Main Menu

DREDD V'S CTHULU !

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 31 August, 2008, 11:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Did DREDD or JUDGE ANDERSON ever encounter the Cthulu mythos by bonkers author H.P Lovecraft ?
I watched monster movie 'Cloverfield' and came up with this idea since the sooner the monster ate the annoying brats in 'Cloverfield' the better.

The HELLBOY series of comics and films seems to be influenced to some degree by Lovecraftian horror and I've seen a pretty awful looking film entitled 'CTHULU' advertised on YOUTUBE so will we see more horror type stories in 2000A.D ?

Tell us, oh mighty THARG and bring meaning to our lives ! :D
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

Howard himself was a main character in the fondly-remembered Necronauts, and several stories have touched on various Elder Gods and Old Ones.  Perhaps most notable was Zenith, where the main antagonists were the Lloigor, and Robert's son [spoiler]turned into Iok Sotot (a thin disguise for Yog Sotthoth, the Lurker at the Threshold, the Key and the Gate and the Guardian of the Gate, who froths as primal slime in the nuclear chaos beyond the nethermost outposts of time and space etc.)[/spoiler].  But I don't think Dredd himself has had much truck with Ol' Tentacle Features, possibly because Ry'leh is already an Iso-Block in all but name.

Kerrin

Currently reading the recent commemorative "Necronomicon" and whereas I've been aware of Lovecraft for a long time (seem to vaguely remember dabbling with 'Call of Cthulu' at school) it's the first time I've actually read any. What a great writer, really enjoying it.

You could certainly have a Dredd story involving the Cthulu mythos and wheras I'm not entirely certain about the geographical boundaries of MC1, I would have thought that the areas that Lovecraft concentrates on i.e New England, Vermont and so on are pretty damn close to being part of the city. So how about cuttlefish headed monstrosities in some sector or other, could be nicely confusing what with the current mutie influx.

"Mutie ID creep!"

"Awfully sorry officer but I am a transdimensional eater of souls" it said in a voice like the buzzing of hornets. "Um...diplomatic immunity?"

"Drokk"

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: "Kerrin"Currently reading the recent commemorative "Necronomicon" and whereas I've been aware of Lovecraft for a long time (seem to vaguely remember dabbling with 'Call of Cthulu' at school) it's the first time I've actually read any. What a great writer, really enjoying it.

You could certainly have a Dredd story involving the Cthulu mythos and wheras I'm not entirely certain about the geographical boundaries of MC1, I would have thought that the areas that Lovecraft concentrates on i.e New England, Vermont and so on are pretty damn close to being part of the city. So how about cuttlefish headed monstrosities in some sector or other, could be nicely confusing what with the current mutie influx.

"Mutie ID creep!"

"Awfully sorry officer but I am a transdimensional eater of souls" it said in a voice like the buzzing of hornets. "Um...diplomatic immunity?"

"Drokk"
Dabbled with Cthulu at school eh? Admit it Kerrin, your just waiting till 'the stars are right !' :P

― Nikola Tesla

Richmond Clements

QuoteWhat a great writer, really enjoying it.

He is indeed.
The Rats in the Walls and Dreams of the Witch house are two of the best, scariest tales ever.

However, be wary of his non-Cthulu stuff... there's one in one of the omnibus editions about cats on the moon or something that is just plain bad.

Kerrin

Cheers your Lordship, I'll bear that in mind. And Mr.SYSTEM when the stars are right there's a Shoggoth with your name on it. You can run, you can hide but always will come the plip-plopping of ancient fishy feet. MWAA-HAA-HAA-HAAAAAAAA!!

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: "Kerrin"Cheers your Lordship, I'll bear that in mind. And Mr.SYSTEM when the stars are right there's a Shoggoth with your name on it. You can run, you can hide but always will come the plip-plopping of ancient fishy feet. MWAA-HAA-HAA-HAAAAAAAA!!

MY GOD-THAT HAND THE WINDOW,THE WINDOW   AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHRGFGGGHH ![/color]

― Nikola Tesla

IAMTHESYSTEM

Did I really start this long forgotten thread? Blimey, looks like Cthulu's trying to make contact or is it spam? !

― Nikola Tesla

Zarjazzer

And it will sink back to the inky depths until the stars are right...
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

ThryllSeekyr

I though Star gods from the Slaine Time Killer arc were suspiciously  LoveCraftian.

Guledig, which happens to mean 'The Great Ruler or High King' of Britain of something like that.

The Aten. That is supposed to be 'The Great Sun Disk' of Egyptian mytholodgy.

Grimnismal. One of the many identities of the Norse God Odin and described as the soiled Prince of Thrones from pages of 'Time-Killer'.

Sorog - The one without pity -whose crimes shamed a star-system.

Niohoggar - The galactic gourmet who tried to suck the cosmic egg.

The Dreaded Gomboo - The World Doppelganger.

Even the Sea going Formorians remind me of the Deep Ones.

Also look up FINN for more work inspird by Cythulus Not that I have read as much of Finn that I have read of Slaine. The few Finn stories I have read always had some tentangled god being or some other worldly monster in it.

Wouldn't  Nemesis qualify also. He's one of the Dark Gods, isn't it.

WoD

IF...if I wanted to have a look at the Cthulu books, where would I start??

Richmond Clements

Quote from: "WoD"IF...if I wanted to have a look at the Cthulu books, where would I start??

Right here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omnibus-Mountai ... 216&sr=8-3

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "His Lordship rac"However, be wary of his non-Cthulu stuff... there's one in one of the omnibus editions about cats on the moon or something that is just plain bad.

Tish and piffle!

Modern revisionism, that's what that is, Mr Rac. His Dunsinian stuff is certainly an accquired taste (as is Dunsany himself), and a lot of his early tales are hard going, but it does him a diservice to write off all the non-mythos stuff.

The Temple is one of the creepiest things I've ever read, a ghost story set on a U-boat during World War One that unwillingly brings a curse down on itself. The power fails, the lights all go out, and the sub begins to sink, deeper and deeper into the ocean as the crew go quietly mad...

Then there's The Tomb(?), another sort-of ghost story in a fairly traditional mold but cracking nonethless, a barmy tale about a monstrosity that lives in a tower and a certain short serial by the name of Herbert West, Reanimator...
@jamesfeistdraws

Richmond Clements

Fair enough, Mr Jimbo!

I've not read The Temple- but I shall track it, and The Tomb, down forthwith!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "WoD"IF...if I wanted to have a look at the Cthulu books, where would I start??

I'd recommend this series - //http://www.amazon.co.uk/Call-Cthulhu-Stories-Penguin-Classics/dp/0141187069/ref=pd_sim_b_2 (three books in all, follow the links on that page to the other two).

There are infinite collections of Lovecraft about, but what I like about that series is that you not only get an introduction to each one about Lovecraft himself, but each story has an explanation of how it came about, what gave Lovecraft the idea, what his influences for each story were, and also has extensive annotations explaining the various Elder God-names and suchlike.

Even the worse stories don't seem so bad when you can understand where he was coming from and put it in context...
@jamesfeistdraws