Main Menu

Prog 2350 - 2000ad Battle Action*

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 September, 2023, 12:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I mean, I felt frustrated by the way it was done, but only because I wanted more from some stories that were left hanging. But they were still satisfying blasts in and of themselves. To refer to this as the "usual mismanagement" is quite the take. Not least from a company that rescued 2000 AD from oblivion *23* years ago, and against the odds (given the horror show that is the current market) is thriving.

GordonR

It's almost like he very transparently has an axe to grind with 2000AD editorial not recognising his awesome scriptdroid skills.

scrotnig

Don't get his comment at all. I'm only a mere reader and subscriber but I see no signs of "mismanagement" by Rebellion. Quite the opposite.

Link Prime

Quote from: Richard on 27 September, 2023, 06:42:12 PMI'd actually be quite happy with Scream!

Would be quite happy with that too.

Left field choice: Wildcat.

The Monarch

the wonderful niemand droid has confirmed on Twixter that next years one will be something completely different again nothing to do with false mergers

I was gonna say something snarky about that mismanagement noise. but then i remembered what i was like back in 2005 way back in the kid samurai days and was constantly shitting on david bishop all the time. god i feel so guilty about that now dude had a thankless job and managed to get a whole bunch of amazing talent to work for the meg who still work today hes an unsung hero who deserved better than being this divs punching bag for years.

I think i already apologised to him before but i really gotta do it again sorry for being such a dumbass back when i was a stupid teenager

Richard

Yes, Bishop kept the comic going long enough for Rebellion to buy it (as well as commissioning Nikolai Dante). It's worst period was the early 90s, which was before him.

Simon Fraser

Quote from: Richard on 30 September, 2023, 12:13:42 AMYes, Bishop kept the comic going long enough for Rebellion to buy it (as well as commissioning Nikolai Dante). It's worst period was the early 90s, which was before him.

Bishop was a strong supporter of Dante from the start,  but it was commissioned by John Tomlinson, who was Tharg at the time.

nxylas

Yeah, I joined in with bashing the Bishop at the time, but with hindsight, I see his tenure as the beginning of the renaissance that followed the dark ages. As someone with an interest in medieval history, I don't like using that metaphor, but at least everyone understands what it means.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Richard

"Bashing the Bishop" sounds a bit like choking the chicken...

scrotnig

I liked Bish-op's era. Some very interesting stuff came out of it.

Funt Solo

An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

JayzusB.Christ

I probably did a bit of bishop-bashing too - both types, but one type was uncalled for and I gave that one up lest it stunt my (moral and intellectual) growth.  Bish-Op was a good editor and did sterling work in helping to rescue the prog from its bad era.  He didn't seem to like playing the character of Tharg much but that is, of course, forgiveable as he commissioned some great stuff. 

Anyway, I'm hoping for a 2000ad / Oink crossover next year.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

scrotnig

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 October, 2023, 04:45:08 PMI probably did a bit of bishop-bashing too - both types, but one type was uncalled for and I gave that one up lest it stunt my (moral and intellectual) growth.  Bish-Op was a good editor and did sterling work in helping to rescue the prog from its bad era.  He didn't seem to like playing the character of Tharg much but that is, of course, forgiveable as he commissioned some great stuff. 

Anyway, I'm hoping for a 2000ad / Oink crossover next year.
Tharg is just a character?

*Deflated*

scrotnig

I guess the only thing I could really say I disliked in the Bish-op era was the attempt to replace Tharg with the Vector 13 Men in Black. Though I understand the thinking behind trying it.

I loved the Vector 13 stories themselves though. Just didn't like the idea of 2000AD without Tharg.

nxylas

Quote from: scrotnig on 01 October, 2023, 08:17:36 PMI guess the only thing I could really say I disliked in the Bish-op era was the attempt to replace Tharg with the Vector 13 Men in Black. Though I understand the thinking behind trying it.
I don't. I thought the idea of getting rid of Tharg was to make 2000AD more like the Megazine, or American comics back in the days when they had letters pages, where the editors answered letters as themselves. Why remove a fictional character and replace him with other fictional characters?
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!