Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoagy

I watched Seven Pounds the other day and in a way it relates to The Box article from X too. An unsettling beginning while I settled into the idea of a "departure" for Will Smith. Then confusion as to where its head and its tail was. Then the conclusion that the moral of the tale is that anyone crashing cars because of mobile phones should kill themselves in a bathtub with a jellyfish and donate their organs to strangers come friends. Hilarious.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

SpetsnaZ99

Quote from: Lee Bates on 13 October, 2011, 10:44:24 AM

Quote from: SpetsnaZ99 on 13 October, 2011, 10:34:03 AM
Ill say you are great, but only if you confirm that you were in The Fisher King

Who me? I've never seen The Fisher King so I don't unnerstand.

SBT was in the Fisher King, I'm just trying to establish whether you've both worked together
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

COMMANDO FORCES

I watched Daybreakers yesterday. It's a vampire flick where the vamps, who became vamps due to a plague have taken over and their blood supply is running out. Yes folks that's the humans are running out!
It's not the best of films by a long way but I found it very entertaining. Some superb visuals and some over the top, I have to admit, especially with some of the deaths but never the less it didn't detract from the plot.

I won't go into the plot as you can find that on IMDB but I did enjoy the way that the [spoiler]cure[/spoiler] came about, a nice twist. This also leads to a slight problem, especially near the end when you sit back and think how will that be spread, without more carnage!
They also showed an underclass of vamps due to lack of blood and drinking their own they mutated into feral beasts and I was expecting a mass war with them but it never came. One scene of execution with these beast by the vamps was well portrayed and reminded me of Amistad on the prison ship!

I think it was all the little touches that added to my enjoyment of the film. The daylight modes for vehicles, the cityblocks with tubes running between them, the child at the begining. It was these bits that took it above your standard vamp flick.

7.5/10

Tiplodocus

Which Tarantino films has Tim Roth been in? Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and...
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mudcrab

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 14 October, 2011, 12:44:29 PM
Which Tarantino films has Tim Roth been in? Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and...

Four Rooms, if you can count that, as it's only 1/4 a Tarantino film. I'd look it up for any others but that'd be cheating  :D
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Spaceghost

Quote from: SpetsnaZ99 on 14 October, 2011, 10:37:49 AM
Quote from: Lee Bates on 13 October, 2011, 10:44:24 AM

Quote from: SpetsnaZ99 on 13 October, 2011, 10:34:03 AM
Ill say you are great, but only if you confirm that you were in The Fisher King

Who me? I've never seen The Fisher King so I don't unnerstand.

SBT was in the Fisher King, I'm just trying to establish whether you've both worked together

Sorry, you've lost me pal.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

SmallBlueThing

And me :/ . I feel there's a gag brewing, and i hope it lives up to all the groundwork being laid...

SBT

fresno bob

Just finished Batman:Year One http://www.movie2k.to/watch-Batman-Year-One-online.html// an almost panel for panel adaptation of Miller & Mazzucchelli's story. Enjoyed it,but while all reference to Gordon smoking was omitted, they had no problem including an under age prostitute stabbing Wayne in the leg.
You know why the Professor never got laid on the island, don't you?

Keef Monkey

We watched Fanboys the other night, looked like it could be good brainless fun. It wasn't sadly, as there just weren't any laughs. It was one of those comedies where the situations probably looked gold on paper and the plan was probably to put funny people on camera and let the chemistry do the rest, but it all gets very forced and awkward.

It does however have Kristen Bell in the slave Leia outfit, and she wears it like a champ.

SmallBlueThing

I don't know who she is, but she looks great in that, and I probably would. As for the Year One film- that looks great! I don't have the patience to watch online, but will be ordering the DVD fairly soon, I think.

The last thing I watched was a night of the extras on the 2 disc edition of George Romero's Survival of the Dead- which arrived yesterday, after a year of having to suffer the vanilla UK version.

I know I'm in the minority, but I really loved Survival- it's a great story, with likeable characters, a fantastic cast and Romero plainly having the time of his life. It being a Western, of sorts (based upon The Big Country), opens the series up to opportunities previously unexplored. It has a magnificent, and hilarious, twist two thirds of the way through that only George could possibly get away with, and some nice, competent (rather than spectacular) effects work. As a Romero Dead junkie, I realise I look at these things differently than you might, but for me his zombie films are the pinnacle of entertainment, and that he's made six pleases me no end.

