Main Menu

2023 Advent Comments

Started by Trooper McFad, 01 December, 2023, 06:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

Sharky's Thrill3r or Fill3r or what3v3r rolls along nicely. In its pacing and concision it's probably my favourite of all sharkish contributions to this forum that I've read.
As for the crappy picture, I'm afraid I don't really see anything crappy about it at all. In fact, when I get right down to it, I actually find it quite good. Sorry.
The crappy song though? I'm supposed to listen to it? Seriously? Go find some other poor fool to click on that link.

The rebar candy cane in Andy's Mongrol's hand warms my heart. Back in my construction days I once spent a dismal couple of weeks detailing the reinforcement in reinforced concrete. (It was probably a hazing ritual or the punishment meted out to all young draughtsmen when they misbehaved.) Ever since, any depiction of rebar makes me happy that it has nothing to do with me anymore.

Forgot to add to the general admiration for Trooper McFad's globe yesterday. Is there no end to the man's dedication in handcrafting unholy marriages of Christmas and 2000AD? They're like random exhibits from the most niche museum you can imagine.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Trooper McFad

Quote from: JohnW on 14 December, 2023, 02:04:24 PMThey're like random exhibits from the most niche museum you can imagine.
The way my corner of my spare room is looking I'll be offering guided tours soon to pay for an extension 😂😂😂
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

staticgirl

I can't get over how inspired everyone is on the advent thread. It's a brilliant explosion of mad creativity and humour.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 14 December, 2023, 10:13:41 AMDash - steps up again but I have to say I'm surprised that The Mighty one is running after another being?

The joke is meant to be a play on those "change the title logo" type covers that would crop up occasionally.  Perhaps it's not clear because the drawing is so bad (even for me).

In this case someone is changing the "AD" to "CE".

You probably know, but there's a move in various circles to replace BC and AD on dates with BCE (Before Common Era) and CE (Common Era).  The dating is exactly the same, but it's seen as being more acceptable and neutral than BC/AD, which are Christian.  It's not just the "2000" in "2000 AD" that can be seen as out of date.

On progs gone by, it's been Dredd staring down creeps eyeing off the new logo and warning them to leave it alone.  For this idea I thought it would be Jesus stopping them instead, seeing as the AD 'belongs' to Him.

The guy altering the logo is just a random creep.  I don't know why I coloured his hair.  I think perhaps I was going to make him look like one of the perps previously seen on a real logo change prog cover.  He's not meant to look like Tharg.  (He's not even meant to be running, just 'splayed out' in surprise.  I know, I know - never play Pictionary with Dash Decent.)

I think I stopped colouring it because I thought the stark white seemed to stand out better, and also because I drew the whole thing in MS Paint and it turned out pretty rotten - you can tell by Jesus' terrible toes and fingers, also the posing of the perp and his misshapen, mis-sized feet.  Drawing with the mouse is hard.  I probably gave up!

Anyway, that's the joke:
What could they update the name to now?  How about the AD becomes CE.
Okay, then who would stop the perp?
Jesus seems the logical candidate  (most interested in it staying as-is).  He also provides a Christmas connection.

It probably would've been posted closer to the end of the calendar - closer to the "Happy Birthday" - but I was quite tickled by JohnW's "Dash & St Matthew" joke, and it moved up the ladder.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Dash Decent on 14 December, 2023, 10:53:24 PM
Quote from: Trooper McFad on 14 December, 2023, 10:13:41 AMDash - steps up again but I have to say I'm surprised that The Mighty one is running after another being?

The joke is meant to be a play on those "change the title logo" type covers that would crop up occasionally.  Perhaps it's not clear because the drawing is so bad (even for me).

In this case someone is changing the "AD" to "CE".

You probably know, but there's a move in various circles to replace BC and AD on dates with BCE (Before Common Era) and CE (Common Era).  The dating is exactly the same, but it's seen as being more acceptable and neutral than BC/AD, which are Christian.  It's not just the "2000" in "2000 AD" that can be seen as out of date.

On progs gone by, it's been Dredd staring down creeps eyeing off the new logo and warning them to leave it alone.  For this idea I thought it would be Jesus stopping them instead, seeing as the AD 'belongs' to Him.

