Main Menu

Recent posts

Creative Common / Re: Does my Art look big in th...
Last post by Nightbook - Today at 08:35:29 PM
Thanks for the kind words re: Armitage folks. Loving the ABC Warriors/Bisley fanart. That little drawing of Mek-Quake being chased by Mongrol will always make me smile. :D
News / Re: Regened is returning – to ...
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 08:03:46 PM
Indeed. Or endless fucking months of Mega-City Zero or Judge Beardy in The Blessed Earth. I really really hope Matt doesn't have to foist those on us. I'd sooner read the risible DC Dredds again. Not that I'd like to do that either.
Last post by Jim_Campbell - Today at 07:49:00 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on Today at 07:43:00 PMWhy not just go straight to the TPB with out putting it in a comic first?

I suspect, at least in part, because it's monstrously expensive and ties up great wedges of your cashflow for many, many months. Meanwhile, as IP notes, options for reprint are running low and pages still need filling. I'd certainly rather see a chunk of Pandora Perfect than some bottom-of-the-barrel reprint with a tenuous Dredd/2000AD connection.
Last post by Magnetica - Today at 07:43:00 PM
Why not just go straight to the TPB with out putting it in a comic first?

Not sure I'm too keen on it being in the Meg; I've actually been way more inclined to read the re-prints when part of the main Meg than the floppies.

And as others had said, regened content doesn't sit well alongside some of the Meg content. Especially Devlin Waugh and his... you know what...I'm not going to type it.
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 07:41:36 PM
Matt mentioned this in last month's Meg: "from next issue we'll be replacing one of the reprint slots with a pair of brand-new stories". So that suggests something in the region of two 10- or 11-page strips (which would match the Regened lengths). I've no idea how long these will run for, but you'd need, what, at least 60 pages for even a skinny trade? Unless they're going to be mashed together rather than standalone.

And, yeah, I've seen people bellyaching about this already. Thing is, the IDW well has run dry. Almost all the good stuff has been reprinted. I'd sooner have new strip in that slot than increasingly iffy reprint. And I certainly don't care for rebuying yet more strips I already own unless that keeps the comic alive should it hit a very rough patch (as has happened in the past).

So despite the weird tonal mismatch, I'm cautiously optimistic about this, although admittedly my thinking might change if we hear Lowborn High will be rocking up in the Meg next year.
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by Le Fink - Today at 07:40:10 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on Today at 07:11:34 PM
Quote from: Le Fink on Today at 05:37:18 PMA snap from the Vertigo edition for the heck of it. The paper quality is so-so but the repro is OK.

It's the so-so paper quality that stops the colours from over-saturating — I think that looks great, TBH!

Ah! Interesting. I was a bit disappointed with the rough paper but I suppose it's quite similar to the original comic paper? So it's hopefully going to look close to as was original intended. Anyway, it's fine to look at, which is the main thing.
Last post by broodblik - Today at 07:17:55 PM
adding to this it will have a more regular run as well
Last post by broodblik - Today at 07:15:01 PM
Interesting move. Basically it is just replacing the reprints (which in most cases I have not read at all)
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by Jim_Campbell - Today at 07:11:34 PM
Quote from: Le Fink on Today at 05:37:18 PMA snap from the Vertigo edition for the heck of it. The paper quality is so-so but the repro is OK.

It's the so-so paper quality that stops the colours from over-saturating — I think that looks great, TBH!
Last post by Jim_Campbell - Today at 07:08:56 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on Today at 06:08:12 PMSo this must just be a case of using page count in the Meg to build content for subsequent collections.

Pure speculation on my part, but this suggests that the TPBs have sold well enough for it not to really matter where the serialised pages run, as long as there's a book's worth at the end. (Which would kind of bear out what we've both been saying about Da Kidz preferred format for comic consumption.)

QuoteSo, for now at least, we'll be getting more original strip, for the same cover price.

Given that a lot of people say they don't read much of the reprint anyway, you'd think this was a win-win — they can just not read this new material as well, but at least it is new material. Well, you'd think it was win-win, but I've seen people bitching about the announcement on FB already.

Ahhh... fans.