Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Second place goes to ...

Petesmaskreplica's Tharg:

Jim_Campbell

Pausing very briefly to offer a congrats to Mini-Bolt for getting the most Honourable Mentions, it's my pleasure to announce that the winner is ...

Bongo Jack's scathing messageboard satire!

Take a bow, Bongo, and then reflect for a moment or two on the subject of next month's Art Compo, which is yours to decide.

Cheers!

Jim

Bongo Jack

Huzzah!  So cool to have won when the esteemed competition was so good.
Thanks to everyone who voted.  Dead chuffed at this, even if life imitated art a little - of which we do not speak.

Bit stumped for a follow-up competition idea, but I'll have a ponder...
Live forever or die trying

Bolt-01

petemaskreplica

Gosh, thanks!
Ooh, I've gone all shy now! :oops:

LARF

:-)

Thanks everyone, this has to have been my favourite so far.

Buddy

What is 'most Honourable Mention'.?

I got most honerable in a previous comp but still don't know what it means?

Put an old man out of his mysery!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "Uncle Umpty"What is 'most Honourable Mention'.?

I got most honerable in a previous comp but still don't know what it means?

Put an old man out of his mysery!

Early on in the revival of the art comp, it was decided to add an "Honourable Mention" category - a single additional vote separate from the main poll to allow people to recognize an entry that might not necessarily win on sheer artistic ability but which deserve mention for being the funniest, the most improved, whatever ...

This time around, Mini-Bolt polled more "Honourable Mentions" than anyone else.

Cheers!

Jim

Bongo Jack

God, I can't think of anything.  So I'll go the easy route of the first thing that popped into my head: "Wherever Do You Get Your Ideas?"
From looking at promo art and blurb for upcoming series (or stuff that's appeared in 2000ad in the past) and thinking "looks like Hellblazer/Bad Boys/LXG/Matrix/X-Files/Pirates Of The Carribean/Underworld to me", the compo is to take an existing property and come up with a 'coming soon' picture promoting the 2000ad equivalent - basically, pretend it's 2000ad's early days and you've just been asked by Tharg to come up with something based on a currently popular tv show or film (ET=Skizz/Pulp Fiction=Sinister/Dexter/X-Files=Vector 13, and so on).
The only rule is that you have to tell us where you got the idea if we can't guess ourselves.
Live forever or die trying

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "Bongo Jack"... basically, pretend it's 2000ad's early days and you've just been asked by Tharg to come up with something based on a currently popular tv show or film (ET=Skizz/Pulp Fiction=Sinister/Dexter/X-Files=Vector 13, and so on).
The only rule is that you have to tell us where you got the idea if we can't guess ourselves.

Brilliant! I really like it.

Compos traditionally kick off on a Friday, so I'll bung up a new thread on the 18th and we'll get to it once again.

Thank you for taking the time to come up with something, and we'll what you talented bunch of f*ckers come up with this time.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers!

Jim

Rio De Fideldo

I'm slightly confused about this new comp.

Are we pretending that it literally is 2000ad's early days (1977-1978) therefore things which were popular in the late 1970s should be used for ideas?

Or are you saying that the practice of basing new characters on trends in popular culture was something that was very noticeable when 2000ad first started (although it arguably still happens now) and that the competition entry should be based on anything that has been popular?

Finally are we looking at merging established 2000ad characters/settings with popular films/tv shows etc OR creating brand new "2000ad type" characters??

So many questions but I'm feeling a bit thick.

LARF

QuoteSo many questions but I'm feeling a bit thick.

Join the club.

A bit ambiguous this, the way I see it is:

Popular TV show - take this as a source of inspiration and turn it into a 2000AD style comic strip, for example:

'Cagney and Lacey' TV show - An all female cop duo set in modern day

'Lightening Claws' 2000AD strip - An all female cop duo set in the future, and they are lesbians.

Am I right?

Hoagy

Yeah. you get it Larf.
Or Alien into 2000ad is like the Raptaur.Yeah?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Jim_Campbell

Well, I was going to wait until the new compo thread, but to clarify my understanding of the next compo:

Skizz was 2000AD's version of ET, Sinister Dexter is 2000AD's version of Pulp Fiction. The challenge this time around will be to pick a film, character, book from popular culture and produce a mock-up of 2000AD might reinterpret (all right, rip off) that work - a dummy cover, a page of strip, whatever, to illustrate, f'r instance: 2000AD's version of The Cannonball Run; or John Smith writes the Sound of Music; Bagpuss by Garth Ennis and Simon Bisley ...

You certainly don't have to imitate a specific creator's style, you only have to try and find a 2000AD-style spin to put on an existing property, with the added fun of trying to guess what work people are ripping off, err, reinterpreting.

I hope I have that right, and that Bongo Jack will feel free to correct me if I've missed the point.

Cheers!

Jim