Main Menu

NHS??

Started by stront692, 13 April, 2004, 07:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stront692

this is a bit off_topic and im trying not to swear here

basically, my local hospital is an absolute nightmare, they have tried to kill my nan several times - the doctors dont care anymore

and now recently, a freind of mine since childhood has had one of those terrible accidents happen to him, he was a great guy, hes about 60 dd and he used to go for a walk for a few miles every day and id see him around and say hi

he never married, he looked after his mum until she died instead and hes inherited the house now, but he got ill an went into the hospital for minor checkups and with heart problems

during a routine analysis, the radiologist was taking samples or something and he accidentally injected all the crap into his liver (killing it)

hes now on dialysis and has had at least 20 years wiped off his life, he was quite fit and the results have come back that he needs a heart bypass - he would have got it, and like that

but now hes classed as too weak to have the operation - so the hospital has killed two birds with one stone (tommy and the waiting list figure he would have created)

i asked him what he thought and why he wasnt sueing them and he said,
'theres no point in sueing them, the money they pay me will come from other patient funding and i dont want someone else going thru what im going thru - it was a mistake and thats that'

ultimately this is the governments fault in asking doctors to work long hours and the chronic mis management of the nhs, underfunding is not the problem but sheer wastage of resources is

why doesnt the nhs just pay agency wages instead of creaming off 1000s of pounds in taxpayers money o bureaucrats and unneccessary 'legue tables' that can be manipulated to make it look like they are doing good

things like this just make me mad, of course the hospital has hushed it up and local media hasnt even heard about it??

Max Kon

the nhs is commpletely mismanaged, if they payed a bit more they would get all the good doctors and nurses that are working private into the nhs. bureaucrats dont do anything that might endanger their job so they'll try and reduce the number of them needed

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

I sympathise with your friend, Stont, first of all.

Accidental injections and the like are no laughing matter - what on earth happened there?

Severe foul-ups such as this happen, however - of course in a medical state of affairs their results can be devastating.

I do not think the NHS is as fucked up as it is perceived to be though - here in the UK we get the best health care in the world.

Unfortunate that blunders like this happen, and understandable those affected are unahappy about it.

:(

Priv8eye

Sympathies to your friend stront, that is a pretty shitty turn of affairs.

Unfortunately thse kind of incidents do happen, and in situations like your friends, where they are not likely to sue, then they do go unnoticed by the media, as the hospital is not going to publicise these incidents.  

The NHS has got bogged down with much middle management levels which they are now trying to sort out.  The staff remain overworked and are sometimes given little credit (or lip service only ) from their managers, who view the whole thing in a numbers and tables sort of production service, which a health care service can never be.

There are areas of excellent care out there, I have worked in some of them, but these rely on the team of people getting together and working against the odds to make things good, and even then, you are aware of the failings.

The NHS system is need of some form of over haul, it will take many years to sort out what has gone wrong within it.

The only sorry fact to that is that it means nothing to your friend, and will probably not stop such an event happening again.

stront692

of course, even more annoying is the fact that 20 miles down the road the 'wrexham maelor' hospital is a god send

overfunded for the number of patients its serving, spending too much money to make sure it is still allocated teh same (or more) the next year

and the nurses have the time to start around and gossip all day, they are under staffed - and not bcos they cant find them but bcos all staff have to learn welsh to work to work there and some wont, they also get higher pay bcos of this anomaly

the countess is in absolute despair, moral is non existent - the nurses dont stand around talking bcos they have nothing but bcos they dont want to do anything, the agency thing is annoying them

its quite annoying when my nan is ill and they all ignore her till i get there, then they realise they might get reported and swan all over us bcos i know the hospital (and them)

my nan came out with a little dispenser full of 100 odd tablets to take as well, when she went she wasnt on any of them

i was working at almedica as graphic designer at the time and checked the drugs out, half were experimental stages which his surgery would have got payment for taking - and he can privately invest in the drug company as well, then if one of the trials is successful he makes a packet

in the meantime hes using my nan as a guinea pig and not telling her the full facts about what hes doing, we threw the drugs back at him and moved her to another doctor but have come to the conclusion that u cant trust family doctors anymore

stront692

its strange really, i mean u always here about these things happenning but when it happens to someone u actually know who doesnt deserve it

it can be very annoying