Main Menu

2023 Advent Comments

Started by Trooper McFad, 01 December, 2023, 06:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

Dash that's definitely not dull that's chuckle out loud

Andy you hit it out the park again- it gets me wondering what the story line be with a reindeer biting Dredd maybe Niemand can do it for next year's special 😂😂

P.S. I'll be dropping a special request later this afternoon on the submissions thread 👍🏻🎅🏻
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Le Fink

Andy that's brilliant - I think that's the best yet! Amazing attention to detail. Hooves coming out the gloves, ha!

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 20 December, 2023, 11:03:18 PMGreg Staples has painted his version of McMahon's classic cover, and I used both designs for reference, though mostly Greg's.
Oh look at that, I'd not seen that before, thanks for posting!

And Dash - another good 'un. Not long to go and I'll be sad when the Daily Dose of Dash ends.

Barrington Boots

Yeah, these are great. I'm in awe of the artistic skills of the people on this forum.
Like others have said, but sad this is coming to an end in a few days!

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 21 December, 2023, 07:02:13 AM(Would you consider a dice version of PI Klegg?)

Glad you had a go mate, sadly no red panda this time!
Dice could be incorporated but I think it'd be stretching the limits of the format, at least as a cheap and cheerful google doc with a farcical plot. I wouldn't mind a crack at a longer, more detailed, less silly story.. maybe with actual 2000ad stuff as I've tried to include any actual characters or locations in these. But that'd be a serious bit of work and would probably expose my lack of skill a lot more.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

JohnW

Macmac and catsblood all round!
Shot glasses of rocket fuel for everyone!
Lobsters in little knitted waistcoats of Prussian Blue!

Twenty-one years well spent, JayzusB.
I just can't wait for the hardback collection of your posts.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

The Legendary Shark

JBC, I love that Luke Kirby. A worthy milestone post!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Trooper McFad

JCB that's a great Advent and 10000th post.

21 years and 10000 posts I think you deserve a bronze star/badge (20000 - silver & 30000 - Gold)

Mods can you add this to JBCs avatar?

Colin YNWA

Well wow what a way to make your 10,000 post JayzusB.Christ - quite lovely and yet terrifying at the same time (and I don't mean the story, you are Finnegan Sinister!).

Many happy returns... and I guess I mean keyboard returns there!

Trooper McFad

Woody thanks again for another snowmen pic - I've always loved that view of MC1

Thanks also to Jake, Jim, Mike & Simon for their submission - I think it speaks for itself

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks for your kind words, all.

Quote(and I don't mean the story, you are Finnegan Sinister!).

I needed a touch of Photoshop to make my hair red and my skin pasty white - well, even pastier white - but I painted my nose red.  Not sure why, it's not a whole lot different without the paint. For my 20000th post, I'll be doing Lobster Random and Absalom, and I won't need any Photoshop or paint either.

Anyway, with the 10000th post out of the way, thank you everyone who has contributed so far for such an amazing Advent Calendar.  It's become a huge part of Christmas time for me, and this year hasn't disappointed.

Dash - you are tireless and brilliant and I love your cartoons.

JohnW  - firing on all cylinders as usual with both text and artwork.  The Wicker Man's Christmas jumper made my day.

Bad City Blue - absolutely  lovely.  Short but perfect.

Sharky - ditto; as usual first class art and prose.  And audio too! Truly my stocking bulges this year.

LeFink - Absolute nostalgia-inducing genius.

Vector 14 - A worthy rival to Dash's work in terms of fun and quirkiness.

Hoagy - A lovely Yuletide Sláine there, and one I may have unconsciously ripped off.  So cheers for that  :P

Funt - All those covers of yesteryear are just the tonic at Christmas, and I always enjoy a bit of annual-style text pieces.

Jim- Classic Tharg being a bastard. Love it.  I always forget you can draw as well as script and letter, you talented fecker you.

MIK - Now this is the kind of thing I miss.  The mad, random, funny stuff that Tharg used to give us in the annuals and specials.

Colin - Absolutely top-notch homage-work as usual.

Judge Woody - those snowmen will be imprinted into my brain for a long time to come.  Great stuff.

Staticgirl, you're one of a kind.  Your art style just oozes, well, style.

PJ - you're one of Tharg's droids, so obviously you're zarjaz.  I hope you get at least an extra oil ration this year.

Barrington, I really love the idea of the role-playing game.  I haven't played yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Andy - Without a hint of hyperbole, I think your work is truly awe-inspiring.  If I was Tharg I'd have already commissioned a year's worth of covers from you.

Trooper - what can I say?  Thanks for everything!

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Le Fink

Thanks Jayzus and way to celebrate your 10,000th - worth the wait!  :thumbsup:

Judge Woody

Thanks to you all regarding the Snowmen pics, they were originally intended as physical Christmas cards printed out and sent to friends and family. Each year I would have a theme, Who, Dredd, beaches, album covers, pieces of art. Hope they have entertained you, think I have just enough to get me to Christmas.

broodblik

Festive covers, part 4 of 5 (left to right top to botton):
1. Greg Staples
2. John Higgins
3. Tiernen Trevallion
4. Paul Marshall
5. Cliff Robinson
6. Colin MacNeil
7. Cliff Robinson
8. John Higgins
9. Cliff Robinson
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Just so great that so many folks are keeping this the strongest Advent calendar for years and years. Too much good stuff to mention individually but both Dash Decent and Judge Woody deserve calling out for their relentless creativity. Oh and how brilliant is that Jake Lynch (and co) image. The man is such a talent and that just shows he's getting better and better.

Trooper McFad your endless drive to promote this throughtout the year is really paying off. Take a bow sir, I for one am so grateful for how this has all paid off and its a treat everyday.

JohnW

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
...the Legendary Shark strikes a third time!

As usual, I declined to listen to the tune for health and safety reasons.
I think the picture could stand as the epitome of what the 2000AD Advent calendar is all about.
And the story? I found it deeply relatable, seeing as pretty much the same thing happened to me the Christmas before last. Talk about coincidence!
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Le Fink

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 21 December, 2023, 04:38:08 PMAfternoon all
I'm honoured to submit the below Christmas greetings from 4 Droids.

Mike Carroll - Script
Jake Lynch -Art
Jim Boswell - colours
Simon Bowland - lettering

Great pic, and the video link worked, nice to watch how the pros do it.