Of the extras, there's a feature length documentary that follows the filming, umpteen tiny shorts in the form of interviews or gags, a short film called 'Sarge' featuring Alan Van Sprang that takes place after the events of the movie, screening footage, storyboard comparisons and a 'How to make zombie bites' instructional video that I'm yet to watch. Plus a commentary with all the usual suspects.

Most excitingly for me, Romero is revealed to be in rude health throughout, despite his advancing years- showing no evidence of slowing down, and reveals he has plans to make "two more" Dead pictures at present. He acknowledges that time isn't on his side, and says that he'd PREFER to take a break and go make some other kind of movie first, but admits that realistically that's not going to happen. He cites funding and the studio system as the main obstacles to this, so concedes that as he loves his zombies so much, and has so much fun making them, and has found in Toronto a group of people who he enjoys working with as much as he did Savini, Buba et all in Pittsburgh, he's likely to get a seventh (and hopefully eighth) Dead picture underway next.

Of course, all this was shot back in 2008/ 2009, and as yet there's been little if any movement on a new one- but it's heartening to know that we might possibly get a third instalment of the 'Sarge' story (and a fourth Alan Van Sprang romero zombie film) made under the circumstances under which Romero so obviously thrives.

Bring 'em on, George!

SBT

Keef Monkey

That sounds like a great package! I also really like Survival (although not quite as much as Diary, which I wasn't initially sure about but which I now love), and was pretty gutted when I bought the blu-ray and saw the lack of extras.

SmallBlueThing

Yeah, glad to hear it. I think like each and every Romero zombie flick since Day, initial audience-disappointment will eventually become acceptance then love as the years go past. I, too, love Diary. Romero's Dead movies are all so different, and NONE of them are in any way like Dawn- you either appreciate that, and embrace what he does each time... or you dont, and mourn the fact he's not interested in making another one like that. Personally, ive learned to trust him and the thought of two more has me more excited than any number of other movies.

And the dvd has a brilliant 'turny two ways to make the picture move' cover (whatever that's called, i forget) that features a hand bursting out of the ground and a close up of the featured zom from the back of the uk box- only here, he's got bad, chipped, teeth.

I got mine off ebay for about nine quid. Best purchase in ages.

SBT

Mardroid

There's another Romero Zombie film? Did Survival.. go straight to DVD? The last I Dead film I heard of was... I think... Island of the Dead which I've yet to see.

I think Day of the Dead is my favourite in the original trilogy, although the previous two are good and probably more in the public mind*.  I enjoyed Land of the Dead. As for Diary..., I confess I mentally switched off while I was watching it. I think I was probably doing something on my laptop while it was on and so wasn't giving it my full attention, but I remember getting a bit bored with it.  I'd be happy to grab a copy at some point and give it a proper chance though.

This Survival... seems to have flown straight under my radar.  It does actually ring a bell, so maybe I read some 'in production' blurb somewhere. I like the idea of a Western with zombies, although I'm curious if it's a western in the traditional Old West sense or more a modern red-knecks in trucks thing. I'd watch either although I'd prefer the former. A kind of post apocalyptic western would be welcome too.

*I could have replaced those five words 'more in the public mind' with the one word 'iconic' but that's become a bit of an overused cliché. I think it applies here though.

SmallBlueThing

Island... was the rumoured working title for Survival. They shot the whole movie under the title '? of the Dead', and apparently no one can remember where the final title came from, or who suggested it. Romero's favoured title was 'Enough of the Dead!', though he also liked the pun inherent in 'Isle of the Dead' (I Love the Dead).

So you havent missed one, youre just looking for it under the wrong name. It's the sixth Romero Dead film (Night, Dawn, Day, Land, Diary, Survival)

SBT

Mardroid

Hmm. That's curious. I'm sure I've read an entire (rather negative) review under the old name a good while back. Maybe it was from a preview screening when the name was still undecided.

Or my memory is playing tricks.

EDIT- Don't get me wrong, I believe you.  :lol: