Main Menu

The story you skipped....and never liked

Started by judgerufian, 01 May, 2014, 10:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

When I was assembling a run of the progs that I missed, I was getting all the 688-699 progs in random order.  Necropolis and Slaine made sense in any order.  Medivac 318 and even the second Chronos Carnival story were memorable enough that when I did get all the progs and read them in one go at last, everything clicked.

Dry Run I gave up on after my first, random, episode.  Probably part eight or something.  I told myself I'd come back to it when I got the whole 12 parts.  I made it through maybe four and gave up.  Years later, I tried again, and finally read every word, but it was all in one eye and out the other.  I forgot that thing within seconds of reading it.

Years later, about the same thing happened again with the second Ten-Seconders story, except I quit bothering with that after episode one.  ("Oh, God, it's even less coherent than the first one!")  Read it all when it finished, still stank.  Reread it for Thrillpowered Thursday, it never improved.

ZenArcade

There are surprisingly few recent 2000AD stories that I find unreadable (a testament to the prog at the moment as compared to the early 90's). I had a huge catch up readathon over the past year or so and am asolutley staggered by the quality of writing/art over esp the past 10-15 years. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dandontdare

I don't think I've ever skipped a strip, but there are quite a few that seem to have passed through my brain leaving absolute no memory.

And I know of at last one boarder here, naming no names, who's been getting the prog for decades and ONLY ever reads Dredd.

judgerufian

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 May, 2014, 05:05:33 PM

And I know of at last one boarder here, naming no names, who's been getting the prog for decades and ONLY ever reads Dredd.

Wow, he/she is missing the integral essense of the prog but hey, each to their own. As long as they buy it thats the main thing!!

JamesC

When I first started reading the prog (86/87 I think) it was Strontium Dog.
I just didn't get the character or what was up with the big Viking. I think it's partly because I'd got into the prog by reading a huge pile of the Titan reprints that my brother had borrowed from a friend and the single SD volume wasn't one of them. A few years later I read all the SD stories in Best Ofs round a mates house and was soon converted. It's now one of my favourite ever thrills.

Colin YNWA

While I won't name specific strips there are quite a few over the years and various re-reads that I've given up on. For me its one of the comics great strengths as perverse as that sounds.

Some stuff I wouldn't touch with a barge pole in another comic, or more specifically a none anthology simply 'cos I wouldn't expose myself to them. The fact that they are in 2000ad means they all get tried and even if I give up and they become skips, be it on first reading or subsequent re-reads (its funny how my feels both positive and negative can vary from read to re-read) at least I try them. Its mean I've discovered some quite wonderful stories the type of which I otherwise almost certainly wouldn't.

To do that ya gotta take the rough with the soft.

TordelBack

I don't think I ever skipped anything - although I probably skimmed Finn, Legend of Shamana and later Grey Suit and various Slaine: The Wanderer stories with one eye closed.  I love Pat's work more than I can adequately express, but when he does something I don't like I really don't like it.

Of course I did skip the whole damn Prog for the mid-late 90's, which may be a consequence of forcing myself to read everything in the months/years before my wilderness years.

Beeks

nikolai dante

Have never seen what all the fuss is about

I know..I'll just leave my coat and go...
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Daveycandlish

Since I came back  to the prog (with Prog 2000) I think I've skipped an awful lot of ABC Warriors and Slaine - the exception being the luvverly painted current story of Slaine (although I have no clue what's going on as I've missed decades of background tale!)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Magnetica

I have never skipped or skimmed a story in the Prog (since I started getting it continuously) or the Meg ever  - I have read them all.

There are some that I dislike more than others: Revere, Indigo Prime, Bob Byrne's Twisted Tales, Calhab Justice, Soul Sisters are the ones that spring most readily to mind but I still read them.

I do now find myself skipping / skimming the non 2000AD or Megazine world related text articles. I do somethings go back to them though, but do n't always read them properly.

Proteus4

Medivac 318 or whatever it was called
Big Dave
Halo jones (now I love it but back then I hated it)
Tribal memories
Big Dave
That Blair thing - was it b.l.a.i.r. 1.
Tyranny Rex - still haven't read a word of it! I will get round to it
Big Dave

I stopped reading the prog completely around 94 or 95 and only started gettin into it again last year - I've now bought every prog from 1200 to 1870, so I have a little catching up to do...

Cheers
Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

ZenArcade

Proteus4, at the risk of going off topic, it suprises me how many people stoppedin the mid 90's and like you and I came back on stream over the last 2 years. The Dredd 12 movie did it for me. Came back on at prog 1806 and havent looked back since. Z

Proteus4

Dredd did it for me too - there I was in the Odyssey cinema at midday on the day of release in a VIP showing feeling like a 12 year old again, And it was AMAZING.!

I took all my old progs out of storage, sold everything after 720 to when I stopped at 1024 and used that money buy more recent ones. I only wish I knew Wagner returned to Dredd in the mid 900's before I sold those ones but generally the prog from 700 onwards was Drek.

Cheers
Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

Theblazeuk

I used to skip Nikolai Dante, then I managed to catch up on what had happened in the first few chapters and suddenly it shot to the top of my thrill radar. Conversely Sin-Dexter is now almost a skip for me but was once my favourite thrill.

ZenArcade

Proteus4, stick your head into Atomic comics on North Street. Jim has boxes full of old progs, he's a straight dealer and shuld have the 900's. Z