Main Menu

Prog 1382 Bad Cover

Started by test 4 echo, 22 March, 2004, 02:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

There will be Sov tanks, I'm delighted to say.

+rufus+

'job protectionism'? nope. I just like pictures artists have drawn/painted/sketched/pencilled. Haven't got anything against technology, Ithink Illustrator and photoshop are great. Frazier and Henry have both done stirling work with these tools.
I just think photo covers look low budget and third rate, hopefully one will prove me wrong eventually!
Gordon...sov tanks!!! mmmmmm.
Rufus

Capt.Zeep

Her clothes look nothing like they do in the strip (couldn't get a real women to wear such a ridiculous thong?) and her guns appear to be made of glued-together shampoo bottles.

The Monarch

Huzahhh for bang bang shooty action

anyhoo the worst thing in the prog was the cover followed by valkres (kind of a cack ending but surprisingly i liked the rest of the series) I didn't like red at all but dredd six/dex and rogue were okay.

all in all a slightly icky prog for me to be honest.

Mr D

I think Tharg is missing the point with Valkyries, it's not the nudity (IMO) we object to, it's not even the artwork, it's just crap. I'm all for a bit of naked female flesh, even a bit of lesbo action, but the stories just crap!!!!

Maybe so, in some cases, but plenty of people have just said they don't like the nudity, even on this board.

Scottiepunk

I think Tharg is missing the point with Valkyries, it's not the nudity (IMO) we object to, it's not even the artwork, it's just crap. I'm all for a bit of naked female flesh, even a bit of lesbo action, but the stories just crap!!!!

OK, Mr D, sorry, I should have said I not we. Do people on the board generally dislike nudity, even in better strips, like Dante for example?

judge dreddd

top cover and so far top prog !, ere, lets go raid some sovs !

GermanAndy

Cover: I was surprised that this was a photocover. But I liked it.

Dredd: good start. MIA anyone? *g Okay, I think that stuff like this "you can have my badge" over a problem like this is in a character like Dredd totally unbelievable, but I liked Hershey?s reaction. And I am a fan of Adlard since his great "The Establishment". So let?s see what happens.

Sin/Dex: A Sin/Dex story that wasn?t crap, nice. And I can?t get enough of Andy Clarke. More, please.

Rogue: nice art, good story.

Valkyries: Well, I liked it so far, even if I wasn?t a big fan of the artwork. Too ... well, colorful, and some of the character designs were plain laughable. Especially the super-soldier. I thought the whole nudie-debate quite ridiculous, because the whole sex-angle was a part of the story instead of the nudge nudge wink wink variety. But the end was more than rushed and dissapointing. This could have been much better. Aside from that it was fun and I wouldn?t mind seing it again. Better than stuff like Becq&Krawl *shudder.

Durham: no wonder the people have problems in this future if they don?t have enough light to read their instruments. The usual. Great, spaceoperatic designs on the one hand, hard to follow panels on the other. This could be much clearer told. Well, the story can got each way, let?s see. And definitly Hannah Chapter *gg

Proudhuff

Liked the cover no probs reading this on the bus (always the test)

Dredd is fab as he should be, those nasty Sovs, I think its a trap myself. Great art work, take note young Juves and muddy colourists. Chief Judge given some classic 'West Wing' style lines.

Sin Dex: enjoyed this, quite touching, good art.

Rogue: Working well, looking forward to a cull of old hand and some loose ends tied up ;)

Valsknickers: couldn't be arsed... sorry.

Durham Red, more Durham unreadable, muddy muddled and unclear, see Dredd comments.

Smughuff

DDT did a job on me

thrillpowerseeker

I dont think Kal Cutter shot the girl..he hasnt got the instinct for it..you can tell it a mile off.. he seems like one of these who likes the lifestyle and the idea of been a gun shark but lacks the necessary when it gets down to actual work..they may off him at the end of this tale??

T.P.S

Mr D

I dont think Kal Cutter shot the girl

I was thinking that.... That and the shifty boss make for an interesting first part...

judge dreddd

great prog, apart from the valkyries...i think the moral of this story is..if your going to try something new then make it a 'sample' episode in case its naff

Floyd-the-k

I`m with Indigo Prime on this one - Tharg is ignoring a lot of the negative criticism in his editorial. If the story was brilliant and Valkyries had been drawn by Carlos Ezquerra or Ian Gibson I think there would have been less criticism and what `the nudity will be bad for/put off younger readers` letters there were would be offset by a torrent of `this is fantastic` letters.
  Valkyries was a good idea (the idea being to do something very different with a bit of fun and some sexy pictures) but it didn`t deliver to say the least.

yours still wondering where Durham Red found the time to steal Lemmy`s moustache

Art

Rocking Sov-tastic issue. I particularly like the Hind-D based atmocraft with the wasp-stripe tails.

I'll get round to reading the other three stories sometime...

GordonR

I'll have you know, wyatt, that Norts are a ficticious race of future-war space-baddies, and are in no way, shape not form anything to do with Soviet-era Russians.  Or World War 2 Germans.