Main Menu

Lawless 2024

Started by GoGilesGo, 17 December, 2023, 08:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 May, 2024, 05:01:33 PMFOR GRUDS SAKE

Yeah, that fell through the cracks - TBH most of the up to date info is on facebook, I don't think Garth Ennis was listed on the guest list on the actual website

Bit late now, but the panel schedules are in the booklet

Le Fink

Mr and Mrs Trooper McFad:

Colin YNWA

Well quick(ish) sat on the train too tired to read report from YNWA.com.

That was an absolute blast. Can't believe it took me so long to get to Lawless as its everything everyone says it will be. The atmosphere is great, a lot less hectic than other Cons I've been too. The ratio of creator to punter means you genuinely get to see everyone and have a bloody good chin wag with most. The writers, artists, colourists and letterers were super lovely to a tee and were so generous with their time and happy to talk about just about anything.

For a small two day con there is so much to do, yet I never felt like I was having to compromise stuff, well aside from getting into too many chats with folks on Sunday meaning I missed all the panels, but that was cool and I was tired so chewing the fat with lovely people was defo the option to take for me.

I think the only gossip I can add to Le Fink's is Garth Ennis may have a short Strontium Dog thing lined up.

There are any number of new loviest people in comics to add to the list. Seeing the Great Dante Read Through live was an absolute blast and Edie and Simon F were just so generous with their time chatting to Irregulars like us.

The very best thing though is of course the 2000ad Fan Community is just the lovilest and shiniest in fandom. So many folks I just chatted to randomly whose names I didn't get but were a pleasure to be around to a fault.

The folks from this board however are the best of the best. From folks it was brill to finally catch up with again after far too long, Hawkmumbler, Dandontdare, Jim Campbell.

To the folks I'd not met before, but am very much looking forward to meeting again as soon as possible. Barrington Boots and Charlotte, Le Fink, and the Clan Trooper McFad just made the weekend and put the community into 'I love the comics community' just a joy to spend time with.

Thanks folks, brill weekend but I'm a wittering so will shut up now!

Trooper McFad

Sitting at a services and about to join a 45 min delay on the M6 further up the road to Cah-hab.

Reminiscing on another great Lawless.

As well as the usual things that make this a great weekend meeting up with  Boots and his good lady, getting a few great sketches. It was also one with man firsts:
First original page (Dante)
First cosplay 😳 see above
First meeting with Colin & LeFink
These were all great and added to a full and tiring weekend.

Here's to next year and I'd better start saving  👍🏻😁
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Le Fink

I'm back home, what a great weekend! Thanks to Colin, Luke (Boots) and Charlotte, Craig (Trooper) and Wendy for looking after this convention virgin. Got my first artwork, some convention sketches. Was sorely tempted to get some original 2000ad pages when leafing through work by Fraser, Burns, Weston, Davis, Dorey and Roach but the wallet was already smarting at that point.

Enjoyed the panels, Garth Ennis and Mike Carroll particularly chatty. Boo Cook and John McCrea added some amusing chaos. I didn't catch the Dante walkthrough but it sounded really good too.

Really enjoyed chatting to the creators, all super friendly and happy to chat and they do like a bit of positive feedback as quite often they don't hear much about their work after handing it in to Tharg! And it was an eye opener to hear even Chris Weston express a little dissatisfaction with some of his own work which to these eyes looked eye-bleedingly good.

Haul (with sketches by Austin, Cornwell, Holden, and Fraser):

Le Fink

PS GoGilesGo it was me in the Marriott, sorry I don't think I introduced myself!? I blame the exhaustion. Anyway should we meet again it's Jon!

Jim_Campbell

Good con, as always. Lovely to meet all of you that I met, and apologies to those I didn't... but you probably had a luck escape. I'm not going home until tomorrow,* so I'm posting this from the Doubletree bar with a glass of Laphroaig and a general sense of contentment resulting from a bloody lovely weekend.

Hoping to repeat the experience again next year and maybe chat with some more of you...

*Well, I say that... but I've just had a text informing me that my train for the second leg of the journey home has been cancelled. Going to sort that shit out in the morning, though!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

I sincerely hope peoples journeys home is less belaboured and...lets say 'eventful' than that of mine and DDDs! I know they're my home teams but I wish a pox upon both United and City, along with all their fans.

Confusion surrounding the schedule aside (wasn't even aware there was a physical copy, seemingly all gone by the time arrive at con) was mostly excellent catching up with familiar faces, Jim and Colin, delight as ever! Steve Green, my sincerest apologies for not placing a face to your name it's been a long time fellah but good to finally catch you though briefly.
Likewise Le Fink & Barrington, hope you enjoyed the rest of the convention lads and hopefully get a bit more time to natter in the future.

Can't be fussed posting my con haul as its just the two books but just having the opportunity to file through some original art is always worth the price of entry. Good con, a good day.

Steve Green

Glad you all had a good time, (apart from the journeys!)

No worries, I'm terrible with face/names as well!

Trooper McFad

If it's not been mentioned yet a big nod to the exhibition put on by David Roach - what a variety & quality of pages - super stuff and what can I say about that Lego exhibit, awesome stuff
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Jim_Campbell

[Forum desperately needs a 'like' button!]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Le Fink

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 26 May, 2024, 10:53:36 PMIf it's not been mentioned yet a big nod to the exhibition put on by David Roach - what a variety & quality of pages - super stuff and what can I say about that Lego exhibit, awesome stuff

Yeah that exhibition was terrific. I wandered around it about four times. Loved that Bellardinelli Flesh spread. I leafed through most of the David Roach pages, some lovely stuff in there.

The Lego guy said they'd shortly be breaking the whole thing up for their next project - unless someone bought it. They were asking for £3000.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Le Fink on 27 May, 2024, 06:52:46 AM
Quote from: Trooper McFad on 26 May, 2024, 10:53:36 PMIf it's not been mentioned yet a big nod to the exhibition put on by David Roach - what a variety & quality of pages - super stuff and what can I say about that Lego exhibit, awesome stuff

Yeah that exhibition was terrific. I wandered around it about four times. Loved that Bellardinelli Flesh spread. I leafed through most of the David Roach pages, some lovely stuff in there.

The Lego guy said they'd shortly be breaking the whole thing up for their next project - unless someone bought it. They were asking for £3000.

Yeah that's a very good point the gallery was astonishing. I spent a very plesent 30 minutes in there as my energy levels were flagging on Sunday. It was incredible the range of pieces on display. My visit was enhanced by the fact Mike Dorey came in at the same time to me and was chatting to a friend about various pieces and yes I creepily eavesdropped. Hearing his thoughts on pieces gave me such insight.

Le Fink

Some impressive and amusing cosplay too.

GoGilesGo

Finally left Bristol and while I'm not yet back in the sandpit, I'm still buzzing from Lawless 10. Great reconnecting with some boarders (Eamonn, Stacy, Lee) and lovely meeting some for the first time (Jim, LeFink). sorry to miss the rest of you (is there some kind of secret handshake??)

I managed to escape without buying any original art, though Simon Davis' Thistlebone and Pete Doherty's Ratfink pages almost got me. However I bagged plenty of signatures, bought a handful of collected editions and commissioned these three sweethearts:

Pre convention sketch from Mike Perkins. A5 and helpfully pasted into the bookplate of the Fiends  hardback edition

Crazy Barry and Little Mo by Chris Weston

Judge Maitland my Boo Cook

I would have taken either of these as black and white sketches. In colour they are sensational.