Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 09 May, 2023, 03:38:22 PMSounds like you're talking about the Holy Cross Stand off. They didn't just threaten, they threw bricks, water balloons filled with piss and even a pipe bomb. About a mile away from where I live now. Thank fuck The Troubles are still over. Or at least downgraded to The Squabbles.

I seem to remember it, or an event like it,  even made its way into a John Wagner Dredd around that time, with Simps and Norms standing in for the real nutjob extremists.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 09 May, 2023, 09:01:37 PM...MORE British than any of you...

I was surprised to discover that the most British are the Welsh, although this depends on how you figure things out. (I'm referring to the Anglo-Saxon invasions pushing the "original" Britons west until they all started singing and talking to dragons. My Welsh history is based partly on a single history book and partly on Ivor the Engine, see?)
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

JohnW

Quote from: Credo! on 10 May, 2023, 02:24:26 AM
Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 09 May, 2023, 09:01:37 PM...MORE British than any of you...

I was surprised to discover that the most British are the Welsh

Or you could take it a step further and say that, because of the continuing westward infiltration of Saxon holiday homes and the consequent dilution of Welsh culture, the true Britons can be found south across the sea in Brittany.
We didn't have Ivor the Engine when I was little, and had to make do with De Excidio Britanniae instead.

For those who don't know, De Excidio Britanniae (The Ruin of Britain) is a 6th-century screed regretting the decline of the country due to wokeness sinfulness, and remembering the good old days of the British Roman Empire, and strong leaders like Churchill Arthur who put a stop to foreigners swarming in from the Continent.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

sheridan

Funt Solo

Vauxhall-maker warns Brexit may force it to close UK factory

I was going to suggest you'd only have to wait seconds for all the Tories to line up and remind us of how great Brexit is, and of how the car-maker if incorrect - but the rebuttal and refusal to acknowledge reality starts right there in the article, with Guv'nor Rishi banging on about his list of made-up benefits.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Funt Solo

Ben Roberts-Smith: Top Australian soldier loses war crimes defamation case

I've always thought it a bit at-odds with the job description to expect professional killers to also be heroic. I suppose it depends on definitions, but blindly honoring people in that line of work is, at best, rose-tinted.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Gene Simmons: Kiss star calls for Stormont restoration

What is...........what? This IS the news.

If I had a penny for every Kiss related post I've inflicted this board with, I'd have two pennies. That's not a lot but it's weird that it happened twice...
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 05 June, 2023, 06:47:34 PMBen Roberts-Smith: Top Australian soldier loses war crimes defamation case

I've always thought it a bit at-odds with the job description to expect professional killers to also be heroic. I suppose it depends on definitions, but blindly honoring people in that line of work is, at best, rose-tinted.

I know what you mean.  All this 'thank you for your service' stuff - fine, but why not extend the thanks to firefighters?  They put their lives at risk without trying to kill other people.

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 08 June, 2023, 10:28:58 PMGene Simmons: Kiss star calls for Stormont restoration

We're in Brass Eye territory and no mistake. I just wish he'd been wearing the makeup when he met IP jr.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 05 June, 2023, 06:47:34 PMBen Roberts-Smith: Top Australian soldier loses war crimes defamation case

Train people to kill other people and they do awful things shocker.

To quote a bit of Pat Mills - "One day killing is your duty and the next day it's wrong to go around with a necklace of ears."
You're a dark horse, Boots.

JohnW

Johnson out on his arse and Trump answering criminal charges.
What's next? Peace in Ukraine, Halo Jones 4, and free ice cream for everyone?
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Leigh S

It seems clear from this statement that this is just a temporary necessity so he can ride in after a Starmer Victory to "defend" Brexit.  Though he has set himself a few hurdles as he would need to get himself a safe Tory seat to become PM again.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

It was a bad day for bloated politicians with shite hair.
You may quote me on that.

Leigh S

Jsut watching a video on how he has bought a house in Henley, "coincidentally" just a few days after the current Tory MP announced he wouldnt be standing at the next election, so his plan is pretty transparent.

Funt Solo

A spoof from Politics Joe: Goodfellows: Boris Johnson resigns as an MP

Trigger warning: Tories.

JohnW

War Marshal Prigozhin settles his differences with Supreme Judge Putin.