Main Menu

TOP TEN

Started by Devons Daddy, 20 November, 2003, 04:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devons Daddy

just a note of thanks to all who gave good reviews about this book.

i have just finished book 1.
after which i had felt compelled to thank all here for there suggestion to read this.

i shall not start book 2 till next week. i wish to re read book 1 again. its truly that good.
so thankyou board.
i cant remeber which of you it was. but i must say. this was bloody awesome.
hill street blues meets superheros is the best description i can offer.
im still amazed with how good it was.
that was a very very good book.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

JamieB

*beam*

There'll almost certainly be a SMAX THE BARBARIAN (spinoff series from TT) collection next year from DC, too.

Oh, and DD? Book 2 is loads better than book 1 ;)

Wait til you meet Joe Pi!

J-Bo-1

Oddboy

I think I also recommended it.

I leant a friend both books & the first two Smax issues last month. I'm seeing her again at the weekend & she wants me to bring Smax #3 so I'm guessing she liked it too.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Dunk!

Here's hoping that Alan Moore has got one more series of Top Ten in him before he retires - pure quality.

The transporter accident episode ia one the most moving story I've read in a long time and yet it involved people in tights!
"Trust we"

JamieB

....even if it *is* a steal from HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET ;)

J-Bo-1

Devons Daddy

i just completed book 2,

im speechless. that was beyond descriptive words i could attempt to spell.

the transporter incident. the new partner, Girl 1 and what happens to her.
Smax and his partners father. you feel his pain.
truly a standard of writing that shows why Alan moore is the greastest in the genre of this age.

book 1 and book 2.
on a par with the god father parts 1 + 2. both wonderful but the sequal even better and stronger then the orginal.
any person on this board who has not yet read this.i urge you to place it on your gift request list.

even a geust appearance by Walter the Wobot.
pure pleasure cover to cover.

I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

Oddboy

DD - now get hold of SMAX - a five part spin off series in which Smax & Toybox go to Smax's home dimension & we learn of his past.

So far up to #3.
Or you could wait (if you can) because no doubt they'll collect it as a book in a year's time.

It's *really* *really* good.

Devons Daddy

seen it on the shelf of fave comic shop here.my supplier in singapore told me had not read it himself. was trying to hold out for the last issue and would read it in one sitting.
i asked him why. he informed me he would get really uptight when orders where delayed and if he missed a single issue he would have to wait till the following month for the next delivery.

when you got a comic shop owner like this. you know you are in good hands.

I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

Mikey

Yeah,Top Ten is the business.Totally agree about bookII,but I had the same feeling after the first book.
And,no one has yet mentioned Gene Ha-this book wouldn't be as good,no sir,without his stunning visuals.
And for the first time in years I was *actually* excited by super powers during *that* battle(should I be avoiding spoilers?)
Haven't got any Smax issues yet,probably wait for the collected.

I think it's great that Alan is writing comics that are pure inadulterated FUN,after inadvertantly turning almost *every* book into a hand wringing 'oh,the burden!' type grimfest.Ok,I like a serious comic as much as the next guy,but entertainment,genuine entertainment,can be very hard to find,in any media.
Our beloved toothy was generally always a source,though IMHO :)

Hurrah for comics!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Tiplodocus

Brilliant - my wife has bought me Volume I and II for Christmas so it'll be a nice boxing day for me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Steamboy

drag this back up, got em while in Perth(the 2nd) will agree with everyone sentiments, This is how comics should be, fun, inteligent, moving. Anyone know how many books there are at the moment(not counting the Smax series)any more planned?
Just started to pick Alan Moore stuff up he is a bit of a genius isn't he, 1/3 of the way through Watchmen now can really see how this changed modern comics dark, grim, realistic(as it could be). can tell this aint gonna be a happy ending..

CU Krestel

Dunk!

At the same time that DD was recommended Top Ten, 100 bullets was also mentioned.

I'll take the re-emergence of this thread to say what a good recommendation.

I got the first GN for Xmas and have subsequently brought the other 5. Great story enhanced by fantastic artwork - the draughtsmanship is an outstanding mix of reality and cartoon which people like Morbius employ so well.

I'd recommend it to anyone.
"Trust we"

Steamboy

wasn't overly impressed with 100 Bullets when I got earlier(only book 1)but have been informed it gets better and better so I'll slowly build up my collection.

CU Krestel

Oddboy

Krest - so far there's just books 1 & 2, and the Smax series (Which I assume will be collected at some point).

Steamboy

thanks Oddboy, shame there's not Moore of it, looks like he's got Moore(ha ha) planned, says End of First Season(which I thought was a nice little touch concidering the series was like a heap of NYPD Blue episodes). Is Mr Moore gonna set his weird gods onto me for making such a bad joke?

CU Krestel