The guy altering the logo is just a random creep.  I don't know why I coloured his hair.  I think perhaps I was going to make him look like one of the perps previously seen on a real logo change prog cover.  He's not meant to look like Tharg.  (He's not even meant to be running, just 'splayed out' in surprise.  I know, I know - never play Pictionary with Dash Decent.)

I think I stopped colouring it because I thought the stark white seemed to stand out better, and also because I drew the whole thing in MS Paint and it turned out pretty rotten - you can tell by Jesus' terrible toes and fingers, also the posing of the perp and his misshapen, mis-sized feet.  Drawing with the mouse is hard.  I probably gave up!

Anyway, that's the joke:
What could they update the name to now?  How about the AD becomes CE.
Okay, then who would stop the perp?
Jesus seems the logical candidate  (most interested in it staying as-is).  He also provides a Christmas connection.

It probably would've been posted closer to the end of the calendar - closer to the "Happy Birthday" - but I was quite tickled by JohnW's "Dash & St Matthew" joke, and it moved up the ladder.

Apologies for mistaking the Character for the mighty one. I love your Daily Dash's keep them coming

Le Fink

Just catching up. A lot has happened! It's like the 12 days of Christmas.

Dash's snow globe (wow) and advent ammo (ha!)

Andy's Satanus Claws (stunning)

Funt's festive covers - these were after my time, but left to right and moving down, couple of Colin MacNeils, dunno, dunno, either Carl Critchlow or Kev Walker?, Steve Parkhouse, Sean Phillips? And Cliff Robinson

Sharky's great Dredd pic and enjoying the story, looking forward to part 3

Woody's Dredd / Santa shakedown - nice!

Dash's Jesus Prog - I got it!

Andy's Mongrel - ooo, atmospheric

Dash's tiny Santa - the fiends! DR and Quinch getting a few slots this year

Andy's Slaine's 'Santa sack of blood' - yikes

Another great set of submissions *applause*

broodblik

For the Festive covers, part 3 of 5:

Left to Right top to Button:
1. Colin MacNeil
2. Colin MacNeil
3. Jason Brashill
4. Kevin Walker
5. Paul Johnson
6. Kevin Walker
7. Mark Harrison
8. Simon Davis
9. Cliff Robinson
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

Zarjaz again guys.
Some great creativity and deranged minds on this board. Love seeing what everyone can do.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 16 December, 2023, 01:22:34 AMeleven script droids, fifteen art droids, five colourists and four letterrors.

#...and a partridge in a pear tree.#

(Speaking of errors, I cracked open the new Michael Moorcock Sexton Blake last night and the first error was as early on as the top of the second page (p.6).)
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JohnW

Excellent year in review, Funt. Just what my rubbish memory needs: someone to remember things for me.
Can't believe the things I missed or forgot about.
I'm glad someone shares my love for Deadworld.
Wholly in agreement about Assirelli's Transit van.

Dash, Andy, carry on.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Le Fink

How did you colour that one (Mean Machine Angel) Andy? It's got a nice texture to it. Very good drawing.

Appreciate the write-up too, Funt. Portals was perhaps hampered by a strange title. And as someone else (Richard?) said, might have worked better in B&W. No shade on Jim Boswell who does a great job on Proteus Vex. Not top thrillage for me but I was happy to read it all the same, good to have a new thrill. Wouldn't mind seeing some more.

Keep the double-ups coming Dash!

Trooper McFad

Well done again to everyone's submissions the double dudes are keeping the standards very high that's Andy, Dash & Woody youse are putting sprinkles on everyday

So the today's big thumbs up goes to Funt for his awesome recap of most of the progs stories this year. Thanks for this it's great to get reminded and I can now focus me re-read's.

Onto tomorrow 👍🏻🎅🏻

Andy Lambert

Bugger, I've commented in the wrong place AGAIN! I'm so sorry - I was up late trying to finish my latest submission and then up early for work.

Trooper McFad

You are forgiven Andy when you submit crackers like you have this morning well worth the wait/delay/switch with Colin.

Hoagy

Just, really excellent stuff, all round it's been a great pop in and see.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract