Main Menu

Prog 1693 - Aces High

Started by flip-r mk2, 10 July, 2010, 09:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip-r mk2

Blag, will read later as to tired just now away back to bed night.

filip ;)
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

thejudgemuffin

Wow. am I the first....ok, here we go. Only read Dredd so far and to be honest that's enough. I think I'll leave the rest for a week cos that ending of tour of duty is nothing less than outstanding. All wrapped up, without being rushed and cracking conclusion after cracking conclusion after cracking conclusion. Some great lines along the way too. A really great episode, thank Mr W and Mssrs E a really nice politically (instead of monster threat) story that proves intelligent multilayered storylines work.

Nothing less that genius

Will I. Cooling

Spoilers for Dredd please...PRETTY PLEASE!
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Also, what happens to Cardew and Milan as well please?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

worldshown

For the benefit of Will and Batson.

[spoiler]Logan finds the missing SLD 88 in Sinfield's safe. Cardew and Millan are removed from the Council but not charged as there is no evidence linking them to Sinfield's plans. Buell and Garcia explain the evidence to the rest of the Council before administering a truth drug to Sinfield to get his confession. Niles and Dredd advise an astonished Francisco that he is Chief Judge again. Francisco only agrees to this if Niles and Dredd join the Council. The new Council sentence the unrepentant Sinfield to Titan as Niles and Buell compare him to Cal.

PJ Maybe is led to his execution. After failing to bribe his guards, he is faced with Dredd who advises him that the new Council overturned the death sentence four to two (Dredd voted against) and Maybe's sentence has been commuted to life without parole.[/spoiler]

Such an ending to Dredd, no wonder the rest of the prog is barely getting a look-in.

Anybody want to guess which version of Carrie Hosanna that is in Sin-Dex?

Feral appears in Strontium Dog, not quite the way we remember him and Mr Wagner cheekily claims his characters back in one caption.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

House of Usher

Great Prog. 9/10.

Judge Dredd: all is right again with the world.

The Red Seas: properly regrouped and ready for battle, a hiatus would be acceptable at this point; as it is, things are just starting to hot up (I hope!).

Sinister Dexter: I left this until last. It's a set-up chapter with no action. Sinister Dexter is past its best, but as long as it has a bit of shooting and ciomes up with a good audacious joke once in a while it's a worthy addition to the line-up.

Savage: It's all good this week. At last the question of 'why not just blow up the collider?' is addressed, even if just blowing it up still remains an option! For the record, methane is an odourless gas. Landfill sites smell of garbage, not methane. Most of the bin bags my neighbours put out on rubbish collection day smell of rotten meat and fag ash. That is all.

Strontium Dog: Interesting and a good read. These Robocians are a rum lot. No noses, cyborg body modifications, android logic rather than emotions, yet superstitious and prudish. Quite a dig at Ho Gan, the chronicler of the post-Alpha Strontium Dogs' adventures. Ouch. Middenface's alcoholism is a sad thing to see, and Feral is quite wretched. If this story has a moral, I don't think it's a happy one. "Everything turns to shit in the end"?

It's an excellent Prog, but notice how much is trading on past glories. There's a lot of dwelling on the past, which I seem to spend an awful lot of time doing these days myself. It's not healthy.
STRIKE !!!

Will I. Cooling

Worldshown you are a legend
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Colin YNWA

Steady prog for me.

Lets get it out the way 'Tour of Duty' after all the twists and turns they're are no more and everything wraps up, possibly too neatly. I wasn't bowled over by the conclusion to 'Tour of Duty'. It was a great episode not a great conclusion. The story just seemed to run out of momentum and all the threads closed up. The nature of the end was entirely appropriate, I was happy that there was not a flash bang wallop ending which won't have been fitting for the story. I was hoping however they'd be one more twist in the tale at the end. There wasn't. I wonder whether [spoiler]PJ getting a reprieve[/spoiler] was meant to be it. Alas for me it was too telegraphed. Overall 'Tour of Duty' has been a trimph and I suspect read as one this ending will read better but as a 'DRAMATIC FINALE' as the cover reported it didn't work for me.

