Main Menu

Mark Millar's CLINT

Started by Emperor, 04 May, 2010, 04:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: M.I.K. on 28 October, 2010, 08:56:02 PM
Bought issue three today. Read Rex Royd. I will not be buying issue four.

I'm, surprised it wasn't the boobytrapped womb that did it for you. ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Spaceghost

I got issue 3 today. Read half of it so far. Kick Ass is sloooowly getting somewhere, they're really drip feeding it in to ensure it stays in the comic for as long as possible. Rex Royd was almost good this month, it just lost me on the last few panels. Not a clue what happened at the end. And the articles are definitely much, much better. The decompressed story telling is getting a bit annoying though. 2 splash pages in Kick Ass, one of them over 2 pages! When you only get 5 or 6 pages of a story, it seems like a piss take to take up whole pages that way. That said, it's still a meaty read and I'm enjoying it.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Emperor

Quote from: ozebane on 28 October, 2010, 09:21:56 PMI get what Frankie Boyle's trying to do, and his work is improving, I just wish Millar had the balls to edit the guy.

What I don't get is that there is a "Jim Muir" listed as co-author - even if there isn't much going on editorially you'd think the other writer might pipe up with a "I'm sorry this doesn't make any sense", especially with the first part which was almost incoherent and doesn't improve with a re-read after checking out the second part, which at least made a bit more sense.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

M.I.K.

Quote from: ozebane on 28 October, 2010, 09:21:56 PM
Why? It was the first truly coherent installment of Rex Royd.

Yes, it was the first episode that actually made sense but the character of Dirk Denby/Proteoman is obviously based on Clark Kent/Superman, and not just any Superman but Superman as played by Christopher Reeve. Even looks like him.

Understand why I don't like it now?

Quote from: Emperor on 28 October, 2010, 09:32:48 PM
I'm, surprised it wasn't the boobytrapped womb that did it for you. ;)

It didn't help.

Dog Deever

I really enjoyed it again.
Rex Royd is absolutely mental. I'm starting to like it. It seems only tenuously linked from one episode to the next so far- almost like the characters in old comics who had different adventures every week, rather than one continuous, finite tale. That's how I'm starting to read it, anyway. This time round was almost like two different 'adventures'. And oh how I laughed at them.

Articles are better again and I'm enjoying Nemesis and Turf a lot too. Like everyone else- I'm finding I want to see more of Kick Ass 2 in each issue.
I'm in for #4.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

radiator

Nemesis episode 3 is the dumbest comic I have ever read. It literally reads like it was written by a 13 year old boy, and kind of makes me feel a little embaressed that I read comics.

"Booby trapped the womb" should replace "jumped the shark".

Keef Monkey

Just read it this morning, actually chose to read it over the prog this morning, but that's more because I'm saving my prog for my sunday hangover read!

Again I really enjoyed it, Turf is still the highlight for me and is getting better all the time. Kick-Ass is short but sweet, and I have to say that when I've been re-reading Rex Royd I'm now almost enjoying it. Its still a story-telling shambles but something about its scrambled nature is starting to appeal to me in a weird way.

American Jesus is intriguing, not sure where its going to go with its concept and I'm still liking Nemesis, although people seem to be going off it. It might be because the whole [spoiler]booby trapped womb[/spoiler] thing was being spoilered on here almost a month before the comic came out (cheers!) but it didn't hit me as the massive moronic bombshell it seems to have been for other people. Didn't strike me as the best idea ever either, but I'd certainly been softened up for it.

Text stuff was again an improvement, the Matt Berry and Tarantino articles were genuinely enjoyable and a good fit.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Gavin_Leahy on 26 October, 2010, 11:06:22 AM
Haven't seen it in any of the comic shops around Melbourne, so I'm not sure if it's even available in Oz.

Possibly Diamond didn't ship sufficent copies? Stevie picked up his here http://www.dynamicduocomics.net/
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Robert Frazer

Out of curiosity, do we have any sales figures for CLiNT yet? Seeing as it's Millar's stated aim to make comic books viable in the British newsagent again, I'm interested to see if he's succeeding.
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

Emperor

Quote from: Robert Frazer on 08 November, 2010, 07:59:35 PM
Out of curiosity, do we have any sales figures for CLiNT yet? Seeing as it's Millar's stated aim to make comic books viable in the British newsagent again, I'm interested to see if he's succeeding.

I think the best we have at the moment is that it has done well. Worth asking it over on Millarworld if it hasn't already been addressed.

Paul faplad Finch

I finally got hold of #3 today after it failed to come in to my newsies. Thoroughly enjoyed it to be honest.

Even Rex Royd was decent, the best installment yet. If it continues to improve at this rate it could be something pretty special by the end.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Robert Frazer

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 08 November, 2010, 08:44:53 PMThoroughly enjoyed it to be honest.

