Main Menu

(Atten: Rebellion) 2000AD is the new Marvel

Started by Tarantino, 29 December, 2003, 09:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marbles

"And I suppose that means your going to give yours away as a promotional tool? Thought not."

Well I give mine away - I leave them on the tube after I've read them & scanned the decent stories (ie none from the 2 progs before Prog2004!;)

I'd personally say thats an excellent promotional activity - what the Yanks call viral marketing - more people should release their progs onto an unsuspecting public !!

How hoarding back progs at crazy prices helps 'promote' 2000Ad God alone knows. Give them to a non-scrot to read - you may just get another convert that way.

Remember - dry hair is for squids

Woolly

I keep trying to get my Girlfriends daughter to read tooth, but im afraid she is a non-scrot and keeps dissing it!

Tsk, youth of today, etc...
(She has read some of Preacher, though, so i may be able to convert her if i keep trying!)

Slippery PD

Well I give mine away - I leave them on the tube after I've read them & scanned the decent stories (ie none from the 2 progs before Prog2004!;)

Well yes since my last thread with mr T, I gave my 9 months or so progs to my local charity shop, we dont have a tube here on the south coast.  Hopefully they get some money, some kid or whoever gets the prog, I have no clutter which keeps mrs slips happy, eh?

Yer Slips

longmanshort

Without being critical, I don?t see anyone else on the board trying to promote 2000AD

http://www.arthurwyatt.co.uk/patpage.jpg">

The above photo was seen by around 100,000 newspaper readers in the North Yorkshire area.

The defence rests ....
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

stront692

lms that could also be bcos most people would try to promote 2000AD away from the site

(like above)

anyone promoting 2000Ad on the site is... preaching to the converted

or selling their wares

The Monarch

Well i did manage to get several of my friends to read tooth and it's suceeded...

Me on the other hand i have no problems getting hold of back issues....now James robinsons Star Man however...

Floyd-the-k

I`ve come to this late but here goes...
  I think 2000 Ad already has its` own universe. I would like to see it go back to the old large sizes, not that there`s much hope of that.
  Like DD said above, there`s nothing wrong with trying to make money out of something you like - but it doesn`t have much to do with promoting it.
  Like Paul von Scott, I wouldn`t care too much if my progs went to zero in value tomorrow (I would, however be happy if they skyrocketed).
  I used to like Marvel because they had good stories and art. WHen I tried to go back to them in the 90s the stuff I saw was all awful, whilst 2000 AD was cool
  A good movie would promote the thing, as would more reprints and giveaways
 I read a British magazine which gives subscribers the opportunity of sending 2 free copies to friends with each issue. If 2000 AD did that, a lot of people who stood a good chance of subscribing would subscribe. Of course it would cost a fortune

yours resolving to complete his collection,

Floyd

madgirl

I am going to be a real stupid newbie here. What do you mean by tooth? I've seen it several times. Do you mean 2000ad in shorthand?

BlackThrash

madgirl

took me a while to get used to people sayingit too, but yup they mean 2000ad

opaque

>I also probably have the biggest collection of Judge Dredd and 2000AD paraphernalia in the world!!

opaque

What do you have then? The pinball machine like Logans? I love all the bits and bobs so would be interested to know what you have (Getting the gronk pattern would be like finding the holy grail)
How many pieces of orginal artwork do you have? (and why aren't they listed on the site lol join us join us!). As you obviously want 2000ad things that rise in value then surely forget about the progs and go for the artwork! Much more money in that I'm sure, especially if you have been buying from many years ago and got some of the earlier artists.
As long as they are not printer copies or fakes or merely pasted on pages I would assume that theres loads more money in that side of things. And totally unique things that you have the only copy of. Choose your own price then surely? (Why not, look at the mad prices for some pieces).

My goal this year is to have over 100 pieces, so thats 17 more this year to get.

stront692

i just love comics really, i have always been into them and i wuite like superheroes too

my collection is out of control and has become an obsession i am afraid

i would recommend taking a look at marvel again now and also any decent 80s to 90s DC when they were still fighting for market share with marvel quite fiercely (now that they own the major distributor they dont bother)

its quite strange really but since MARVEL went bankrupt all the people that used to be cashing in there are now working for dc and MARVEL now puts creator names on covers and hypes them up until they are established whereas DC used to fulfill that role, i would give them a try again as their output is quite decent (they cant affore to put out any filler material is how they have put it themselves, they need titles that sell theirself)

stront692

if 2000AD is the new marvel then they will go bnkrupt flooding the market with pap, then change hands and resume doing what the fans wanted them to - rather than annoying fanbase to sell copies

stront692

Tanky

Comix rule, tooth rules, but I think i'd rather have a purple lightsaber.

Darth Tanky