Main Menu

Random Dredd Questions

Started by GizmoDuck, 09 March, 2023, 10:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I chose Carry the Nine on purpose, because Boo Cook has an out-there style. I basically knew his cits would look weird compared to other artists. Someone up-thread already pointed out that a lot of the fashion choices are artist-driven, although there tends to be a focus on pads - shoulder, knee and elbow - and unusual headgear.

I think one of the reasons that the Council of Five is reticent about taking on Maitland's ideas, is that they aren't proven. This was covered recently in The Pitch (prog 2302).

It echoes real-world politics, as well - in that logic isn't necessarily the key driver of policy. (You don't have to look far for examples - from the current Boats law the Tories are pushing, to Putin's wasteful ambitions, to Trumpism. None of it is following a "what's best for everyone" logic. Even after the Japanese had two atomic bombs dropped on their collective heads, there was a struggle to push through a surrender in the face of a militant hardline who felt that they'd last a little bit longer fighting on.)
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

GizmoDuck

Out of interest, what are Conapt? Are these essentially blocks of flats, not Mega-Blocks? I'm on CCF 11 and I still can't figure it out.

Okay, time travel; I know it's mentioned that What's Done is Done, but in City of the Damned we learn that the Justice Dept has time travel. Surely things like Chaos Day warrants a pop back in time to avert things, no? 

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: GizmoDuck on 21 March, 2023, 10:30:16 AMOkay, time travel; I know it's mentioned that What's Done is Done, but in City of the Damned we learn that the Justice Dept has time travel. Surely things like Chaos Day warrants a pop back in time to avert things, no? 

No. What has already happened cannot be changed, all that can be achieved is the creation of a new, parallel timeline. (Which, I suppose, could then be conquered or evacuated to...)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JohnW

Quote from: GizmoDuck on 21 March, 2023, 10:30:16 AMOut of interest, what are Conapt? Are these essentially blocks of flats, not Mega-Blocks?

Conapts – Connected Apartments.
I think.
I don't remember where I came across that, but I don't think I'm making it up.

As far as Mega-City housing goes, there's nothing special about conapts. It's just a name.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Dash Decent

I thought it was short for condominium apartments.

And yes, it's just any old flat/apartment in a block.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

GordonR

It's condo apartments, and they're a step above the average City Block housing.

And what the hell is 'connected apartment' even supposed to mean?  (And wouldn't that be conn-apt', anyway )

JohnW

Quote from: GordonR on 21 March, 2023, 10:09:03 PMAnd what the hell is 'connected apartment' even supposed to mean?
What the hell do I know, Gordon?
Memory is clearly playing me false in my dotage.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

GizmoDuck

Question on Megazines.

I haven't really read the Megazines as I'm going through the CCFs, but I've stumbled onto Mechanismo and it was originally published in 2.12-2.17 What does "2.12" mean?

Additionally; This might sound odd, but; what are the Megazines? I mean, I know they're a monthly anthology comic, but what makes it a Judge Dredd comic? There's one Dredd story in them and the rest are other stories and stories from past 2000AD Progs. They seem like monthly 2000ADs to me, but I'm aware that I'm new to it all, so I don't know.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: GizmoDuck on 22 March, 2023, 09:45:22 AMQuestion on Megazines.

I haven't really read the Megazines as I'm going through the CCFs, but I've stumbled onto Mechanismo and it was originally published in 2.12-2.17 What does "2.12" mean?

Additionally; This might sound odd, but; what are the Megazines? I mean, I know they're a monthly anthology comic, but what makes it a Judge Dredd comic? There's one Dredd story in them and the rest are other stories and stories from past 2000AD Progs. They seem like monthly 2000ADs to me, but I'm aware that I'm new to it all, so I don't know.

The Megazine's (new) strips are all set in Dredd's world and often tie into characters from the main Dredd strip. So there's a focus in the Megazine on Dredd's world. There is also reprint to help with costs.

The "2." numbering ties into the frequency of the Meg. It started as monthly, then went fortnightly. From memory, it to "Volume 2" numbering (so issue 2.1 was the first fortnightly edition). It then went back to monthly and just ret-conned the Volume 2 numbering with the original sequence.
Lock up your spoons!

Funt Solo

Quote from: GizmoDuck on 22 March, 2023, 09:45:22 AMI haven't really read the Megazines as I'm going through the CCFs, but I've stumbled onto Mechanismo and it was originally published in 2.12-2.17 What does "2.12" mean?

Dr. X is correct (naturally). The volumes break down as:

Volume #1  1-20 (codified as 1.1, 1.2 etc.) - 52pp, monthly
Volume #2  1-83 (codified as 2.1, 2.2 etc.) - 44pp, 52pp (from 2.50), fortnightly
Volume #3  1-79 (codified as 3.1, 3.2 etc.) - 52pp, monthly (from 3.14), 44pp (from 3.26), 52pp (from 3.39), 48pp (from 3.64)
Volume #4  1-18 (codified as 4.1, 4.2 etc.) - 100pp
Volume #5  201 - now (volumes dropped) - 100pp, 84pp (from 237), 68pp (244), 64pp (from 245)

Floppies added at 275.
Occasional super-sized megs of 84pp [4], 100pp [2]
Floppies removed at 451 @ 154pp
138pp from 452 onwards.

Lawman of the Present

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 March, 2023, 10:36:34 AMNo. What has already happened cannot be changed, all that can be achieved is the creation of a new, parallel timeline. (Which, I suppose, could then be conquered or evacuated to...)

There are exceptions to this approach however. Spoilers for the following if you haven't read beyond Mechanismo in the Case Files:

The Exterminator (Progs 919-927)
Dredd travels back to old New York to terminate citizens infected with an alien virus, altering the continuum, then somehow returning to his MC-1 with changes in effect.

Dead Reckoning (Progs 1000-1006)
Dredd follows Death D-Jumping back to the fall of Deadworld, encountering the past Dark Judges. It is implied this encounter is what encouraged Death to seek out MC-1 in his first appearance.

Consider also Johnny Alpha's involvement in Judgement Day.

The lore flip-flops somewhat on whether it's embracing a closed loop timeline or not.

nxylas

Quote from: Lawman of the Present on 22 March, 2023, 06:48:27 PMThe Exterminator (Progs 919-927)
Dredd travels back to old New York to terminate citizens infected with an alien virus, altering the continuum, then somehow returning to his MC-1 with changes in effect.
It's probably worth noting that this was originally written as a Terminator comic for, I think, Dark Horse, and only repurposed as a Dredd story when they rejected it.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

Quote from: Lawman of the Present on 22 March, 2023, 06:48:27 PMThe lore flip-flops somewhat on whether it's embracing a closed loop timeline or not.

...based on whether it serves the story. Time travel techno-gubbins is only as consistent as any other special power (like lie detectors, respirators or heat-seeking bullets). It has to serve the story. If it gets in the way then because of [insert Star Trek technobabble here] it won't work, or will.

sheridan

Re: Conapts.

The strip itself is characteristically vague on defining some things, but various iterations of roleplaying games have added a little description. 
Quote from: Games Workshop JD RPGlower-level higher-quality apartment blocks
Quote from: "Rookie's Guide to Block Warsolder though more luxurious than standard blocks in their day

Bigj0bs

Anyone else think the latest prog has something to do with Ernesto overdrive? Curare corp somehow got access to brainwashing technology like what bachmann used and they specifically mentioned looking for people who could smell "blood in the water". Witch reminds me of overdrives motto.