Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Quote from: Mardroid on 28 September, 2010, 12:02:28 AM
The job I hope to apply for this year is 7.15 an hour, but I also noticed when checking out another placement that the offering was less so it appears to differ from place to place.

Well, they're paying £5.95 an hour for the same job round my way.  :|

Life spugs because applying for jobs is harder than actually working. Glad I've got 9 hours labouring work on tomorrow.
STRIKE !!!

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Mardroid

Quote from: House of Usher on 28 September, 2010, 06:04:17 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 28 September, 2010, 12:02:28 AM
The job I hope to apply for this year is 7.15 an hour, but I also noticed when checking out another placement that the offering was less so it appears to differ from place to place.

Well, they're paying £5.95 an hour for the same job round my way.  :|

Yeah, it's all rather varied (although the other job I saw was more than that).

The 7.14 job (I was a penny out. Heh.) is in Croydon by the way. I don't know how far that is to travel for you, but... just in case.

Actually I might be applying for another similar agency role that is around the minimum wage mark because at 3 months it'll probably be longer than the Royal Mail role. (That's usually around 3 weeks, but I should see for sure when they post me more information.) Feels so wrong to do that, but it still works out more albeit by working more hours. Sigh.

House of Usher

A survey of 70 Royal Mail offices reveals that 53 are offering £5.95 an hour for casual Christmas sorting staff, and 17 are offering better than that, depending uopn how easy it is to recruit in the neighbourhood.
STRIKE !!!

Mardroid

That explains Croydon's better rates I guess, being a suburb.

Spaceghost

Quote from: King Trout on 21 September, 2010, 02:24:41 PM
Bit mixed up here. I don't normally post in this thread, but wondered if anyone has had a similar experience.

A colleague has been found dead, in circumstances that are so far unexplained. It has been said it was an accident, but there is other, even more tragic talk. We just don't know yet.

I was one of several people who, despite liking the guy, found myself in conflict with him recently. It was nothing extreme, but when someone's gone you start to second-guess your own behaviour. I'm not sure how to feel about the whole thing, but I do know I feel very bad, for him and his family.

I don't see what could have been done differently but still several of us aren't coping very well.

Any advice? [spoiler]I've already tried cheese. It only helped a little.[/spoiler]

- Trout

I certainly have had a similar experience. I had a close friend who killed himself by throwing himself in front of a train. We'd been at a party and he just sort of disappeared at some point. People were saying, "Where's Nat?", "Oh, he'll have gone wandering about, he'll be back.".

We'd all been taking various 'substances' at the party and, indeed, most of the time in that period of our lives. He'd been getting more and more depressed apparently but he was hiding it well. He was a beautiful guy, really intelligent, caring and witty. He was a real loss.

And if that's not enough, I have another similar story. A couple of years ago I was working as a fraud investigator for a large high street bank.

While I was looking into one of the cases, I uncovered some dodgy goings on from within our company. One of the senior staff was faking fraudulent applications and then transferring the money into his own bank account. When I was sure, I took it to my manager and showed him the evidence. The senior member of staff in question was on holiday at the time and a big investigation was launched culminating in the police arresting him in the office on his return to work.

While he was awaiting trial on bail, he commited suicide by feeding a pipe from his car exhaust into the drivers window. I felt really bad for a while as it seemed like I'd caused his death but colleagues were very supportive and I came to accept that none of it was my fault.

Not a pleasant episode by any means but there's no accounting for the actions of desperate people.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Trout

The Doctor Alt 8

Croydon is where I live.
When I tried to get a temp Post office job they refused to recuit me because I am female...

"No allowance is made because your a woamn and you would be exspected to handle maill sacks, without equipment because your temp staff that wiegh 40 kg... there would be no point in continuing"

I pointed out that this was illigal, temp or perminant staff are entitalled by law the proper equipment to compleate a job without risk of injury...

Answer "We know this and have pointed it out to the post office... they just ignore us... sorry."

In other words until someone HURTS themselves lifting these sacks and sues the post office... they woun't surpliy those trolleys you see perminant staff using to deliver mail. Morons.

I have been diddled by two E. bay deallers. Neither item has arrived. Neither seller has responded to the polite question "Have you sent my item ?"

And a cousin of mine is dieing of cancer .

chilipenguin

That is really sad news Doc. My aunt passed away a couple of months ago after losing her battle with breast cancer. It's a horrible time for everyone involved. My thoughts are with you and yours.

The Doctor Alt 8

Thanks for that chilipenguin ...
seems all my family (and eventually me) are due to die from one form of cancer or another... they are all different so it isn't a genetic thing...

Mardroid

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 29 September, 2010, 05:08:54 PM
. they are all different so it isn't a genetic thing...

Not meaning to be a doom-monger, but it still could be considering the way it spreads. (Not that I know much about cancer, I'm just thinking of the fact it is essentially a mutation of cells.) On the bright side, if they catch it early they can often deal with it nowadays and at least your for-warned.

Not that I'm saying you'll get it. It runs in most families I think in some way or other.

Roger Godpleton

I had a beautiful balsa wood stick and I ruined it.

I snapped in half.

Then later when I was imagining what corpopral punishment would feel like I accidentally bit into it too hard leaving visible bite marks. Then I had to bit into the other half so they matched.

I must have used one of the bits near the snap locus as a snack so now I cannot superglue it together in a convincing simulcrum of perfect cylindricalness.

I am a fucking piece of shit who ruins everything good that comes into his life.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Van Dom

I live in Ireland.
What a shithole.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

I, Cosh

I just pulled out a nose hair and it was completely white. Almost transparent, in fact. Like a polar bear's fur.
We never really die.