Main Menu

Regened is returning – to the Judge Dredd Megazine

Started by IndigoPrime, 21 May, 2024, 06:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

I don't buy the Meg, for budgetary reasons, so this doesn't really affect me, but it's a shame Pandora Perfect will no longer be around in the regular prog.

(Didn't the Meg used to come with a free extra comic? Couldn't they reinstate that and put all the Regened content into it?)

IndigoPrime

The Meg used to have a 'floppy' – a small format reprint of, IIRC, 64 pages. That simply got integrated into the main comic (the page count of which increased accordingly). So in a sense, the Regened stuff is going into that, just not in a magazine with separate binding.

Funt Solo

I dipped a tentative toe into the 77 Farcebook with my cornflakes this morning. One thing that struck me as amusing was how many people equate mature comic content with swearing, as if being a grown up means having access to swears. Then they'd linked the Regened announcement to some kind of imagined threat of their swears being taken away.

Coprolites.

(It does bend the mind a little to imagine some poor parent trying to do the right thing and maybe cutting out the Pandora Perfect pages so their little darling doesn't accidentally flip the page to a Titivillus scene.)
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Woolly

Quote from: norton canes on 23 May, 2024, 11:00:42 AMI don't buy the Meg, for budgetary reasons, so this doesn't really affect me...

(Didn't the Meg used to come with a free extra comic? Couldn't they reinstate that and put all the Regened content into it?)

Same here, so I'm not really qualified to comment on this thread.
But, like the brave Farcebook warriors, I'm going to comment anyway!

Honestly, this is a great idea.
No more moaning about missing out on 4 'proper' Progs a year, and ReGened becoming more regular in it's output (So hopefully some longer stories for Cadet Dredd, not just one-parters)

Maybe edit the Megazine so that the ReGened pages are printed in the middle, and can be easily removed from all the images of talking c*cks in Devlin Waugh?
Kinda like 2000AD Gold back in the Alan Barnes days (to which I owe my first ever reading of Fiends of the Eastern Front!)

Either way this is a win-win situation in my eyes, and I'll definitely be trying out the first Meg that features the new content.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Woolly on 23 May, 2024, 05:21:47 PMMaybe edit the Megazine so that the ReGened pages are printed in the middle, and can be easily removed from all the images of talking c*cks in Devlin Waugh?
That would only work if the comic reverted to stapled format rather than perfect bound. Unless Matt's got another surprise for us next month and the reprint is in fact packaged separately, like the floppy used to be.

Woolly

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 May, 2024, 06:22:45 PMThat would only work if the comic reverted to stapled format rather than perfect bound. Unless Matt's got another surprise for us next month and the reprint is in fact packaged separately, like the floppy used to be.

I'd be surprised if they go back to the floppy to be honest. Whilst awesome at times, there was a definite throw-away quality to the floppy that could make ReGened look a bit... cheap.

As for the Meg's current format... I'd forgotten that it wasn't stapled any more. Bugger.

Woolly

That said, taking the centre wad of pages out of a comic would look even cheaper.

Floppy would work better.

I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about, do I Ted?  ;)

Funt Solo

Sir Jaysen of Kangsley's entirely fictional response that I'm making up for the purpose of satire:

"In medieval times, talking genital automatons were often part of family entertainment. This time on Modern History, we reenact a typical village play involving a gay, vampiric exorcist, filled with ennui, whose only companion is a jolly phallus possessed by a demon!"
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Woolly

Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 May, 2024, 06:44:20 PMSir Jaysen of Kangsley's entirely fictional response that I'm making up for the purpose of satire:

"In medieval times, talking genital automatons were often part of family entertainment. This time on Modern History, we reenact a typical village play involving a gay, vampiric exorcist, filled with ennui, whose only companion is a jolly phallus possessed by a demon!"

I follow him on Farcebook. Recently, one of his stallions had a nasty kick in the c*ck.

Don't know where I'm going with this, but I reckon it can be written into Devlin somehow  :thumbsup:

lincnash

Quote from: Woolly on 23 May, 2024, 05:21:47 PMMaybe edit the Megazine so that the ReGened pages are printed in the middle

Like Whizzer & Chips of old?
Are you a ReGen-kid or a Megite?

I actually cancelled my International Tooth/Meg subs, due to financial constraints, a few years ago now. Simple as unticking the auto-renew button in the account page. Found it totally strange after 22 years subscription I didn't even get a "sorry to see you go, can we entice you to renew?" email. Subs communication went downhill after Denise-droid was allowed to retire on a small oil pension. She was great, went above and beyond if you ever had the slightest subs problem.

If Zuckerberg's Zombies are getting their U-fronts in a twist over YA comic pages in the Meg and threatening cancelling, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Me, I'll resub when I see the promo for the Megazine ReGened/Sex Olympics  issue  :-[ 

13school

I've been cherry-picking the stories I read in the Meg for years now. So adding new stuff I don't want to read doesn't bother me so long as there's still something in the mix I do (and I like Pandora Perfect, so that's a plus).

But adding the Regened material does also add a little to the perception that the Meg's a bit of a dumping ground. As far as the economics of it go, I get that it needs reprint or other material to keep it viable. But the wild swings in what the reprint / other material is over the years have left the impression that those slots will be filled with whatever's available, which does make it feel a bit disposable.

broodblik

Sometimes it does feel like the meg is a dumping ground but then you sit with excellent series like: Lawless, Dreadnoughts, Megatropolis, Devlin Waugh just to name a few
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

QuoteI didn't even get a "sorry to see you go, can we entice you to renew?" email
Although that's respectful. In fed up with services with dark patterns in cancellation, where it takes a dozen clicks to make your wishes known. Just being able to stop with one click is fair enough.

As for the dumping ground comments in this thread, I get the impression the Meg has flirted with viability on a number of occasions and so editors have done whatever they can to keep it alive. As someone with a full collection of "Preacher (half of), now featuring Judge Dredd", I find it hard to understand the backlash to 22 pages being given to some new strip. Especially given that those 22 pages have for several issues been reprinting Hookjaw. (Sorry, Spurrier: I like a bunch of your stuff. But this one really wasn't for me.)

Leigh S

While I'm sure there is a lot of faux outrage, I do think there's a genuine question as to how you integrate all ages content (not YA, pretty much all of 2000AD is YA appropriate) material with Devlin Waugh.

Just thinking of the practicality of a parent with a 10 yr old who has really been taken by Regened stuff (we have to assume they exist) who has to be told "nah, wait for the colections" or "OK, but dont read the rest" or "OK, let me explain about that side character in Devlin is before you ask"....

nxylas

Am I the only person who wishes they would lower the page count and ditch the filler? I guess there must be some economic reason for preferring a 132-page magazine padded out with creaky old Robot Archie strips to a 64-page magazine (or whatever it would be with all the reprints and text features taken out) with all-new material.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!