Heh, it's telling that the first two issues were a wee bit duff when that sounds like an embarrassed admission. ;)

To be honest myself, I bought the first two issues mainly out of a sense of support-the-industry loyalty more than any real interest in the contents - I'd already read Kick-Ass and Turf in their dedicated books, Rex Royd was frankly repellent and while the Frost/Pegg interview was interesting the rest of the articles were pure filler. I was tempted by No. 3 as I'm a big Tarantino nut, but the voice telling me that Millar had had enough of my charity was louder.

This thread is making me reapprise myself, though - the positive reception it's getting is bringing me round to giving it another chance and buying No. 3 after all. Well done, Millar!
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: Robert Frazer on 08 November, 2010, 09:10:00 PM
Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 08 November, 2010, 08:44:53 PMThoroughly enjoyed it to be honest.

Heh, it's telling that the first two issues were a wee bit duff when that sounds like an embarrassed admission. ;)

Not embarrassed as such. The thing is, I was a pretty staunch advocate of the first two as well. Certainly never felt like charity (though I would have given it a couple more issues if it had done).

But yeah, there were kinks that needed ironing out and this is the one I've enjoyed the most so far.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

I, Cosh

I got into work the other day to find someone had left the first three issues of Clint on my desk. Read the first two so far and I'm a little bemused as I thought the first episode of Rex Royd was absolutely brilliant.

Maybe I was forearmed from reading some of the earlier comments here, but I didn't have much trouble following it, beyond the deliberate disorientation. There's at least one moment (the panel where he's fucking the world in the mirror) which nobody would think out of place in The Filth, but overall it read like a comedy New Statesmen. The second episode wasn't as good but still entertained me. Also, the art is comfortably the best in the package and I love all the little background things like Rex talking to a head in a bowl over breakfast.

Turf, which was the one thing in the mag I actually wanted to read, was decent but tortuously overwritten.

Of the rest, Kick-Ass 2 was deathly dull and I can't figure out if the art is stylised or simply bad. Are the spindly arms, wrongly placed knee joints, lollipop necks and wildly disproportionate body sizes of characters a deliberate artistic choice which I just don't like or is it incompetence?

Nemesis was pretty shite too. In my limited experience (these two strips so far and whatever he did for 2000AD before I stopped reading) of reading Millar, he sames able to come up with a good hook to hang a story on but all he can come up with after that is nastiness.

Still got number 3 to go, which I was interested to hear has a column from my favourite online film critic, http://outlawvern.com/ . And by "favourite" I of course mean "the only one I read". And by "the only one I read" I of course mean "apart from Buttonman."
We never really die.

Mardroid

Quote from: The Cosh on 13 November, 2010, 12:48:19 AM
Also, the art is comfortably the best in the package and I love all the little background things like Rex talking to a head in a bowl over breakfast.

Fair enough, all subjective and all that. I didn't mind the art although I wasn't over taken by the colouring. I definitely prefer the art of the other strips though.

QuoteTurf, which was the one thing in the mag I actually wanted to read, was decent but tortuously overwritten.

The first chapter is very exposition heavy, but that is toned down for the other chapters by a large margin (although you probably know that having read 3 issues). While this was probably one of my favourite strips at the start, I did find the third episode (by that I mean the one in Clint issue 3. Strictly I think it's part of part 2) a bit of a drag for some reason. The last page confused me as the panels made little sense... then I sussed it's actually meant as a taster for next issue. (I think.)

QuoteOf the rest, Kick-Ass 2 was deathly dull and I can't figure out if the art is stylised or simply bad.

It's a bit slow going as we're being delivered small bites sized chunks (and there were lots of splash pages in issue 3) but I'm really enjoying it. (Not really that original though but I like it.) As for the art I'd go with 'stylised'. I didn't like this artist's take on Dredd for that new US comic cover but I love it here. Bear in mind also Kick-ass is a youngster. He is supposed to be gangly, although it's exaggerated.

QuoteNemesis was pretty shite too. In my limited experience (these two strips so far and whatever he did for 2000AD before I stopped reading) of reading Millar, he sames able to come up with a good hook to hang a story on but all he can come up with after that is nastiness.

I'm largely enjoying nemesis, but I agree, it does perhaps get a bit too nasty, although I wasn't offended. (Rex Royd on the other hand, pissed me off last week. I'm not reading it any more, and I seldom skip over a strip, even if I dislike it. I haven't yet with 2000 AD.)

[spoiler]I thought the last chapter with Nemesis taking  out a massive load of men all by himself rather ridiculous. I understand he is a super-skilled hard nut, and I can believe he'd be able to beat the odds against, say 3 guards, even 5 at most, but that many?  (What was it? 99?) I'm pretty sure he isn't supposed to be superhuman. I figured he was basically what you'd get if Batman was an evil terrorist megalomaniac. And dressed in white.[/spoiler]