A couple of other episodes this prog were treading water a little. Red Seas was steady and Sinister Dexter while I'm chuffed its back was a scene setter. Savage was fun as ever and Strontium Dog carries on a fine story.

All in all a good prog.

mygrimmbrother

Is it me or is that Tony Curran and Jamie Foxx on the cover?

flip-r mk2

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 10 July, 2010, 01:23:12 PM
Is it me or is that Tony Curran and Jamie Foxx on the cover?
Jamie Foxx, that's who it is I recognised Tony Curran but just could not place 'Ramone'.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Leigh S

Really laying into Feral again this week.  Enjoyed the Ho Gan dig, though to be fair, he did seem to be slooooowly trying to reverse the direction that FS and Ennis DogS had sent the strip, bringing back SD agency etc. 

Its only just now as I pondered exactly what was mutated about Feral (Carlos doesnt ahve a hint) I remembered Ferals nasty fighting beastie transformation power.... Will we see that in action, or will that be another of Ferals inventions - Shouldnt be, as i seen to recall Mcnulty being on the receiving end. Might be useful for getting him out of the hole hes in.

The longer this goes on, the cleaer this is that the next couple of episodes will be getting Feral free, then just an episode or two where Feral tells us whats up.  Or maybe a few episodes where Feral dies and the ending is left very vague!

Certanly ant see Alpha turning up in this and hoping for a "to be continued" leading to a part 2 later in the year.

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 10 July, 2010, 01:08:02 PM
Steady prog for me.

Lets get it out the way 'Tour of Duty' after all the twists and turns they're are no more and everything wraps up, possibly too neatly. I wasn't bowled over by the conclusion to 'Tour of Duty'. It was a great episode not a great conclusion. The story just seemed to run out of momentum and all the threads closed up. The nature of the end was entirely appropriate, I was happy that there was not a flash bang wallop ending which won't have been fitting for the story. I was hoping however they'd be one more twist in the tale at the end. There wasn't. I wonder whether [spoiler]PJ getting a reprieve[/spoiler] was meant to be it. Alas for me it was too telegraphed. Overall 'Tour of Duty' has been a trimph and I suspect read as one this ending will read better but as a 'DRAMATIC FINALE' as the cover reported it didn't work for me.

A couple of other episodes this prog were treading water a little. Red Seas was steady and Sinister Dexter while I'm chuffed its back was a scene setter. Savage was fun as ever and Strontium Dog carries on a fine story.

All in all a good prog.

pretty much how it made me feel too.  Enjoyed it, felt it worked but felt that as a 'finale' to everything that has gone before it, it lacked something.  Still at least the overall arc has opened up a lot of territory for future stories.  The more prominent role of supporting characters at times has been one of its strengths, perhaps now the meg will take advantage of this.

Quote of the prog: "on a quantum level everything that is going to go wrong already has so why worry?"

Robin Low

Quote from: Leigh Shepherd on 10 July, 2010, 01:53:25 PM
Really laying into Feral again this week.  Enjoyed the Ho Gan dig, though to be fair, he did seem to be slooooowly trying to reverse the direction that FS and Ennis DogS had sent the strip, bringing back SD agency etc. 

Not read this yet, but by the sounds of it I'm going to be pissed off. Ignoring Hogan's stuff is one thing, but having a dig is another, especially when Hogan's ideas were considerably more interesting than what Ennis offered up. But like I say, I've not read it yet.

Regards

Robin

Leigh S

Quote from: Robin Low on 10 July, 2010, 02:40:07 PM
Quote from: Leigh Shepherd on 10 July, 2010, 01:53:25 PM

Not read this yet, but by the sounds of it I'm going to be pissed off. Ignoring Hogan's stuff is one thing, but having a dig is another, especially when Hogan's ideas were considerably more interesting than what Ennis offered up. But like I say, I've not read it yet.

Regards

Robin

You could argue it actually brings them into the canon, if only as an alternate, and rather unlikely version of events that were recorded at some point after FS.....