Main Menu

Rinus Limpopop Quintz at the British Museum

Started by norton canes, 31 July, 2023, 07:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I was at the British Museum a few years ago and was confronted by this ensemble in the African section:

Jar of pickled stinkers? No? Mucka-Makka grebb swatter?

Would have posted it here sooner but the the museum appears to have only just got round to including the image on their website.

JohnW

Quote'The Salesman' features some fine artwork from Ron Smith, who drew his inspiration for the villain from a reference of an African mask supplied with the script.
—Steve MacManus, Introduction to original Titan edition of Judge Child, Book 3, 1983

I wish I'd known it was in the British Museum, though. I know nothing of African art, but I'd have made a special pilgrimage just to see that mask.
Next time I'm in London, definitely.
The spider legs on the head are creepy-crazy. Delighted to know that they're part of the original mask and not an invention of Smith's. Any magic man who's wearing that sort of thing on his head gets respect.
Who needs a Terlian two-headed prayer bonnet?
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

ming

This did indeed pop up many moons ago... (The whole thread is worth a look; some fascinating things in there.)

Quote from: ming on 09 September, 2014, 04:39:32 PMVia the eagle eyes of Albert Hammond-Bootleg: spotted at the British Museum... Rinus Limpopop Quintz.

Great find!

:)

sheridan

Always worth reminding us though - been ages since I've been to the BM, even though it's so close to Gosh! / Forbidden Planet.

norton canes

Quote from: ming on 08 August, 2023, 11:21:26 AMThis did indeed pop up many moons ago... (The whole thread is worth a look; some fascinating things in there.)

Ah, I was looking for that thread. Ta for the link.

sheridan

Think I'll leave it a few days to go to the British Museum though...

JohnW

Quote from: sheridan on 08 August, 2023, 12:03:18 PMBeen ages since I've been to the BM, even though it's so close to Gosh! / Forbidden Planet.

When I was a poor barefoot boy*, a mere 19 years of age and new to the big city, I discovered the British Museum and Gosh Comics on the same day.
That was a good day.

*Well, if you don't count the ten-hole Doc Martens.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!