredibly silly Invincible #60 which attempted to cram an entire summer long event saga into a single 25 page issue, to the hilarious effect significant characters where just kind of murdered and by the time #61 rolled out a whole year had moved on in universe so nobody reacted to anything that happened.

Oh, and it's filled with a bunch of Image cape guest appearances. Officer Dragan and Co., Jack Staff, Dynamo 5, Madman...and others I don't really care about. It was pretty cool.

Funt Solo

Judge Dredd vs. Z.O.M.B.O., but The Immigrant (2020 Sci-Fi Special) was really good.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Fate Amenable to Change on 06 March, 2023, 06:48:45 PMJudge Dredd vs. Z.O.M.B.O., but The Immigrant (2020 Sci-Fi Special) was really good.

The whole crossover special was amazing to be honest. Kingdom + Shako and Red Seas Ant Wars being other highlights as I recall.

Link Prime

I have a soft spot for the left-field Predator Vs Magnus Robot Fighter, and was always impressed by the respect for the lore attributed to both properties.

Having a stellar creative team never hurts of course - Plot by Shooter, script by Ostrander, artwork by Weeks and covers by BWS.

A diamond in the rough.

Hawkmumbler

Funny how of all properties under the sun PREDATOR is the one which almost always gets winner crossovers.

The most peculiar of things.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 07 March, 2023, 02:11:37 PMFunny how of all properties under the sun PREDATOR is the one which almost always gets winner crossovers.

The most peculiar of things.

T'is.

And it's a shame that one of the weakest was Vs Dredd.

Hawkmumbler

Aaaahh to be fair, s'fine! It's alright, bit of fun isn't it, but I think it's fair to say at this point all of the Dredd third party crossovers are a bit lacking in their own ways, I suspect Joe just isn't a natural fit for a lot of other worlds out there.

nxylas

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 07 March, 2023, 04:15:55 PMAaaahh to be fair, s'fine! It's alright, bit of fun isn't it, but I think it's fair to say at this point all of the Dredd third party crossovers are a bit lacking in their own ways, I suspect Joe just isn't a natural fit for a lot of other worlds out there.
I'm not really a fan of crossovers in general. Too much figuring out how to get the characters to meet, and how much of each property to use, and not enough actual story for my liking. The Batman/Dredd crossovers kind of worked, but that's mostly because Wagner and Grant had already brought a 2000AD sensibility to Batman.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Colin YNWA

In my head there's a great Dredd vs Grendel story to be told. Just not Hunter Rose (please fantasy comics God's not Hunter Rose) rather a Nega City One manifestation of the Grendel spirit / entity. With Dredd kinda in the Argent role *for those that know Grendel.

Art

Gonna stand by Dredd vs Aliens as a very good Aliens story and a pretty decent Dredd one. But that probably doesn't count as "unexpected" given the people involved.

RookieNerd

This has been a fun read and also gave me some new stuff to look for so a double win.