Main Menu

Best 2000 AD strips of 2023 (non-Dredd)

Started by norton canes, 02 January, 2024, 10:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

I find it really hard to be mad at Ian and his many multifaceted, wonderful collaborators for taking a little while to pen more of my favourite comics as, grud damn it, whenever I drop in and say hi to he and Disraeli at TB they're ever so very nice people.

Sod it, take all the time you needs lads, I'll wait until my back turns to dust before Helium Book 3, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

broodblik

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 10 January, 2024, 03:30:14 PMSummary: yes, "this guy" - hurry up and provide us more of Brass Sun, Helium, Kingmaker, Scarlet Traces and Stickleback. And maybe Ampney, if that's not done. Detonator XI?

Apparently we will get the next chapter of Kingmaker this year but it will also ending with this arc - so lets all touch all of us wood here to get lady luck on our side. I am hoping for Brass Sun as well.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

Quote from: broodblik on 10 January, 2024, 03:53:35 PMlets all touch all of us wood

I live in the US, so what you're suggesting is ... interesting. It is possible that some kind of homo-erotic ceremony would provide the mystical energy required for "this guy" to ... wait, is that sirens?
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

IndigoPrime

1. The Out: Still my favourite thing in the prog. Lovely stuff. Also subverting the original expectations masterfully, and then whatever expectations you had about what it might become next.

2. Helium: Would have been my number one, but, well, gaps. Bloody fantastic though. Superb art and a great story. I just fear it'll be well into the 2030s before we get more.

3. Azimuth: Despite my regular bellyaching about this, it started off really interesting and even when it was revealed to be the new Dexter, it was still very, very good. I'm intrigued to see where it goes. And, to be honest, I haven't given two hoots about Sin+Dex in a very long time. So it must be doing something right.

HMs to: Durham Red, Feral and Foe, Hershey and Proteus Vex.

Le Fink

Quote from: broodblik on 10 January, 2024, 01:30:32 PM
Quote from: AlexF on 10 January, 2024, 12:47:14 PMMaxwell's Demon - Am I the only one keen to see this develop as a series? It's like RoboHunter but with demons instead of robots, and lovely English countryside.

I would love to see it developed in its own series as well
+1

IndigoPrime

Isn't it being developed? Or did I hallucinate that? And, yes, that one was fun too. I should have added it to my HMs.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Le Fink on 10 January, 2024, 06:01:27 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 10 January, 2024, 01:30:32 PM
Quote from: AlexF on 10 January, 2024, 12:47:14 PMMaxwell's Demon - Am I the only one keen to see this develop as a series? It's like RoboHunter but with demons instead of robots, and lovely English countryside.

I would love to see it developed in its own series as well
+1
+2 vs. Demons

Blue Cactus

Maxwell's Demon was good but the fact that the Newcastle woman was named Jordy Coquet makes me wince every time I think of it.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 11 January, 2024, 05:43:33 PMMaxwell's Demon was good but the fact that the Newcastle woman was named Jordy Coquet makes me wince every time I think of it.

Oh, I just got the Jordy/Geordie bit. It's not Coquet as in "coquettish", is it? Because, y'know, vomiting a little into my cup of tea if that's true. The actual character in the story seems like she'd stab you in the eye with a fork if you called her coquettish.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 11 January, 2024, 06:59:54 PM
Quote from: Blue Cactus on 11 January, 2024, 05:43:33 PMMaxwell's Demon was good but the fact that the Newcastle woman was named Jordy Coquet makes me wince every time I think of it.

Oh, I just got the Jordy/Geordie bit. It's not Coquet as in "coquettish", is it? Because, y'know, vomiting a little into my cup of tea if that's true. The actual character in the story seems like she'd stab you in the eye with a fork if you called her coquettish.

I think it's probably pronounced the same as 'coquette'. I could be wrong but that's how I read it anyway.

Fortnight

norton canes

Absolutely definitely the last call for votes! Results imminent!

WhizzBang

norton canes

Quote from: norton canes on 11 January, 2023, 10:59:12 AMAs for 2023... will the forthcoming Abnett/Bettin blockbuster Azimuth embark on the first step of its own trio of triumphs? Can anyone knock 2000 AD's imperious scribe off his perch?

Short answer: Yes, and no! Once again, as one Dan Abnett saga drops back, another emerges from his oeuvre's serried ranks to take its place. Who would bet against us finding ourselves here in a couple of years heralding a hat-trick of hat-tricks?

1st    2nd    3rd    Total   
Azimuth66232
The Out72227
Rogue Trooper33318
Proteus Vex33217
Helium23315
Feral and Foe12310
Hershey1149
The Fall of Deadworld     317
Void Runners13
Maxwell's Demon 12
Durham Red11
Enemy Earth11
Hope11
Joe Pineapples11

Naturally that all depends on what future Azimuth has in store, but for now it's done what most of the Abnett droid's stories do and been instantly catapulted into its readers' affections. Tazio Bettin's phenomenal artwork has hardly been a hindrance, of course, and along with Matt Soffe's colours and it has to be said some pretty damn decent lettering, it's once again raised the bar for any competition.

Azimuth's success shouldn't obscure the continued popularity of The Out, which finished in a strong runner-up spot, closer to the top than third place, where we find Rogue Trooper heading up the chasing pack, having wowed us with the hard-hitting 'Blighty Valley'.

First-place votes for Proteus Vex, Helium, Feral and Foe, Hershey and Void Runners all demonstrate that the Squaxx have a diverse range of favourites, and with only a handful of strips receiving no votes at all (but plenty of honourable mentions), and after factoring in the year's wonderful Dredd, Regened and one-off strips, I think it's safe to say the GGC isn't wanting for talent. But Tharg, you might want to check the Abnett unit is fitted with those extra-durable thrill circuits.

Colin YNWA

Cool - great to see the results Norton Canes. Thanks for doing that.

While I knew Azimuth was well liked have to say I'm a little surprised it managed to topple The Out. We still live in a world full of justified Dabnett love. Also good to see the strength in depth on display there.