Main Menu

Random Dredd Questions

Started by GizmoDuck, 09 March, 2023, 10:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I think the Statue may have appeared since America 2 though, no? 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

GizmoDuck

Seems to have always been the rules, even in the early pre-Dredd days of the Judges. There was that big controversy with Fargo and his lover in Origins.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: GizmoDuck on 29 March, 2023, 12:06:38 PMSeems to have always been the rules, even in the early pre-Dredd days of the Judges. There was that big controversy with Fargo and his lover in Origins.

True - that story with Rico with the shorts and the trophy girlfriend always jarred a bit. Also, the detailed look at kiddy Joe and Rico's unhelmeted faces didn't sit well with me, though I think it may not havs been the first time we's seen a child Dredd's face.

We've had a clear picture of adult Fargo's fizzog too, though I'm not sure if the clone father of Dredd thing had been decided at that point.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

Quote from: Lawman of the Present on 28 March, 2023, 04:50:25 PMOn the subject of Titan sentences, I listened to the Big Finish drama Trapped on Titan recently, set in 2124. Evidently rebuilt following destruction in Purgatory, the penal colony is now a privately-run institution where prisoners are regular perps, and not ex-Judges. No mention is made therefore of where crooked Judges are currently being sent!

In his Dogbreath interview (also here: the author's old website), Jonathan Clements mentions there are still convicted Judges on Titan:

"There was one thing that I wish I'd made clearer in Trapped on Titan, which was that anyone who'd been there for a while was obviously a former Judge. True to real-world tradition (courtesy of a great little book I own called You Are Going to Prison), everyone on Titan is reluctant to discuss their former lives, but that back-fired because some listeners wanted to hear some acknowledgement that Dredd was walking among former Judges. I could have fixed that with a line or two, but it simply didn't occur to me that it would be an issue."

That doesn't explain away the other issues you raise, nor why none of the other prisoners sounds particularly ex Judge-like.  However, I can instead run around the room chanting like the menacing alien invaders of that story:

Bring us the prince!  Bring us the prince!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Lawman of the Present

Quote from: Dash Decent on 30 March, 2023, 04:11:36 AMIn his Dogbreath interview (also here: the author's old website), Jonathan Clements mentions there are still convicted Judges on Titan

Interesting, thanks for the tidbit!

Cheers all for the info on the Liberty Statue. Good to know I've not missed anything.

Richard

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 March, 2023, 04:48:47 AMI think the Statue may have appeared since America 2 though, no? 
I can't think of when, but if it has, then maybe they rebuilt it. They rebuilt the Statue of Judgement, which was much bigger.

JayzusB.Christ

Makes sense.  I suppose we'll never know for sure - unless some writer wants to do a flashback story?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

GizmoDuck

In Dredd 2012 - when Dredd and Anderson are in the school classroom Dredd stands in front of a "US" flag.

1) Would there be a US flag, as the US doesn't exist, right? The three MegaCities are independent city states. I don't think I've seen a US flag in the Progs, though I may be *highly* inaccurate about that.

2) There's 6 stars on the flag. Who're the six stars? MC-1, MC-2, TC,... Vegas? and... Isn't there something called Uranium City? Though I have no idea what that is.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: GizmoDuck on 05 April, 2023, 09:25:11 AM2) There's 6 stars on the flag. Who're the six stars? MC-1, MC-2, TC,... Vegas? and... Isn't there something called Uranium City? Though I have no idea what that is.

If we're assuming some of the comic colonies are at least established in the '12 universe, we can't rule out off world settlements.

IndigoPrime

I wouldn't think about it too hard. As for comic links, didn't MC-1 once have north, east, west, south and central? :D

Richard

I don't think the 2012 film ever said the USA no longer exists, so I wouldn't worry about that one.

In the prog the judges have the stars and stripes (a version of it anyway) on their badges and belt buckles. It's probably a bit like how the Australian flag has the British flag in the corner even though it's no longer British; a tip of the hat to history and heritage.

JayzusB.Christ

I suppose the vast majority of people who watched that film would have no idea at all of the comic backstory we're all so familiar with. I'd imagine it was just an interesting little background detail the production team came up with.

Don't forget Anderson is a card-carrying mutie in the movie - this is most definitely a different Dredd universe from the one we know.

I hope they make a sequel like the Friday Rogue Trooper where the two versions of Dredd meet up and hang out (no I don't).

Dash Decent

Quote from: GizmoDuck on 05 April, 2023, 09:25:11 AMWould there be a US flag, as the US doesn't exist, right? The three MegaCities are independent city states. I don't think I've seen a US flag in the Progs, though I may be *highly* inaccurate about that.

I can't recall the US flag appearing 'officially', as you mean, but it has appeared.  E.g. in "America", where it is a symbol of the lost dream, what was, what could be, etc for dissenters to rally around.  In other words, not representing the state but hopes and dreams of an alternative.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Hawkmumbler

If in doubt, just assume the teacher(s) where Bad Bob Booth Bros.